What punishment will the AFL impose

Remove this Banner Ad

Bottom line is the AFL can't be see as weak in this situation, they sat the Eagles down earlier in the year and they were put on their last warning if any player steps out of line again they wiil be punished.

The Eagles took the gamble to bring back Cousins and it has backfired. The AFL also needs to be held accountable for allowing him to comeback that earlier, but lets be serious we all know he has had the issue for a few years a 1month retreat in a drug rehab clinicwas never enough time to get himself right.

Hey Royal sampler, just listening to sports central in Perth and Caroline Wilson said that she has been led to believ that there will be nopenalties in terms of draft picks and that the eagles chairman Dalton Gooding has already spoken to Mike Fitzpatrick and been told the same thing. There you have it, straight from the horses mouth.

They also talked about the Didak situation and said that the gunmans trial has been continually delayed due to problems with him selecting a lawyer but that the collingwood football club was bracing itself for the trial when it came because a lot more information about Didak and other collingwood players links with organised crime was expected to be revealed at the trial. Something for you to look forward to then. You might need to jump off yur high horse before that happens. I cant wait. Eddie and Gary Pert have got the broom out already ad they are going to sweep this one under the carpet too.

Bottom line is the AFL can't be see as weak in this situation, they sat the Eagles down earlier in the year and they were put on their last warning if any player steps out of line again they wiil be punished.

The Eagles took the gamble to bring back Cousins and it has backfired. The AFL also needs to be held accountable for allowing him to comeback that earlier, but lets be serious we all know he has had the issue for a few years a 1month retreat in a drug rehab clinicwas never enough time to get himself right.
The AFL re-registered Cousins so they are not guilt free either. How can they impose massive penalties on WC when they allowed him to return?? And before he amde a public announcemenT? Their handling of Ben was as bad as anyones, but good luck getting AD to admit that

I can't believe some supporters don't think the Eagles as a club have got anything to answer for?

I agree the club can't control what a player does 24-7, but they have a duty of care to ensure that any players who don't tow the line are punished. What systems/punishments has the club put in place before sacking to deal with the issues of cousins? kerr? fletcher? and even minor issues like Braun and Selwood.

Its clear the players in our club think they are bigger than the laws/code of conduct of the game. There is no way the AFL will allow this to go unpunished.

Breaking rule 1.6 of the AFL is breaking he law of the land is it? Are AFL statutes the law of australia now are they? It is the court if oublic opinion we are talking about.
No, you've got it around the wrong way. Breaking the law of the land goes much of the way to breaking rule 1.6. Breaking the law of the land requires a burden of proof, but the court of public opinion, as you've highlighted brilliantly with your libelous allegations about Didak, does not.

Cousins is not guilty of anything yet. He has only been charged and not convicted abd intends to contest the charges.
Then why did the Eagles sack him? He failed to provide a blood sample, for which he's been charged, do you think the police are lying?

Tarrant and Johnson were not just drunk they were brawling with other people outside the club.
Not relevant to this case, pure and simple. The AFL Commission has never had to call an extraordinary meeting with the Collingwood Football club to discuss the conduct of our players, nor to give us a warning over future breaches.

If you read foxsports.com.au Demetriou says everything but confirm that the eagles will not face any penalty. He praises the club and talks about how closely they have worked with the AFL, how many initiatives they have put in place at the club this year and also says that it is not the eagles fault cousins slipped through the cracks. Sometimes it doesnt matter what you do. And the opinion of the reporter who spoke to him is also that there is unlikely to be any penalty. All code for THERE WILL BE NO PENALTY.
It's not Demetriou's decision. That's code for IT'S NOT DEMETRIOU'S DECISION.

So you are saying that we will hear no more about this untill the commission meeting? We wont hear that the subject is going to be debated and that the eagles are going there to present their defence? There will be silence for a month and then a penalty announced out of the blue? If anything is going to happen we will start hearing things shortly.
Unless an extraordinary meeting is called, it will be discussed at the next scheduled meeting of the AFL Commission. Then there would be discourse with the Eagles. No "penalty announced out of the blue", no.

BTW your club is so gutless it didnt even suspend Didak, Tarrant or Johnson for a single game after these incidents. Talok about turning a blind eye and having a culture problem.
Tarrant was traded. Johnson had his day in court, but the club didn't suspend him because he was going to the aid of a teammate, which is actually what you want to instill in your players.

