what are your thoughts of muslims playing afl?

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't AFL run based on the idea that the best players in the country play AFL?

If they are Muslim, Christian Athiest... who cares? If they are great at what they do their Religion, Culture etc should not come into it at all.

Why do they have to cross a white line to play? Is that some sort of assimilation expectation? Should we put that in the new citizen tests? Or maybe change the colour of the line.
Last time I checked, the boundaries were drawn in white, hence making it a "white line", hence the phrase "white line fever".

The point was that it really doesn't matter what religion someone is - Only what they can do on the field.

What a stupid question! Sorry, but it has to be said.

Religion shouldn't have an affect, full stop. If they are good enough to play at the highest level they should be inclined to the same treatment as everyone else, though if the shoe was on the other foot they should get heckled for their football prowess, or how little they appear to have. Football is 'our' game (which includes Muslims, Catholics, etc who were born and raised in Australia).

Why do we have religion?:confused:

PS what a stupid question in the first place, because he is muslim what makes him any different from anyone else? Why would his ability be any different? Why didn't you ask what our thoughts are on a plumber or electrician or a garbo playing AFL? Maybe you should have asked, would certain commitments due to his religion make him unavailable for certain games, if so, I would have issues otherwise Care factor minus zero.

i got a few muslim mates at work and i never seen them lay down a mat and face mecca. They make up for it though by going to the mosque after work every few days so i think it'd be cool with bachar.

I lived in a predominantly muslim country for years and I cant see being a muslim hindering his progress through the afl at all. [tongue in cheek]Maybe if AFL was muslim and he was another religion he might struggle for the captaincy (cricket yousuf youhana converted to Mohammad Yousuf)[/tongue]

btw in response to an earlier question. the footballs are made of cow hide (or synthetic in cheaper models) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherrin . Pigskin is just an american slang term for the football (american - gridiron) and as far as I know afl footballs have never been made of actual pig skin.

sorry if i affended anyone but the truth is i am muslim and i was woundering what u guys think of them playing afl

Well wounder no more ....I think Muslims playing AFL should be ok ..just as long as those Mormons or seventh day adventists don't get drafted ..because .....well because .....oh wait who gives a flock what religion the players are :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry if i affended anyone but the truth is i am muslim and i was woundering what u guys think of them playing afl

AFL can be a great way for ethnic/social groups to integrate with the established mainstream culture AND for the mainstream culture to feel more connected to them. I think it's a no-brainer - an obvious good thing.

People probably don't remember, but the Greeks and Italians had big problems with the established, caucasian Australians when most of them first arrived after WW2, but it all settled down over time through integrative scenarios such as AFL (as well as school etc etc). To me the Muslim component of the population is relatively new but also highlighted because of the Septemeber 11 divide. It'll all settle down over time.

Originally, humanity's attempt to lengthen our existence so that when we die we get more time in another dimension.

However,during the past 2,000 years people have used religion as a basis to increase power in order to have more control and to justify acts of brutality.

Now we have the legal system and politics for that ;)

Many Muslims have played AFL in the past, why is it a talking point now?

VicToCDoull.jpg
;
story.tape1.image.jpg

Bruce Douli was known for his extreme shyness.
He currently resides in a cave somewhere in north Pakistan.

Here's a point:

If your religion encourages a strong work ethic then it may help you in AFL.

Catholics therefore have a disadvantage to say, Buddhists (in general, of course).

Why on earth would Buddhists have a greater work ethic than Catholics?

I can tell you didn't go to a Christian Brothers school.

Apart from Brett Kirk, I can't think of many footy Buddhists. More great Catholic players have come from St Pats in Ballarat than the Buddha has man boobs.

Remove this Banner Ad

what are your thoughts of muslims playing afl?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back