What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

This Weightman business and the non-paid frees are perfect fodder for Bev to go into "us against the world" mode. He's got a story to spin. Look out. I'm loving Bev's new media profile. Keep it coming.

Her name keeps being connected with – and being passed over for – vacant positions of power, but Kylie Watson-Wheeler insists she’s not interested in the jobs in the first place.

Western Bulldogs president Kylie Watson-Wheeler and senior coach Luke Beveridge. Picture: Michael Klein
Western Bulldogs president Kylie Watson-Wheeler and senior coach Luke Beveridge. Picture: Michael Klein

Oh, the dangers of merely answering a phone call from a recruiter.

Doing so might just land even the most faithful corporate leader on the short-list for a job they never even wanted.

Well, that seems to be what’s happened to Kylie Watson-Wheeler, senior vice president and managing director of Disney Australia, who keeps finding herself in the running for CEO jobs outside of the Disney stable – and narrowly missing out on them anyway.

Watson-Wheeler was hardly delighted last year when she was named in contention for the role of chief executive at the AFL, a position vacated by Gillon McLachlan and a sport in which she has been passionately immersed as president of the Western Bulldogs since 2021.

It was in that capacity, in her role with the Bulldogs, that she gave a rare interview with sports radio network SEN talking of her love of Disney, where she’s worked for 20 years, but also of the inconvenience and her own displeasure at being outed as firmly in the race for another job.

Kylie Watson-Wheeler was at one point spoken of as a replacement for Gillon McLachlan as head of the AFL.
Kylie Watson-Wheeler was at one point spoken of as a replacement for Gillon McLachlan as head of the AFL.

Watson-Wheeler was backed for the AFL CEO position by the code’s chair, Richard Goyder, who tried and failed to convince a clear majority of AFL commissioners to support her candidacy.

Andrew Dillon, a long-serving AFL executive, was eventually named CEO instead.

“Look, it was a challenging time. To have your name in the press everywhere about something that’s contrary to your actual job certainly wasn’t something I expected … but I have a great relationship with (Walt Disney),” Watson-Wheeler said. And one should hope so.

Because somehow Watson-Wheeler’s name has once again found its way on to another shortlist of CEO candidates, this time for the role of chief executive at Victoria Racing Club, which last month appointed AFL executive Kylie Rogers to replace Steve Rosich as its boss.

Margin Call’s impeccable understanding of the matter is that Watson-Wheeler was in the final four names for the job, alongside Rogers, a Brisbane-based racing figure, and Peter Crinis, a former Crown Resorts executive and a pal of the VRC chair Neil Wilson.

Not that Crinis’s suction with Wilson helped him much in the end (and besides, Crinis is busy enough at the moment filing legal paperwork against that rumpled deal-maker-about-town Jon Adgemis.)

But let’s not be fooled. On Watson-Wheeler’s telling, being short-listed for a role, even down to the final four candidates, doesn’t necessarily mean that she actually wanted the VRC role. In fact, quite the opposite, apparently.

As she told us: “Given my unique skill set of sports, media and entertainment, I do find myself being put on shortlists and approached for roles from time to time. That’s the recruitment business. But I am not seeking any new role, as I love and immensely enjoy what I’m currently doing.”

Not that we doubt her. But, come on, of course she’d say that!

Her name keeps being connected with – and being passed over for – vacant positions of power, but Kylie Watson-Wheeler insists she’s not interested in the jobs in the first place.

Oh, the dangers of merely answering a phone call from a recruiter.

Doing so might just land even the most faithful corporate leader on the short-list for a job they never even wanted.

Well, that seems to be what’s happened to Kylie Watson-Wheeler, senior vice president and managing director of Disney Australia, who keeps finding herself in the running for CEO jobs outside of the Disney stable – and narrowly missing out on them anyway.

Watson-Wheeler was hardly delighted last year when she was named in contention for the role of chief executive at the AFL, a position vacated by Gillon McLachlan and a sport in which she has been passionately immersed as president of the Western Bulldogs since 2021.

It was in that capacity, in her role with the Bulldogs, that she gave a rare interview with sports radio network SEN talking of her love of Disney, where she’s worked for 20 years, but also of the inconvenience and her own displeasure at being outed as firmly in the race for another job.