Didak was drunk in the mid-season break, which isn't against team rules. He wasn't charged with any crimes as a result of his stupid behaviour. What exactly would you be suspending him for? Think before you commit libel again, in Australia you actually need proof before accusing people of committing crimes in public.

I would be surprised if the AFL imposed any sactions for this up and coming draft. Why?

Because Cousins has not been found guilty of anything and the hearing has been posponed 90 days, I believe this is after this years draft.

The AFL would be taking a big risk smashing West Coast and then Cousins is found not guilty. But then again arrogant Vlad does like throwing his weight around.

And before all the trolls start talking about Cuz and the Eagles damaging the AFL brand the friking media hyping this up are the major culprits, they are throwing fuel on a smoldeing fire and turning this into a fire storm.

Hey Royal sampler, just listening to sports central in Perth and Caroline Wilson said that she has been led to believ that there will be nopenalties in terms of draft picks and that the eagles chairman Dalton Gooding has already spoken to Mike Fitzpatrick and been told the same thing. There you have it, straight from the horses mouth.
If that's true then I'm surprised, but actually think it's a good result. I wouldn't exactly be hanging my hat on what Caroline Wilson says though.

They also talked about the Didak situation and said that the gunmans trial has been continually delayed due to problems with him selecting a lawyer but that the collingwood football club was bracing itself for the trial when it came because a lot more information about Didak and other collingwood players links with organised crime was expected to be revealed at the trial. Something for you to look forward to then. You might need to jump off yur high horse before that happens. I cant wait. Eddie and Gary Pert have got the broom out already ad they are going to sweep this one under the carpet too.
I fail to see how I'm on any high horse. Didak so far has assisted police with investigations and has been told he will not be charged with any crime. If that situation changes I expect we'll take our medicine because that's the nature of the competition.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're complaining about. Nisbett says repeatedly in the article I linked to that he understands that the AFL Commission has the right to sanction them, he just hopes it isn't warranted. I agree with him. You're the only one that can't accept that the Eagles have left themselves open to penalties in this situation.

I can't believe some supporters don't think the Eagles as a club have got anything to answer for?

I agree the club can't control what a player does 24-7, but they have a duty of care to ensure that any players who don't tow the line are punished. What systems/punishments has the club put in place before sacking to deal with the issues of cousins? kerr? fletcher? and even minor issues like Braun and Selwood.

Its clear the players in our club think they are bigger than the laws/code of conduct of the game. There is no way the AFL will allow this to go unpunished.

What more could the Eagles administration have done? They voluntarily took him off the team for six months.

As far as I can tell they have ensured that he recieved professional counselling, even with the benefit of hindsight I can't see how else they could of helped him more.

From my perpective if the Eagles had have sacked Cuz immediately like Carlton did with Angwin then that would have made Ben's chances of recovery even less likely.

West coast has already been "punished" for not dealing with Cousins indiscretions earlier- they have ended up losing a club stalwart and champion player at 29 yrs of age.

What purpose does it serve the AFL to punish the Eagles now, what lessons are left to be learned?

What more could the Eagles administration have done? They voluntarily took him off the team for six months.

As far as I can tell they have ensured that he recieved professional counselling, even with the benefit of hindsight I can't see how else they could of helped him more.

From my perpective if the Eagles had have sacked Cuz immediately like Carlton did with Angwin then that would have made Ben's chances of recovery even less likely.

West coast has already been "punished" for not dealing with Cousins indiscretions earlier- they have ended up losing a club stalwart and champion player at 29 yrs of age.

What purpose does it serve the AFL to punish the Eagles now, what lessons are left to be learned?
They haven't merely been punished for not dealing with Cousins' indiscretions earlier, they've also been punished for Cousins' indiscretions themselves. Those indiscretions have continued, it would seem.

Hopefully, they leave it at de-registering Cousins, but it would surprise me frankly.

Didak was in the car with him when he was discharging firearms at the police and taking them on in a high speed car chase. He failed to report any of this to police or his club afterwards and tried to cover it up. If he had told police a young man would still have his life today. And collingwood didnt even rake it seriously enough to suspend him for a single game. Cousins actions never hurt anyone else.

