Opinion What if Brisbane win the premiership AND get the number one draft pick this year?

Will you be mad if Brisbane win the flag and get the number one pick this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Up there with the level of draft picks/concessions that Gold Coast Have gotten over the years
Yes, much worse.

When the Gold Coast was brought in, there was a financial decision made by all the clubs to make them competitive from the get go.

As much bullshit as that was, and the havoc it wreaked on clubs that were reliant on the draft at the time - there was at least some logic to that decision. Some actual logical thought went in to it. It was a proper strategic decision that was designed to provide benefit to the broader competition.

But the Father-Son rule??? In a modern professional sport??!!

A billion dollar industry that has a Draft and Salary Cap in place, rules against Draft tampering and other measures to ensure the integrity of the game in relation to List Management - has some archaic nonsensical rule that allows a club to get dibs on the best players in the country because their Dad played 100 games for them???!! I mean seriously, what an absolute joke.

It's actually really funny when think about it.

It's just so absurd that it's hilarious.

All in the name of 'feel good' and 'romance'. I mean Jesus. We actually give clubs a significant advantage, in a billion dollar industry, cause some old farts think it's cute that a kid gets to choose to play for his dad's club!!

How about we start paying goals instead of points in Grand Finals to give popular players an elusive flag? Cause you know, romance.

How about we stop paying Free Kicks that result in unpopular results? Cause you know, it's feel good.

It's just idiotic. Unfathomable.

Last edited:
Yes, much worse.

When the Gold Coast was brought in, there was a financial decision made by all the clubs to make them competitive from the get go.

As much bullshit as that was, and the havoc it wreaked on clubs that were reliant on the draft at the time - there was at least some logic to that decision. Some actual logical thought went in to it. It was a proper strategic decision that was designed to provide benefit to the broader competition.

But the Father-Son rule??? In a modern professional sport??!!

A billion dollar industry that has a Draft and Salary Cap in place, rules against Draft tampering and other measures to ensure the integrity of the game in relation to List Management - has some archaic nonsensical rule that allows a club to get dibs on the best players in the country because their Dad played 100 games for them???!! I mean seriously, what an absolute joke.

It's actually really funny when think about it.

It's just so absurd that it's hilarious.

All in the name of 'feel good' and 'romance'. I mean Jesus. We actually give clubs a significant advantage, in a billion dollar industry, cause some old farts think it's cute that a kid gets to choose to play for his dad's club!!

How about we start paying goals instead of points in Grand Finals to give popular players an elusive flag? Cause you know, romance.

How about we stop paying Free Kicks that result in unpopular results? Cause you know, it's feel good.

Lol what about the bs list/draft concessions you’ve gotten in the last year or 2.

That’s idiotic and completely unfathomable not father son.

Good to see you’re living in lala land like your chairman

Because free kicks are never awarded (not not applied) on the basis of a players status, club size/location, or narrative-approved outcomes ... :drunk:

giphy.gif

What do people think of Brisbane getting Levi Ashcroft after winning the flag?
He is universally regarded as the best player in the draft, so it seems unfair especially when Brisbane already receive enough leg ups as it is via the academy rort.

F/s is a lottery all teams can buy tickets in and Levi could have come into the Lions who had won the spoon and folks would equally have complained that Brisbane was getting picks 1 and 2 (irrespective of whether the spoon runner-up would have picked him anyway) so your first line is more of a query about how folks feel about the F/s system in general (which I believe might have a thread or three covering it).

He is universally regarded as the best player in the draft, so it seems unfair especially when Brisbane already receive enough leg ups as it is via the academy rort.

Considering how many others are in the running for the top spot, including some articles that don't even mentioned Levi as an option in the top six players in the draft etc pretty sure that 'universally regarded' is a tad hyperbollic perhaps your case would have been better presented with 'widely regarded as one of the top picks in the national draft' which would have the value of being a truthful statement...

Not sure how Brisbane using a above-board, League endorsed, pathway to grow the game designed to mitigate structural disadvantages counts as a 'rort' ... although I get the concept it is used on our board as well (albeit with a different tenor)

Btw is there any particualr reason why a Geelong surporter would be / should be touchy about the concept of a club having a 'rort' at this time ...

Basically Brisbane won the lottery, twice, getting both Ashcrofts. Long term variance would hopefully even it out for all clubs, but no doubt it'll be a massive leg up by pure blind luck for the next 10-15 years with both Ashcroft brothers.

Basically Brisbane won the lottery, twice, getting both Ashcrofts. Long term variance would hopefully even it out for all clubs, but no doubt it'll be a massive leg up by pure blind luck for the next 10-15 years with both Ashcroft brothers.
Ironic this post is brought up. Brisbane won the lottery twice getting both Ashcroft boys.

Guess what? Back in 1989 Marcus Ashcroft started his career at Brisbane.

No one complained when Brisbane were garbage in the late 1980s to early 1990s.

Glad Brisbane won a flag in 2024. That group deserves at least one flag with all their hard work.

Now for Richmond. No one complained about Richmond being garbage from 1983 to 2012.

I don't think Richmond fans will complain the amount of finals they played and amount of finals won between 2013 to 2022.

The minor thing you could look back at Richmond is they should of won one more final in that 2013 to 2015 era.

Its a very unique feature that is not part of any other professional sporting league in the world. I love the fact that family names can stay with one club.
It's not like Ashcroft came from a Victorian side In the tac up or VFL like a Dustin Martin or Luke Hodge or Sam Walsh.

Ashcroft is a local Queenslander.

Looking at the eagles 1992 and 1994 eagles flag sides, I am sure there were a few of those players had sons and played for the eagles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ironic this post is brought up. Brisbane won the lottery twice getting both Ashcroft boys.

Guess what? Back in 1989 Marcus Ashcroft started his career at Brisbane.

No one complained when Brisbane were garbage in the late 1980s to early 1990s.

Glad Brisbane won a flag in 2024. That group deserves at least one flag with all their hard work.

Now for Richmond. No one complained about Richmond being garbage from 1983 to 2012.

I don't think Richmond fans will complain the amount of finals they played and amount of finals won between 2013 to 2022.

The minor thing you could look back at Richmond is they should of won one more final in that 2013 to 2015 era.
That's a very odd tangent bringing up Richmond's unsuccessful period 30 years ago in a thread about a 2024 F/S pick for Brisbane

That's a very odd tangent bringing up Richmond's unsuccessful period 30 years ago in a thread about a 2024 F/S pick for Brisbane
Yeah well I had to post that.

My point is why are people moaning and complaining about a Queenslander being pick 1?

Oh.... Is it because Brisbane snagged a flag?

If Brisbane finished bottom going 0-23 then this wouldn't be brought up.

Not as good a deal as Bailey Smith for pick 17. We still feel ripped off having to find all these points.

Yeah well I had to post that.

My point is why are people moaning and complaining about a Queenslander being pick 1?

Oh.... Is it because Brisbane snagged a flag?

If Brisbane finished bottom going 0-23 then this wouldn't be brought up.
Even if we had wooden spoon someone will complain Brisbane is drafting top talent player in 1 and matching Ashcroft at 2 - getting two bites.

Club holding pick 2 is only getting the 3rd player in draft ! Inequality!! We need justice !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What if Brisbane win the premiership AND get the number one draft pick this year?

Back