What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but watching back 360, I think we’ve found out what’s happened to Riley Garcia.

Bevo, when questioned about his thoughts on the umpiring, bought up how bad calls affect young players and Garcia was mentioned. I’d hazard a guess that’s why he’s been “dropped” to get him out of the heat of the AFL to regain some confidence.
Not sure I can get there with that line of thinking. Riley was dropped after picking up 23 (albeit not the most effective) disposals. Imagine the coach telling you we are dropping you not because of form but because you copped some grief from the mouth breathers because you ducked your head.

Not sure I can get there with that line of thinking. Riley was dropped after picking up 23 (albeit not the most effective) disposals. Imagine the coach telling you we are dropping you not because of form but because you copped some grief from the mouth breathers because you ducked your head.
That’s why i put “dropped” in inverted commas - i not sure he actually got dropped

bevo alluded to the fact that he’d been pinged for holding the ball 2 or 3 times in 1 game despite having no prior opportunity, said it had profoundly affected him

sounds like it did his head in that he was winning the ball, but getting an incorrect free paid against, which in turn has made him question the way he plays the game

my take anyway

Did Garcia not play in the Brisbane game? I felt the umpiring of that game became very one sided, not the reason we lost the game, but I thought the players started to second guess themselves a bit when they got the ball and were tackled immediately without prior opportunity.

Last edited:
bevo alluded to the fact that he’d been pinged for holding the ball 2 or 3 times in 1 game despite having no prior opportunity, said it had profoundly affected him

sounds like it did his head in that he was winning the ball, but getting an incorrect free paid against, which in turn has made him question the way he plays the game

my take anyway
This is why the knee jerk inexperienced imbeciles that run the football department of the AFL have a lot to answer for. Leigh Matthews was not one bit happy with this new ‘interpretation’ of the rules, as it goes against the spirit of Aussie Rules, that is to attack the ball, not the man.

I’ll say it again….i don’t think he was “dropped”

I think Bevo is alluding to the fact he has been adversely affected by some poor umpiring decisions and he has struggled. The club has gotten around him and the best course of action was to take him out of the senior team to help him work his way through it

Clearly the rumour he was touring Geelong’s facilities is true because they sent him there to see how win free kicks that aren’t there

I think Bevo is alluding to the fact he has been adversely affected by some poor umpiring decisions and he has struggled. The club has gotten around him and the best course of action was to take him out of the senior team to help him work his way through it

Clearly the rumour he was touring Geelong’s facilities is true because they sent him there to see how win free kicks that aren’t there
I understand what you are saying.

Bevo is looking pretty fit again too. I saw him at the 2022 B&F and he just looked tired and a bit unfit.

Here he looks like he’s ready to hunt down Barrett and flush his head in the Crown toilets all over again.
I think a case can be made that there were a lot of teething issues with all of the pre-season changes that occurred. And that had an effect on him personally and as a coach. Indeed there were games where he looked completely spent and out of ideas. Since then he's turned all of that around has the team humming at a reasonable efficiency and just looks far more relaxed and ready for whatever comes next.

If that happens to be taking the long handle to a media hack who went after a player who publicly backed him when he was down and the same hacks were baying for his head. Given he was already scheduled to appear on the program then it was a nice bit of serendipity that the two things aligned. And if we've learnt anything under Bevo tenure it's that he's at his combative best when the actions of one of his players is called into question by somebody without any authority on the matter .

You could just see that Bevo was waiting to give Robbo a whack and Gerrard clearly knew this before hand. That why he gave the first quest to Scott probably in the hope that Bevo's blood came down to a mere simmer. The tension in the studio must've been palpable in the lead up to the camera rolling.

giphy.gif

I think a case can be made that there were a lot of teething issues with all of the pre-season changes that occurred. And that had an effect on him personally and as a coach. Indeed there were games where he looked completely spent and out of ideas. Since then he's turned all of that around has the team humming at a reasonable efficiency and just looks far more relaxed and ready for whatever comes next.

If that happens to be taking the long handle to a media hack who went after a player who publicly backed him when he was down and the same hacks were baying for his head. Given he was already scheduled to appear on the program then it was a nice bit of serendipity that the two things aligned. And if we've learnt anything under Bevo tenure it's that he's at his combative best when the actions of one of his players is called into question by somebody without any authority on the matter .

You could just see that Bevo was waiting to give Robbo a whack and Gerrard clearly knew this before hand. That why he gave the first quest to Scott probably in the hope that Bevo's blood came down to a mere simmer. The tension in the studio must've been palpable in the lead up to the camera rolling.
Bevo even said he was going to dance the wicket on this one when Gerard asked him the question

my take anyway
I suspect that after those harsh calls, Riley got a bit panicky when taking possession, blazing away rather than taking a split second to find the best target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bevo also touched on why Garcia was dropped in his midweek presser after the Brisbane game.

A while ago, so forgive me on any little inaccuracies. Bevo gave a wry little smile and scoff when the germo loaded the question with 20 disposals and 2 goals why dropped?

I believe Bevo alluded to some failure on system and defensive measures.that video may provide some additional insight.

Sen Article

Garry Lyon and Tim Watson have celebrated Luke Beveridge's defence of young gun Cody Weightman.