And that is just all that has come out so far. As i told you both Caro Wilson and Brad hardie are saying there is even more damaging information about Didak and other collingwood players that hasnt made its way ino the public domain yet and like them or loath as media figures whne they say something they are not often wrong. It aint over yet, buddy.

Bringing the game into disrepute is all about public opinion. You still dont get it.

The eagle sacked Cousins for having a drug without a prescription for it even though it was a minor drug. All it means if you refuse a blood test is that you have in effect pleaded guilty to drink driving. You have no right of defence if you refuse a blood test. that is just a traffic violation.

Im sure Andrew Demetriou has the phone numbers of people in the commission in his rolodex and i am pretty sure he has probably talked to them in the last few days and whether it is his decision or not i think he would know what the lie of the land is and whether penalties are liekly and being entertained or not. I doubt he would make those statements and rsik embarrassment if he wasnt sure of his ground.

He pretty much said they are not and Dalton Gooding who was eagles chairman untill this month is now on the commission himself has spoken to Fitzpatrick has told people privately that he has been led to believe there will be no penalties. But im sure all these people have it all wrong and you are right. Everybody inside the game with any credibility or connections is saying there will be no penalties but you know best.

That was not the first incident with Tarrant and Johnson either and they were asaulting and brawling with people at a taxi stand. Im sure they were just innocent bystanders. A pair of charming young men like themslves.

Sweep, sweep, sweep. Get that broom ready. The bomb is going to hit you shortly. I am so looking forward to it.

CUZ is a superstar!

As for punishing the eagles, your speakin SH1T they deserve no punishment as it wasnt there fault that this occured. How is $1m and 3rd pick in draft equitable for a club whose just lost some of the best midfielders in a long time!

Its not just the Cousins issue, its the fact that players continually re-offend at the club and they don't put in place any effective sanctions.

I really believe if we were on the bottom of the ladder, that Cousins when he came back from Malibu would never of played this year. Yet, the fact that we had a chance to win the premiership they rushed him back into the side. Last year we win the premiership and the issues is brushed under the carpet.

They haven't merely been punished for not dealing with Cousins' indiscretions earlier, they've also been punished for Cousins' indiscretions themselves. Those indiscretions have continued, it would seem.

Hopefully, they leave it at de-registering Cousins, but it would surprise me frankly.

So you are merely arguing that the AFL have the mandate to punish the Eagles for Cousins indiscretions if they choose to.

On that point I'd agree.

Although I don't see how it would be beneficial to the competition.

Didak and other collingwood players may not have committed any crimes that the cops intend to charge them with but it is well possible that they have far more extensive links with gangland than has been revealed thus far. I would guess Didaks co-operating as a means of avoiding getting charged by the cops.

The eagles are just playing dumb and not wanting to embarass the commision b y announcing themselve that there will be no penalties. The commission can announce it themselves and explain itwhen they are ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didak was in the car with him when he was discharging firearms at the police and taking them on in a high speed car chase. He failed to report any of this to police or his club afterwards and tried to cover it up.
Prove that he tried to cover it up.

If you can prove he covered it up, it may make him an accessory after the fact for the shooting spree. But of course you can't, because if you could the police could, and he'd have been charged.

If he had told police a young man would still have his life today.
Prove it.

And collingwood didnt even rake it seriously enough to suspend him for a single game.
Collingwood are smarter than you. They realise that a player must have broken a team rule, breached his contract, or broken the law to warrant a suspension.

Bringing the game into disrepute is all about public opinion. You still dont get it.
Allegations need to be proven, public opinion doesn't. Just because you think Didak's a shit bloke, doesn't mean there is any legal recourse to suspend the guy. You still don't get it.

Its not just the Cousins issue, its the fact that players continually re-offend at the club and they don't put in place any effective sanctions.

If that is the case then the Eagles may have ineffective people managers, the AFL should do all they can to help the Eagles improve thier mentoring "culture". I don't see how removing draft picks is either warranted or beneficial.

I really believe if we were on the bottom of the ladder, that Cousins when he came back from Malibu would never of played this year. Yet, the fact that we had a chance to win the premiership they rushed him back into the side. Last year we win the premiership and the issues is brushed under the carpet.

You would know the Eagles motives far better than I would, but I cannot believe that they would have played Cousins if they didn't believe it was in his and the clubs best interest. The AFL approved Cousin's return and oversaw the Eagles treatment of him, it is a bit late now for them to say that the Eagles didn't do the right thing.