Watson-Wheeler was backed for the AFL CEO position by the code’s chair, Richard Goyder, who tried and failed to convince a clear majority of AFL commissioners to support her candidacy.

Andrew Dillon, a long-serving AFL executive, was eventually named CEO instead.

“Look, it was a challenging time. To have your name in the press everywhere about something that’s contrary to your actual job certainly wasn’t something I expected … but I have a great relationship with (Walt Disney),” Watson-Wheeler said. And one should hope so.

Because somehow Watson-Wheeler’s name has once again found its way on to another shortlist of CEO candidates, this time for the role of chief executive at Victoria Racing Club, which last month appointed AFL executive Kylie Rogers to replace Steve Rosich as its boss.

Margin Call’s impeccable understanding of the matter is that Watson-Wheeler was in the final four names for the job, alongside Rogers, a Brisbane-based racing figure, and Peter Crinis, a former Crown Resorts executive and a pal of the VRC chair Neil Wilson.

Not that Crinis’s suction with Wilson helped him much in the end (and besides, Crinis is busy enough at the moment filing legal paperwork against that rumpled deal-maker-about-town Jon Adgemis.)

But let’s not be fooled. On Watson-Wheeler’s telling, being short-listed for a role, even down to the final four candidates, doesn’t necessarily mean that she actually wanted the VRC role. In fact, quite the opposite, apparently.

As she told us: “Given my unique skill set of sports, media and entertainment, I do find myself being put on shortlists and approached for roles from time to time. That’s the recruitment business. But I am not seeking any new role, as I love and immensely enjoy what I’m currently doing.”

Not that we doubt her. But, come on, of course she’d say that!
Yeah same, every job that I miss out on I didn't want anyway :thumbsupv1:

Love it. 100% behind Bevo both times. The club was piss weak the first time. Love the combative Bevo, loved it when it was Gordon or Smorgo. Loved it when it was Libba Senior. Be more Bulldog! Moz, Picko and M Boyd had it. Garcia has it. Doc has it. This club needs to fight to find its place in this league.

Love it. 100% behind Bevo both times. The club was piss weak the first time. Love the combative Bevo, loved it when it was Gordon or Smorgo. Loved it when it was Libba Senior. Be more Bulldog! Moz, Picko and M Boyd had it. Garcia has it. Doc has it. This club needs to fight to find its place in this league.
100%. It was no surprise seeing Fremantle beat sydney last week with Boyd sitting next to the coach

Gallagher holding the ball in that game was the worst I’ve seen this year, maybe ever. Jumps to receive the ball and is tackled instantly before he lands. Arms caught and no way to dispose of it, but is paid holding the ball. Never even had the ball while his feet were on the ground
I lost my shit at that call when I was at the ground. Not something I’m particularly proud of given I was with my two daughters and there were plenty of other women around when I swore my head off at the umpire. But yes that decision and the non decision against Daicos in the Collingwood game were probably the two worst for me. Garcia’s one was also too hot for mine and wasn’t a free against. But Essendon got screwed on the weekend with a few as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You
why are the AFL media so pathetic?

ChatGPT
It sounds like you might be frustrated with the coverage or style of reporting in the AFL (Australian Football League) media. Media coverage can vary widely in quality and tone across different outlets and journalists. Some common reasons people might find AFL media coverage frustrating include:
  1. Sensationalism: Some media outlets prioritize sensational or controversial stories over accurate reporting or insightful analysis.
  2. Bias: Certain journalists or outlets may have biases towards certain teams, players, or narratives, which can skew their reporting.
  3. Clickbait: Headlines and stories designed to attract clicks or views without necessarily providing substantial content.
  4. Lack of Depth: Sometimes media coverage can be superficial, focusing on surface-level issues rather than providing in-depth analysis or context.
  5. Negativity: There can be a tendency to focus excessively on negative aspects such as scandals, conflicts, or failures rather than celebrating achievements or positive developments.
  6. Pressure of 24/7 News Cycle: In the fast-paced world of media today, there's often pressure to report quickly, which can lead to errors or incomplete information.
However, it's important to note that not all AFL media are the same, and there are many journalists and outlets that strive for quality reporting, insightful commentary, and balanced coverage. If you're feeling frustrated with the current state of AFL media, you might consider seeking out alternative sources that align more closely with your preferences for coverage style and content.

