Opinion What if Brisbane win the premiership AND get the number one draft pick this year?

Will you be mad if Brisbane win the flag and get the number one pick this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm beginning to feel that the game and modern sports has moved past F/S. It is a great storyline and is sweet for the family but in terms of integrity in the competition it's a bit of a farce.

Of course the Vic clubs are going to have way more opportunity to get F/S selections, and further to that the scenario described is a big reason why it shouldn't be in a modern sport. A major point of the draft is equalisation but you're undermining it the instant you allow a team to take someone who they have no right taking just because their Dad played for them 20 years ago.

I'm in favour of either scrapping it or making teams pay much more for the selections. You shouldn't get a top 5 talent because you forfeit a few picks in the 40s, that's a joke.

I don't get this idea, please explain how Vic teams have way more opportunity to get a F/S?

Apart from GWS & Gold Coast, every other team has been in the competition over 25 years now. Getting to 100 games takes usually what? 5 to 6 seasons?

How do Vic sides get more opportunities to F/S picks these days?

I can tell you as a Bomber supporting living in Brisbane in the late 1990s/early 2000s that I hated the Lions plenty.
The two best sides of the era. I can understand that

and-loving-it-get-smart.gif

Big game from the soon-to-be number 1 pick Will Ashcroft in the VFL today. Game-high 29 disposals, six clearances and a goal.

Going to be a massive coup for Brisbane.

Well it’s very doubtful, but even if we did, aren’t the solutions already baked in to the system?

The higher up the ladder we are, the less draft assets we have to match bids, therefore we have to compromise more of our draft in matching.

The father son rule injects much needed emotional currency into a game that is otherwise becoming very commercial and plastic.

And yes, expansion clubs are temporarily disadvantaged until they can breed their own father sons however we all paid the price for that during expansion drafts.

Well the real question could be what if Brisbane win the next 3 premierships AND still get a potential No.1 pick in Levi Ashcroft in 2024 ???

While I shudder to think what the odds would be against that again I would have to say that I would be perfectly happy with that outcome and would not feel the slightest element of angst or guilt at such an outcome. :cool:

Bigfooty itself would benefit from the threads comparing the 2001-3 Lions with the 2022-24 Lions!

That being said I equally shudder to contemplate what the spiritual successors of the unlamented Eddie would do to our Academy etc with such ammunition (and no it doesn't have to be logical)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yes, expansion clubs are temporarily disadvantaged until they can breed their own father sons however we all paid the price for that during expansion drafts.
Except that's not actually true. All non-Victorian expansion clubs other than Gold Coast and GWS were given the opportunity to father-son players from their local leagues if they met the criteria deemed suitable by the AFL at the time. That's how West Coast got Ben Cousins. Here are the local father-sons:

Brisbane - Steven Lawrence (Southport), Shane Morrison (Wilston Grange)
Fremantle - Brett Peake (East Fremantle)
Port Adelaide - Brett Ebert (Port Magpies - even though he wasn't actually eligible according to the AFL rules at the time)
West Coast - Ben Cousins (Perth), Ashley McIntosh (Claremont), Mitch Morton (Claremont)

Then you add the father-sons that Brisbane and Sydney were afforded via their Victorian connections:

Brisbane - Jonathan Brown, Josh Clayton
Sydney - Sean Dempster, Stephen Doyle, Heath James, Gareth John

So, in reality, only Gold Coast and GWS have 'paid the price' as you put it and your club has benefitted from local football connections, Fitzroy connections and now Brisbane Bears/Lions connections. Meanwhile the Suns and Giants will have to wait at least another 10 years before any kind of father-son pick comes through.

It was announced earlier this week that Brisbane father-son prospect Will Ashcroft has nominated the Lions as his preferred destination heading into this year's national draft and most experts have had Ashcroft down as the number one pick for most of this year. It seems pretty likely that West Coast or North will make Brisbane pay full price for Ashcroft by bidding on him with the number one pick. The Lions also happen to be on the edge of the top 4 right now and seem like one of the legitimate threats to win the flag this year. Brisbane would be the first club ever to win the flag AND secure the number one draft pick in the same year if everything goes according to plan for them.

How would you feel if this played out? Last year we saw the Bulldogs make the grand final and secured father-son pick Sam Darcy with pick two and we also saw the Dogs make the first round of the finals in 2020 when they secured Jamarra Ugle-Hagan with pick one but we've never seen a team win the premiership AND get the first pick in the draft in the same year.
Th Father-Son rule is the biggest joke in world sport.

Simply preposterous.

If the lions win it (I doubt they will ) but if they do good on them and if there father son pick in the draft happens to be the best player in the pool even better ...didn't the dogs contend and pick up Sam Darcy in a similar scenario

Is it any worse than Richmond winning the premiership then bringing in the biggest and most expensive free agent in Tom Lynch in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What if Brisbane win the premiership AND get the number one draft pick this year?

Back