If that is the case then the Eagles may have ineffective people managers, the AFL should do all they can to help the Eagles improve thier mentoring "culture". I don't see how removing draft picks is either warranted or beneficial.

Its obvious the club needs assistance in mentoring, my understanding was that Daniel Chick was one of those mentors! Unfortunately, if the AFL didn't sanction the Eagles I think they would continue to operate the way they have.

You would know the Eagles motives far better than I would, but I cannot believe that they would have played Cousins if they didn't believe it was in his and the clubs best interest. The AFL approved Cousin's return and oversaw the Eagles treatment of him, it is a bit late now for them to say that the Eagles didn't do the right thing.

In his best interests? Playing only 2 months after being in rehab! Not one medical expert I have heard from has said that playing so quickly again was in his best interests. Bottom line was it was in the clubs best interest for him to be back on the field.

So you are merely arguing that the AFL have the mandate to punish the Eagles for Cousins indiscretions if they choose to.

On that point I'd agree.

Although I don't see how it would be beneficial to the competition.
Pretty much, and no, I agree. It should be laid to rest with Cousins being de-registered if the charges stick. It'll be a moot point anyway as no-one would pick him up now IMHO.

Didak and other collingwood players may not have committed any crimes that the cops intend to charge them with but it is well possible that they have far more extensive links with gangland than has been revealed thus far. I would guess Didaks co-operating as a means of avoiding getting charged by the cops.
On that point we agree, it is certainly possible that more will come out, and if so it will also possibly be quite unsavoury. :(

In his best interests? Playing only 2 months after being in rehab! Not one medical expert I have heard from has said that playing so quickly again was in his best interests. Bottom line was it was in the clubs best interest for him to be back on the field.

Before Cousins could play again they had to get clearance from the AFL DOCTORS who flew over to Perth to assess Cousins. The AFL DOCTORS gave him the clearance to play. One of the reasons for him playing this year was that the medical advice given was that playing football would assist in his recovery from the addiction.

Bottom line AFL DOCTORS qualify as medical experts.

I have no doubt that it will be discussed. But it looks like penalties in the form of dragt picks are unlikely. I think the penalty is more likely to be something along the lines of west coast have to give th commission formal updates every month for the next 2 years about the progress of their anti-drugs measures etc etc. Something pathetic like that to try and go some way to appeasing the Patrick Smiths of the world and take away some of their ammunition.

My interpretation of what the commission was saying with the sanction threat earlier this year is not that we will be penalised if there is ever, ever again a player linked to or testing positive to drugs at our club. that would be grossly unfair. I think waht they were saying is that if in their opinion the west coast admin looked, ikn the eyes of the commission, to be being negligent, turining a blind eye or otherwise not doing everything in it's power to sort the problem out there would be penalties. Ben Cousins falling off the wagon does make the eagles admin guilty if this. And the AFL was right there with us the whole way and agreed with and signed off on everything we did.

As for Didak, collingwood have admitted that he did not tell anyone in the cops or the club about what hapenned, even after the shooting. He got busted only after they caught the gunman and he was interrogated about what he had been doing in the 48 hours before the shooting and he told them about Didak. If Didak had reported this to the cops the night it hapenned it is very likely the gunman would have been in custody the next day and not in a position to shoot those people.

And Eddie McGuire didn't even suspend him for one game. I had wondered why collingwood didn't trade him and i guess that is why. nobody would have taken him while he has that hanging over his head.

As for Didak, collingwood have admitted that he did not tell anyone in the cops or the club about what hapenned, even after the shooting. He got busted only after they caught the gunman and he was interrogated about what he had been doing in the 48 hours before the shooting and he told them about Didak. If Didak had reported this to the cops the night it hapenned it is very likely the gunman would have been in custody the next day and not in a position to shoot those people.
Again, you don't know that. The police knew the gunman was in Melbourne, and it's not as if Didak crashed at his house, he was dropped off near the CBD. You have no idea whether Didak had any information that may have led to the expedited arrest of the gunman. The police were shot at and yet didn't manage to catch him on the night!

You're editorializing to suit yourself, and even what you've said isn't a cover-up, it's failing to report a crime. Very different scenarios.

Remove this Banner Ad

What punishment will the AFL impose

Remove this Banner Ad

Back