Nothing artificial nor intelligent about any of that. Any one of us could have written that.

Here come the Western Bulldogs.

The mighty men from Footscray have won five of their last seven matches. This run has included impressive wins over the Magpies, Dockers and Giants, despite significant challenges with missing personnel. It could have been six wins, had they not suffered in-game injuries to Aaron Naughton, Ed Richards and Tony Scott in the narrow defeat to Sydney.

And now, with virtually their entire list available, there is an enormous and exciting opportunity ahead, that would have Bulldogs' fans salivating.

To simplify things, 13 wins guarantees finals. The Bulldogs are currently on eight wins and therefore need to claim victory in five of the last eight rounds.

Whilst every match is challenging, the Dogs will enter games against Adelaide and North Melbourne as heavy favorites. As serious contenders, they must win both. They also take on Geelong, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and GWS - all who have big question marks over their form and credentials. Win three of those and the finals are certain.

While the Dogs could drop their other two games against Sydney and Carlton, they are certainly capable of upsetting either of those, on their day.

So where has this renaissance come from?

The form of their 'Rolls Royce', Marcus Bontempelli has been instrumental to their purple patch. The Skipper has somehow elevated his status, and has no peers in his class division across the league.

But to single out The Bont, would be to discredit the dominance and importance of Adam Treloar, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae and Richards. That foursome have played a critical support role to the Captain, and must take credit for the supply to their forwards, which have the Bulldogs in the top three scoring teams in the competition.

Up forward, they have three of the most exciting talls going around. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has superstardom at his doorstep, Naughton's return has defenders quivering and Sam Darcy is emerging as a young master. At their heels, Cody Weightman and Rhylee West have shown their scoreboard craft and an ability to challenge opponents aerially also.

The 'Dogs have been screaming for greater stability in their backline, and Luke Beveridge may have masterminded another unlikely positional change that could pay major dividends. Following Bevo's much-lauded move to inject Richards into the engine room, he may have engineered another critical piece to the puzzle, after the performance of Rory Lobb in defence against the Kangaroos. Lobb combined with Liam Jones to clunk 18 marks and have 21 intercepts, in an ominous warning to opposition forwards. His athleticism, closing speed and physical frame, have caused the experts to re-think their assessment of the much-maligned big man.

To make things more appetising, Norm Smith Medalist Jason Johannisen will be available for selection this week. His run and carry will compliment the Dogs' slingshot style which will trouble most teams in September.

Speed has been a major focus since last year's review of the Football Department, conducted by Peter Jackson. The Bulldogs have opted for a more fleet-footed outfit, which has seen emergence of Lachie Bramble and Harvey Gallagher, while jets Bailey Dale, Laitham Vandermeer and Oscar Baker have been lethal with their gut-running and surging style.

In the VFL, Caleb Daniel and Riley Garcia were amongst the best two performers on the weekend, while James Harmes' return from a hamstring strain was also very strong. Suddenly the depth has returned and selection squeeze is on.

Bubbling quietly behind closed doors is the progress of Bulldog favorite-son, Bailey Smith. Sources indicate that Smith may return to playing in the first week of September, which would give his previously unlikely return, some hope. Allow your mind to imagine the sight of the mulletted stallion streaming down the wing in finals, if you dare.

Yes, the Dogs are coming, and all teams are hoping they won't have to face them in September.
Today's performance is an example of why you likely put a couple of posters offside with this opinion article Mat. Either caveat the piece by saying it's essentially fan fiction and opinion, or hold off until we've actually made finals to write it. Counting chickens before they hatch can leave you with egg on your face.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Western Bulldogs key forward Sam Darcy has lauded teammate Cody Weightman’s courage after an integral contribution from the livewire Dog in the victory over Carlton in round 18.

Weightman has drawn some media criticism in the past for his ability to draw free kicks, but his courage was on full display as he helped curtail star Blue Jacob Weitering’s on Saturday evening.

