What is going on at GWS? An 'aggressive reset' or something more smelly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell needs to get Dean Wallis up to GWS to help with an excel spreadsheet so they can track their TPP.

Why would you sign up players on the basis that you are going to have to trade out 6 players half way through their contracts?

I want someone to call out all the former list managers and scouting experts and presidents that claimed that the giants and suns would win 5-6 premierships over a 10 year period..

People don’t take into account the extra money these teams would have to pay to keep any player.. a drafted that signs an extension in QLD/NSW would be paid substantially more than at Victorian clubs..

Hawks Carlton Collingwood Richmond Essendon have realised what would happen and got into agents ears early and offered contracts and marketing opportunities as well as playing in front of big crowds. Knew they could lure them home early and if not these clubs would have to overpay massively to keep anyone..

8 years down the track and 0 premierships and I predict that GWS will join GC soon as a club that either overpays massively for anyone to stay or becomes feeder clubs to the rest of the competition..

In 5 years time both Giants and Suns will be completely screwed unless the AFL actually addresses these problems at the next collective bargaining agreement.. But likely the AFL doesn’t really care about that as equalisation isn’t as high on their lists as making money from TV rights.

Found these exclusive photos of GWS

burnt-chicken-on-white-picture-id587811824

hqdefault.jpg

Campbell needs to get Dean Wallis up to GWS to help with an excel spreadsheet so they can track their TPP.

Why would you sign up players on the basis that you are going to have to trade out 6 players half way through their contracts?
This puzzles me too. All that for a what, 2 year window?

In fairness, who could factor in the fix in 2016?

faa3b320bca884da7c710739ef241fc1e2992d37

That pic is from 2017.

Two years in a row the AFL’s Frankenstein monster failed at preliminary final level, when they were designed to be successful, and then lost out in finals again.

Now there’s been no success and it is impossible for the club to keep all the stars that were meant to have won flags by now and likely playing for less to keep a successful group together like has happened in the past with hawthorn and Geelong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got rid of 2 injury riddled players who will likely never be reliable players going forward.
We got rid of a guy who looks like he has peaked and on a large contract. All year opposition supporters were "I thought Shiel was good?"
We got rid of a tall guy with attitude problems who can't play ruck or forward well and will slot into underachieving Freo like a seal to water.

Yeah the sky is falling.

how much longer can Matthews keep his job? this afl stooge has been a comedy act.

His comments blaming the Giants not having a bigger salary cap than everyone else were comical

They’ve got a good coach and great player development m.

Expect Hopper Taranto Cumming Perryman Bonar to spot straight into that side as replacements without any worries.

Finlayson gets another crack as does Patton. They’ll be around the eight barring a major injury to Kelly

Pretty sad to see a few servants of the club leave but with the Salary cap the club is forced to make choices over which players to keep but also try and spread the age demographic and allow opportunities for the younger players to have time in the seniors. I will admit I think letting Scully go was not the best move for the club but maybe with the injury and Scully himself looking for a move he could have left at the end of his contract but it is what it is, I will also say I did not believe the rumours when they first appeared.
I think the key for the club was getting the 3 first round picks and then strengthening the picks for next year so I think the club made the best of a bad situation and I can see whoever comes in with those picks having some opportunities in 2019 so they should be excited to come to the club
Overall I would call it a reset which I thought would come in 2019 with the captaincy being changed and the older players retiring so it is just coming a year earlier but I would say the club is well placed for many years to come

I will admit I think letting Scully go was not the best move for the club but maybe with the injury and Scully himself looking for a move he could have left at the end of his contract but it is what it is, I will also say I did not believe the rumours when they first appeared.
Letting Scully go helped you in the Shiel negotiations though. With him out you had the cap space to take Shiel into 2019 meaning you had the upper hand in negotiations with Essendon. GWS got the two first round picks they wanted in the end and have a very strong draft hand this year with 9,11 and 19.

If these types of 'exodus'' keep continuing, it will make it hard for GWS to attract fans and young kids. A lot of the kids get attached to the players and some even follow the players more.

That should be the end of it though and at least they still have Toby Greene. He is their best

So much garbage in this thread.

GWS v Essendon GF in 2019.

GWS were always going to have a first generation purge like this at some point given the cap and age-predominance. Shiel and Scully are great, but not hands-off required personnel. Lobb was bound to go eventually. Giants will have forecast for a so-called 'exodus'.

I think if this rest is to be successful then the 3 1st round draft picks from this year will be important in that one of them can come in and play an important role throughout the season like Stephenson/Higgins/Richards I am not predicting they will have that sort of impact but if one of them can play 15-20 games at a high level combined with key players staying on the park (Davis/Haynes, Coniglio/Kelly, Cameron/Greene) anything can happen in finals

Remove this Banner Ad

What is going on at GWS? An 'aggressive reset' or something more smelly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back