what are your thoughts of muslims playing afl?

Remove this Banner Ad

If ramadhan (sp?) happened during a football season, he'd get seriously dehydrated during day games.

But seriously, I don't care whether Houli is muslim or not. I'm more interested in whether he can kick, mark, tackle, handpass etc. If he can take a critical pack mark in a close game, or kick a winning goal for the Bombers; that's far more important than his religious beliefs.

And how are these problems?

theyre not. in fact i think it will make him a better player without it. somebody mentioned the 5 time prayer. only prayer that would interfere with his game is the afternoon prayer which can be done after the game from what i recall as long as its done before sunset. as for fasting, he was exempted from the fasts at the draft camp. i know a lot of muslims that run and play sports while fasting so if theyre used to it i doubt it would affect them.

I don't want to get into the issue of whether muslims can play footy. It shouldn't make a difference what religion someone is.

I have however a scenario that could easily occur as a result of a devout muslim playing footy. What happens if a muslim player is playing footy and an opponent sledges him by calling himn a suicide bomber or some such silly comment. If the player is called a muslim so and so that is straight out religious vilification and the AFL has the protocols to deal with it.

If a reference to the muslim's player's religion is more oblique - such a reference to some terrorist act - is that religious vilification.

I don't want to get into the issue of whether muslims can play footy. It shouldn't make a difference what religion someone is.

I have however a scenario that could easily occur as a result of a devout muslim playing footy. What happens if a muslim player is playing footy and an opponent sledges him by calling himn a suicide bomber or some such silly comment. If the player is called a muslim so and so that is straight out religious vilification and the AFL has the protocols to deal with it.

If a reference to the muslim's player's religion is more oblique - such a reference to some terrorist act - is that religious vilification.

Good question - I think it would be considered racial. Reminds me of when Dean Jones got sacked last year for calling a south african player who is muslim a terrorist.

Imagine:

Israel v Lebanon
Greece v Turkey

Aussie Rules?
18-a-side?
At Optus Oval?

Some might say it would never happen. But it did...

Multicultural Cup 2005

Probably the only teams sport in the last decade to get Israel and Lebanon on the same paddock. It's great to see our sport overcome all these barriers and that is why it should be played all over the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

what are your thoughts of muslims playing afl?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back