While Weightman booted just the one goal from 12 disposals, his role in nullifying Weitering – who took six intercept marks in the first half – proved decisive in the Bulldogs victory.
“Some of the treatment he gets is really unfair, he’s probably one of our most courageous players,” Darcy told foxfooty.com.au post-match.

“You saw it live, the way he goes about things and attacks the footy is unbelievable, we love him,” he said.

Darcy said Weightman was one of the most important players to their lineup and that he is absolutely adored by everyone within the four walls at Whitten Oval.
“Internally we know the role he does and how important he is. When the media has a crack at him, we saw ‘Bevo’ defend him in the media, we all get around him, he’s so loved at our club,” Darcy said.

“He’s a bit of a barometer, ‘Flea, he brings us so much energy and we all feed off that, having him in the side is so important.”
Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge added: “Weightman, who’s missed a little bit of footy, his defensive game really came to the fore this afternoon… he was grinding away in the end, but he played a really selfless role.”

Star forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has also been under the microscrope of late due to his inconsistent form, but Darcy and Beveridge were full of praise for Ugle-Hagan after his match-winning performance.

“I thought he was unbelievable, the way he persevered and kept at it, his ground ball efforts and individual brilliance, it was unreal to see him kick some goals today,” Darcy said.

“Jamarra came out of Adelaide like some of his teammates and he was searching for answers for himself and wanting to produce something better,” Beveridge added post-match.

Ugle-Hagan struggled to influence the game in the first term as Weitering took control, but his response thereafter was immense.

“Even in the first quarter, we needed to pay attention to what Jacob Weitering was doing. He was intercepting too much football, and he was largely off the back of Jamarra. So, we needed to make some adjustments and Jamarra needed to think about his game in a technical way around some halving and negating,” Beveridge said.

“As the game wore on, Cody (Weightman) also took up a bit of that responsibility and probably interfered with his game a little bit, but it helped us get the game on our terms and then Jamarra started to flourish.”
Beveridge revealed that Bulldogs forward coach Matt Spangher pulled Ugle-Hagan aside at the first change, but ultimately, lauded Ugle-Hagan’s ability to assert himself on the contest.

“Matt Spangher talked to him and a big part of what our coaches do is staying level and supporting the players emotionally during the game. But it’s up to the player in the end.”

Beveridge said the club were “pretty moved by that one” after they overcame plenty of adversity in the lead up to the clash.

Star midfielder Adam Treloar was a late out due to calf tightness, while Aaron Naughton and James O’Donnell both missed with concussion. Defenders Liam Jones and Jason Johannisen were also unavailable as they deal with injuries of their own.

“Obviously coming out of last week where you can throw up all sorts of adjectives to describe what it was and what it wasn’t. I think that went against the grain of what we’ve been doing, we’d created some momentum in our season,” Beveridge said.

“We came out of Adelaide scratching our heads a little bit, but the boys were tremendous. It was a big challenge this afternoon, talk about adversity and then losing Adam Treloar before the game, but the even spread of contribution.

“The boys kept their nerve at quarter time and recognised what they were doing well, stuck to their guns and persevered through... it’s a pretty outstanding result in the end.”
Bailey Dale was also damaging off half-back, racking up a game-high 31 disposals and 638 metres gained in a performance Beveridge labelled “one of the best high defensive first halves that you’d ever see a player play”.

“He was significantly responsible for helping us gain back momentum on the scoreboard. His defensive play was tremendously influential, and he used the footy well,” he continued.

Beveridge hoped his side could use the victory to continue to push towards a finals campaign in 2024.

“Hopefully we can do a little bit with it, but I sit here as the senior coach of the footy club, just tremendously proud of what the boys were able to do this afternoon. It was a great victory for the club,” he said.

“Regardless of who’s in the team, all our players are capable.

“When in the scheme of the season, everything hangs in the balance and you make your choices, you feel quite alone when you go through some adversity, but the boys really managed it well.”

The Bulldogs will look to continue their quest for a finals berth when they head down the highway to GMHBA Stadium to take on Geelong next weekend

What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back