What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not self-explanatory.
Cloke looks like an ape, not racist.
Gareth Bale looks like an ape, not racist.
Adam Goodes looks like an ape, somehow racist.

The thing is, the only way you determine that its racist is by the colour of the victims skin, which in itself is 'discrimination on the basis of race' which just so happens to be the definition of racism.

Im the first to stand up for the fact that people shouldnt be racist, but until the same rules are applied to all races, then you'll have racist people calling people racist.
Did you read the article in the link at all?

I don't know if you are trying to prolong the argument, or you are just simply not getting it somehow. Either way, I'm not stepping it out for you. Think about it a little bit.

Its just the old story.
Whoever can get offended about whatever.

So you put cloke and goodes next to each other, call them both the same name and one is racist?
All that shows is that the person thats getting offended is racist, otherwise they wouldnt see a difference.

How are you not getting this?

Did you read the article in the link at all?

I don't know if you are trying to prolong the argument, or you are just simply not getting it somehow. Either way, I'm not stepping it out for you. Think about it a little bit.

How are you not getting this?

I get it 100%, its just wrong.
All it does is encourage discrimination.

What would you say if I took offence to being called an ape? Im a caucasian man just FYI. Would that be racist?

There is not the same tradition/history of referring to white people as subhuman, e.g. apes and monkeys. That's what makes it racist.

Arent we trying to forget all of this crap? Isnt that the point?

I reckon it was Denzel Washington that said it best. "The best way to stop racism is to stop talking about it"

Put it this way, it used to be that black people had to sit in certain sections of the bus. If I asked someone not to sit next to me because they smelt, or they used bad language, yet they were black....does that somehow make me racist, as im referring to colour segregation? NO! It simply means I dont want to sit next to the smelly PERSON! (Black white or indifferent)

Trengrove is far from elite im sorry.
If he's elite you put him in the basket with players like Shoenmakers, Sam Fisher etc etc.

He's better than Schoenmakers. Sam Fisher is on the decline, though once was elite.

But I'd argue he's got elite-potential. Not too far behind Daniel Talia IMO.

Certainly my post is up for debate.

He's better than Schoenmakers. Sam Fisher is on the decline, though once was elite.

But I'd argue he's got elite-potential. Not too far behind Daniel Talia IMO.

Certainly my post is up for debate.

Thats why we're in this thread.

Id argue that Talia is far superior, but that might be biased.

I'd be very surprised to read that interstate clubs are not requesting home games v Collingwood.

They would be all 8 of them, but also all 9 Victorian clubs would be as well.

If Hawthorn and North asked to play us in Tasmania instead if the MCG or ES then that's another two trips out of Melbourne, every Victorian team have 5 interstate trips.

I reckon it was Denzel Washington that said it best. "The best way to stop racism is to stop talking about it"

Put it this way, it used to be that black people had to sit in certain sections of the bus. If I asked someone not to sit next to me because they smelt, or they used bad language, yet they were black....does that somehow make me racist, as im referring to colour segregation? NO! It simply means I dont want to sit next to the smelly PERSON! (Black white or indifferent)

Your second point is only valid if the original Goodes comment was not in fact meant in a racist way.

The first point is steering towards the territory that black people are the problem as they (a) should just forget about their own heritage or (b) not get offended by racist comments, and everything will be ok.

Your second point is only valid if the original Goodes comment was not in fact meant in a racist way.

The first point is steering towards the territory that black people are the problem as they (a) should just forget about their own heritage or (b) not get offended by racist comments, and everything will be ok.

See now you're not understanding. Its not "forgetting your heritage" to attempt to move on from a society that was bereft of any ideals or morals. You think Denzel Washington wants to forget about his racial heritage? NO! He just wants the racism to stop, and the funniest thing is most of the people that are calling others racist are the real racists, because theyre treating people of different race differently.