It comes after Fox Footy's Mark Robinson suggested that Weightman might have played for free kicks at times during the weekend's win over North Melbourne. Beveridge, who consistently sticks up for his players amid media scrutiny, made it clear to Robinson on AFL 360 that Weightman was within his rights to earn certain free kicks last Saturday.
Lyon and Watson shared their thoughts regarding Beveridge’s response, backing the Bulldogs coach for the way he spoke about Weightman.

“He’s a coach that’s going in to bat for his players in a big way,” Lyon stated on SEN Breakfast.

“I watched the incidents, because I hadn't seen them at that stage, and I’m more in the Beveridge camp, I thought they (the free kicks) were there.”

Watson added: “They might have been marginal, but I think what players love and what he always demonstrates, 'Bevo', is he goes in to bat for his players.

“He’s unequivocal. The support that he gives his players always, publicly, is something I’m sure the players love and respect with him.”

Dwayne Russell was also in the Beveridge and Weightman camp.

“There might have been a case where Cody Weightman has acted for frees before in previous years,” Russell said on SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“But I think he deserved every free kick that he got on the weekend based on the vision that I saw.”

Weightman was crucial against the Ross, kicking three goals in the Bulldogs' 17-point win.

The Bulldogs will look to continue their good form in a highly anticipated clash against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Saturday.

Sen Article

Garry Lyon and Tim Watson have celebrated Luke Beveridge's defence of young gun Cody Weightman.

It comes after Fox Footy's Mark Robinson suggested that Weightman might have played for free kicks at times during the weekend's win over North Melbourne. Beveridge, who consistently sticks up for his players amid media scrutiny, made it clear to Robinson on AFL 360 that Weightman was within his rights to earn certain free kicks last Saturday.
Lyon and Watson shared their thoughts regarding Beveridge’s response, backing the Bulldogs coach for the way he spoke about Weightman.

“He’s a coach that’s going in to bat for his players in a big way,” Lyon stated on SEN Breakfast.

“I watched the incidents, because I hadn't seen them at that stage, and I’m more in the Beveridge camp, I thought they (the free kicks) were there.”

Watson added: “They might have been marginal, but I think what players love and what he always demonstrates, 'Bevo', is he goes in to bat for his players.

“He’s unequivocal. The support that he gives his players always, publicly, is something I’m sure the players love and respect with him.”

Dwayne Russell was also in the Beveridge and Weightman camp.

“There might have been a case where Cody Weightman has acted for frees before in previous years,” Russell said on SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“But I think he deserved every free kick that he got on the weekend based on the vision that I saw.”

Weightman was crucial against the Ross, kicking three goals in the Bulldogs' 17-point win.

The Bulldogs will look to continue their good form in a highly anticipated clash against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Saturday.
Amongst all of this I'm fairly surprised at the lack of media focus on Clarkson and his comments post game. Given a free ride, it seems.

my take anyway
This was my understanding of what Bevo said also. Obviously it affected his confidence, but whether that was during or after the game wasn't clear.

Wouldn't have bothered me if that one hadn't been paid. Worse offences - usually in the action - are missed in every game, probably every quarter. And this one had absolutely no bearing on Cody's ability to compete for the ball if it had come his way in the next few seconds. The main thing is that Weightman was not playing for a free one iota in that sequence. And that was Bevo's main point.
I can't believe how little is made of the fact that Weightman is only trying to shake the contact entirely for the purposes of actually getting free so he could do ordinary forward movement ie get space and track the direction of the ball. The free itself is soft in the sense that whether or not you're in this position or that position 5m away when the ball is 80m away too is of little consequence in whether or not a team will eventually score a goal, but Bevo's point is still that a player is entitled to move freely and play to the rules irrespective of the consequence.

Nobody takes any issue with a player winning a free kick if a defender does an "authority" type shove in the back when a player is tracking a ball out of bounds, even though the push achieves nothing (the ball would have gone out of bounds with or without the shove). I don't see how this is any different for Weightman

I can't believe how little is made of the fact that Weightman is only trying to shake the contact entirely for the purposes of actually getting free so he could do ordinary forward movement ie get space and track the direction of the ball. The free itself is soft in the sense that whether or not you're in this position or that position 5m away when the ball is 80m away too is of little consequence in whether or not a team will eventually score a goal, but Bevo's point is still that a player is entitled to move freely and play to the rules irrespective of the consequence.

Nobody takes any issue with a player winning a free kick if a defender does an "authority" type shove in the back when a player is tracking a ball out of bounds, even though the push achieves nothing (the ball would have gone out of bounds with or without the shove). I don't see how this is any different for Weightman
Can't remember Gawn being blamed in round 1 for an off the ball block being awarded in his favour.

I even saw one Northie call for Weightman to be fined for staging for the incident 😂

Did Garcia not play in the Brisbane game? I felt the umpiring of that game became very one sided, not the reason we lost the game, but I thought the players started to second guess themselves a bit when they got the ball and were tackled immediately without prior opportunity.
Gallagher holding the ball in that game was the worst I’ve seen this year, maybe ever. Jumps to receive the ball and is tackled instantly before he lands. Arms caught and no way to dispose of it, but is paid holding the ball. Never even had the ball while his feet were on the ground

Last edited:
Jon Ralph maintains his opinion that Cody Weightman plays for frees

Jon Ralph maintains his opinion that Cody Weightman plays for frees
Journalists aren't fit to have opinions. They're there to report the facts, like how Cody Weightman is the third most productive small forward in the game right now, and by the start of next year may be the most productive (is only a hair behind Charlie Cameron and I assume Luke Breust will retire).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back