Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

We need to take Reid. As simple as that.

As I posted on another thread , we have drafted Burgiel, Culley , Long , Maric to name a few over the last 18 months.

It’s not like he’s going to be the only Victorian young player on our list.

Take him and let him develop with these kids

I look at Reid as Judd or Dangerfield. An elite talent but only likely to stay around for a 6 year period before going back to Victoria. So the question becomes what can you achieve in about that 6 year period when you have them.

With Judd it was a lot easier. The coach was new but was a club legend that had the full support of everybody and Cousins, Kerr, Cox and Glass were on the list and even if there was some off field stuff the team worked hard and trained hard and were headed in the right direction.

The current situation is a mess. Questions about the coach, players that refuse to do a proper preseason, players who don't want to defend, players who quit during games. Demoralising for any young player, and the thing is that there is still of a lot of pain to come with no easy fixes it will take time.

So Reid could end up like Horne-Francis walk in see a shambles around him and want straight out, or be a Cerra and stay longer but the Freo list was such a mess his time there saw no success. Yes Freo got a good pick for him but that is a young kid you have to develop for 2-3 years when you have spent 4 years developing Cerra, it messes up the timeline for your rebuild.

After saying all that I would still take Reid. But I don't think people fully understand what a mess the list + club is in. Not the environment for young players who will have plenty of offers elsewhere.

I look at Reid as Judd or Dangerfield. An elite talent but only likely to stay around for a 6 year period before going back to Victoria. So the question becomes what can you achieve in about that 6 year period when you have them.

With Judd it was a lot easier. The coach was new but was a club legend that had the full support of everybody and Cousins, Kerr, Cox and Glass were on the list and even if there was some off field stuff the team worked hard and trained hard and were headed in the right direction.

The current situation is a mess. Questions about the coach, players that refuse to do a proper preseason, players who don't want to defend, players who quit during games. Demoralising for any young player, and the thing is that there is still of a lot of pain to come with no easy fixes it will take time.

So Reid could end up like Horne-Francis walk in see a shambles around him and want straight out, or be a Cerra and stay longer but the Freo list was such a mess his time there saw no success. Yes Freo got a good pick for him but that is a young kid you have to develop for 2-3 years when you have spent 4 years developing Cerra, it messes up the timeline for your rebuild.

After saying all that I would still take Reid. But I don't think people fully understand what a mess the list + club is in. Not the environment for young players who will have plenty of offers elsewhere.

Is this a Kane Cornes burner?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes you're correct, only you understand.

It's a well thought out post, until the bolded.

We're losing by an average margin well in excess of ten goals to sides in theory challenging us for the wooden spoon.
Yes, us mere mortals know the list is ****ed.

Reids a country vic kid isnt he?

Weve never had a problem keeping them its metro that are the flight risks

Keep pick 1 and take the best player.

Take a look at what Freo did with an amazing draft hand in 2018. Had pick 5 and 6 which eventually ended up being Connor Rozee and Max King - not to mention guys like Bailey Smith and Zak Butters also being available. However Freo sent one of those pics went to Melbourne for Jesse Hogan and the other got split to Port for a bunch of lower picks.

Freo’s first pic ended up blowing out to around 16 after F/S and academy selections and they took Sam Sturt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take a look at what Freo did with an amazing draft hand in 2018. Had pick 5 and 6 which eventually ended up being Connor Rozee and Max King - not to mention guys like Bailey Smith and Zak Butters also being available. However Freo sent one of those pics went to Melbourne for Jesse Hogan and the other got split to Port for a bunch of lower picks.

Freo’s first pic ended up blowing out to around 16 after F/S and academy selections and they took Sam Sturt.
Its a lot easier looking back ....

Another one to add to a long history of f#¥k ups.

If we got 3 players the ilk of Rozee, Max King, Butters or Bailey Smith, I'd take (trade pick 1) that every day of the week over pick 1 that year in Sam Walsh.
Any chance someone can get their hands on the back to the future 2023-2050 Sports Almanac AFL stars edition so they can pass onto our recruiters ;)

1687151154032.png

We're not allowed to talk Reid up, the brisbane bloke said so!
As far as I can tell there are a lot of heads in sand in respect to Reid and the clear defects in his game and briztoon has made some reasonable observations about him.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Honestly what a draft to trade out of the top 10. Out of the top thirteen, Chayce Jones is probably the “worst” and even he is currently one of Adelaide’s starting wingers. Everyone else is a gun, including two key forwards around their pick, which was their most pressing need at the time.

Duursma also selected the pick after Sturt.

Absolutely nailed that Peter. Feather in cap etc etc

You don't normally start hearing about draft picks, no1's, top 10's etc until closer to the end of the season.
I can not recall this much talk and hype about a player ever. He was being talked about before the season began.
"There's that Harley Reid name again" "There it is again" "Who TF is this kid"

Bryce Gibbs, Murphy, Patton, Boyd, had a lot of hype but that was more toward the end of the season.

The Judd, Hodge, Ball draft as well and that was more what order would they go in.

Nahh, you get No1 pick this year. YOU F-N DRAFT HARLEY REID. Simple.

I am quite open to offers but the clubs holding multiple first rounders as or end R14 are:

Norf - 2 and 17 (Port)
GWS - 8 and 10 (Tigers)
Melbourne - 6 (Freo) and 16
Dogs - 12 and 15 (Lions)

None of these picks are really going to make up a Godfather offer even if it involved a F1 (well maybe Norf but I cannot see them giving up 3 first rounders for HR).

The only real likelihood of a tempting deal is if Norf get a band 1 McKay compensation pick and hold 2 and 3. If both 2 and 3 were offered (there would likely be more moving parts with the deal) I would be listening.

Alternatively, the bidding club will need to trade a player to somewhere to make it tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back