What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

This Weightman business and the non-paid frees are perfect fodder for Bev to go into "us against the world" mode. He's got a story to spin. Look out. I'm loving Bev's new media profile. Keep it coming.

Her name keeps being connected with – and being passed over for – vacant positions of power, but Kylie Watson-Wheeler insists she’s not interested in the jobs in the first place.

Western Bulldogs president Kylie Watson-Wheeler and senior coach Luke Beveridge. Picture: Michael Klein
Western Bulldogs president Kylie Watson-Wheeler and senior coach Luke Beveridge. Picture: Michael Klein

Oh, the dangers of merely answering a phone call from a recruiter.

Doing so might just land even the most faithful corporate leader on the short-list for a job they never even wanted.

Well, that seems to be what’s happened to Kylie Watson-Wheeler, senior vice president and managing director of Disney Australia, who keeps finding herself in the running for CEO jobs outside of the Disney stable – and narrowly missing out on them anyway.

Watson-Wheeler was hardly delighted last year when she was named in contention for the role of chief executive at the AFL, a position vacated by Gillon McLachlan and a sport in which she has been passionately immersed as president of the Western Bulldogs since 2021.

It was in that capacity, in her role with the Bulldogs, that she gave a rare interview with sports radio network SEN talking of her love of Disney, where she’s worked for 20 years, but also of the inconvenience and her own displeasure at being outed as firmly in the race for another job.

Kylie Watson-Wheeler was at one point spoken of as a replacement for Gillon McLachlan as head of the AFL.
Kylie Watson-Wheeler was at one point spoken of as a replacement for Gillon McLachlan as head of the AFL.

Watson-Wheeler was backed for the AFL CEO position by the code’s chair, Richard Goyder, who tried and failed to convince a clear majority of AFL commissioners to support her candidacy.

Andrew Dillon, a long-serving AFL executive, was eventually named CEO instead.

“Look, it was a challenging time. To have your name in the press everywhere about something that’s contrary to your actual job certainly wasn’t something I expected … but I have a great relationship with (Walt Disney),” Watson-Wheeler said. And one should hope so.

Because somehow Watson-Wheeler’s name has once again found its way on to another shortlist of CEO candidates, this time for the role of chief executive at Victoria Racing Club, which last month appointed AFL executive Kylie Rogers to replace Steve Rosich as its boss.

Margin Call’s impeccable understanding of the matter is that Watson-Wheeler was in the final four names for the job, alongside Rogers, a Brisbane-based racing figure, and Peter Crinis, a former Crown Resorts executive and a pal of the VRC chair Neil Wilson.

Not that Crinis’s suction with Wilson helped him much in the end (and besides, Crinis is busy enough at the moment filing legal paperwork against that rumpled deal-maker-about-town Jon Adgemis.)

But let’s not be fooled. On Watson-Wheeler’s telling, being short-listed for a role, even down to the final four candidates, doesn’t necessarily mean that she actually wanted the VRC role. In fact, quite the opposite, apparently.

As she told us: “Given my unique skill set of sports, media and entertainment, I do find myself being put on shortlists and approached for roles from time to time. That’s the recruitment business. But I am not seeking any new role, as I love and immensely enjoy what I’m currently doing.”

Not that we doubt her. But, come on, of course she’d say that!

Her name keeps being connected with – and being passed over for – vacant positions of power, but Kylie Watson-Wheeler insists she’s not interested in the jobs in the first place.

Oh, the dangers of merely answering a phone call from a recruiter.

Doing so might just land even the most faithful corporate leader on the short-list for a job they never even wanted.

Well, that seems to be what’s happened to Kylie Watson-Wheeler, senior vice president and managing director of Disney Australia, who keeps finding herself in the running for CEO jobs outside of the Disney stable – and narrowly missing out on them anyway.

Watson-Wheeler was hardly delighted last year when she was named in contention for the role of chief executive at the AFL, a position vacated by Gillon McLachlan and a sport in which she has been passionately immersed as president of the Western Bulldogs since 2021.

It was in that capacity, in her role with the Bulldogs, that she gave a rare interview with sports radio network SEN talking of her love of Disney, where she’s worked for 20 years, but also of the inconvenience and her own displeasure at being outed as firmly in the race for another job.

Watson-Wheeler was backed for the AFL CEO position by the code’s chair, Richard Goyder, who tried and failed to convince a clear majority of AFL commissioners to support her candidacy.

Andrew Dillon, a long-serving AFL executive, was eventually named CEO instead.

“Look, it was a challenging time. To have your name in the press everywhere about something that’s contrary to your actual job certainly wasn’t something I expected … but I have a great relationship with (Walt Disney),” Watson-Wheeler said. And one should hope so.

Because somehow Watson-Wheeler’s name has once again found its way on to another shortlist of CEO candidates, this time for the role of chief executive at Victoria Racing Club, which last month appointed AFL executive Kylie Rogers to replace Steve Rosich as its boss.

Margin Call’s impeccable understanding of the matter is that Watson-Wheeler was in the final four names for the job, alongside Rogers, a Brisbane-based racing figure, and Peter Crinis, a former Crown Resorts executive and a pal of the VRC chair Neil Wilson.

Not that Crinis’s suction with Wilson helped him much in the end (and besides, Crinis is busy enough at the moment filing legal paperwork against that rumpled deal-maker-about-town Jon Adgemis.)

But let’s not be fooled. On Watson-Wheeler’s telling, being short-listed for a role, even down to the final four candidates, doesn’t necessarily mean that she actually wanted the VRC role. In fact, quite the opposite, apparently.

As she told us: “Given my unique skill set of sports, media and entertainment, I do find myself being put on shortlists and approached for roles from time to time. That’s the recruitment business. But I am not seeking any new role, as I love and immensely enjoy what I’m currently doing.”

Not that we doubt her. But, come on, of course she’d say that!
Yeah same, every job that I miss out on I didn't want anyway :thumbsupv1:

Love it. 100% behind Bevo both times. The club was piss weak the first time. Love the combative Bevo, loved it when it was Gordon or Smorgo. Loved it when it was Libba Senior. Be more Bulldog! Moz, Picko and M Boyd had it. Garcia has it. Doc has it. This club needs to fight to find its place in this league.

Love it. 100% behind Bevo both times. The club was piss weak the first time. Love the combative Bevo, loved it when it was Gordon or Smorgo. Loved it when it was Libba Senior. Be more Bulldog! Moz, Picko and M Boyd had it. Garcia has it. Doc has it. This club needs to fight to find its place in this league.
100%. It was no surprise seeing Fremantle beat sydney last week with Boyd sitting next to the coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gallagher holding the ball in that game was the worst I’ve seen this year, maybe ever. Jumps to receive the ball and is tackled instantly before he lands. Arms caught and no way to dispose of it, but is paid holding the ball. Never even had the ball while his feet were on the ground
I lost my shit at that call when I was at the ground. Not something I’m particularly proud of given I was with my two daughters and there were plenty of other women around when I swore my head off at the umpire. But yes that decision and the non decision against Daicos in the Collingwood game were probably the two worst for me. Garcia’s one was also too hot for mine and wasn’t a free against. But Essendon got screwed on the weekend with a few as well.

You
why are the AFL media so pathetic?

ChatGPT
It sounds like you might be frustrated with the coverage or style of reporting in the AFL (Australian Football League) media. Media coverage can vary widely in quality and tone across different outlets and journalists. Some common reasons people might find AFL media coverage frustrating include:
  1. Sensationalism: Some media outlets prioritize sensational or controversial stories over accurate reporting or insightful analysis.
  2. Bias: Certain journalists or outlets may have biases towards certain teams, players, or narratives, which can skew their reporting.
  3. Clickbait: Headlines and stories designed to attract clicks or views without necessarily providing substantial content.
  4. Lack of Depth: Sometimes media coverage can be superficial, focusing on surface-level issues rather than providing in-depth analysis or context.
  5. Negativity: There can be a tendency to focus excessively on negative aspects such as scandals, conflicts, or failures rather than celebrating achievements or positive developments.
  6. Pressure of 24/7 News Cycle: In the fast-paced world of media today, there's often pressure to report quickly, which can lead to errors or incomplete information.
However, it's important to note that not all AFL media are the same, and there are many journalists and outlets that strive for quality reporting, insightful commentary, and balanced coverage. If you're feeling frustrated with the current state of AFL media, you might consider seeking out alternative sources that align more closely with your preferences for coverage style and content.

Nothing artificial nor intelligent about any of that. Any one of us could have written that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back