Whether the comments against goodes were racist or not, you change his skin colour to white and he still looks like an ape. Its not his race that makes that true, I dont think Shaun Burgoyne or Buddy Franklin look like apes, but Goodes does, Bale does and so does Cloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, it's not doing that at all actually, it's recognising that indigenous Australians are a minority in this sport, and its selecting the best of them to be rewarded with a great experience over in Ireland, the same way NBA fans like to create their "all-white team".

What I find truly shocking (and I can't believe some bigot with nothing better to do hasn't called them out) is the NRL allowing the go-ahead and continuation of this Indigenous All-Stars v the rest concept. If that's not stirring up racial tensions, I don't know what is.

And guess what would happen if the actual NBA LEAGUE decided to make an 'all-white' team.
Put it this way, whoevers idea it was wouldnt have a job anymore, and probably not a house because people would burn it down.

MINORITY OR NOT, RACISM IS RACISM.

The funniest part about your post is the last sentence. Earlier in the post you have no issue with an all indigenous AFL team, but then magically you have a problem with an all indigenous NRL team. The funniest part of it all is that the AFL one is racist, as its denied opportunities for caucasian players, while the other game is actually used to strengthen ties between the indigenous and non-indigenous communities and used to raise awareness of racism. (and all races are allowed to play)

Don't blame the black person for thinking you are racist, blame the many people who have not wanted to sit next to a black person simply because they are black.

Don't blame the black person for thinking you are racist, blame the many people who have not wanted to sit next to a black person simply because they are black.

I dont blame the black person, I blame society for being so over-sensitive about these kinds of issues and therefore passing the sensitivity on to the potential victims.

Society as a whole is one of the reasons people get so offended at what are often not intended as racist remarks. Its people that dont understand racism, and think we can only be racist towards minorities that are a big part of the problem.

I dont blame the black person, I blame society for being so over-sensitive about these kinds of issues and therefore passing the sensitivity on to the potential victims.

Society as a whole is one of the reasons people get so offended at what are often not intended as racist remarks. Its people that dont understand racism, and think we can only be racist towards minorities that are a big part of the problem.

Hate to be the one to break it to ya, but you don't understand racism.

And guess what would happen if the actual NBA LEAGUE decided to make an 'all-white' team.
Put it this way, whoevers idea it was wouldnt have a job anymore, and probably not a house because people would burn it down.

MINORITY OR NOT, RACISM IS RACISM.

The funniest part about your post is the last sentence. Earlier in the post you have no issue with an all indigenous AFL team, but then magically you have a problem with an all indigenous NRL team. The funniest part of it all is that the AFL one is racist, as its denied opportunities for caucasian players, while the other game is actually used to strengthen ties between the indigenous and non-indigenous communities and used to raise awareness of racism. (and all races are allowed to play)
I'll cop that, fair enough

But you obviously didn't understand my post well enough. I have no problem with an Aboriginal team, but the AFL sent them off to virtually represent their heritage as well as Australia in Ireland. My problem with the NRL's version of this is they play in-county. This is the schoolboy equivalent of the Wogs v Aussies soccer match at lunch. Unacceptable in my view. Mind you, it was started by Preston Campbell, an champion indigenous fullback. If it was started by a champion white fullback, shit would be lost.

I agree when you say racism is a one-way street that only minorities may walk down. And that's unacceptable.

See now you're not understanding. Its not "forgetting your heritage" to attempt to move on from a society that was bereft of any ideals or morals. You think Denzel Washington wants to forget about his racial heritage? NO! He just wants the racism to stop, and the funniest thing is most of the people that are calling others racist are the real racists, because theyre treating people of different race differently.

Whether the comments against goodes were racist or not, you change his skin colour to white and he still looks like an ape. Its not his race that makes that true, I dont think Shaun Burgoyne or Buddy Franklin look like apes, but Goodes does, Bale does and so does Cloke.

He just wants the racism to stop, and the funniest thing is most of the people that are calling others racist are the real racists, because theyre treating people of different race differently.

My last post on this matter as it looks like we will have to agree to disagree. There are a few nuances you are either ignoring or failing to grasp.

The Denzel Washington stuff makes it appear like you think that all black people think the same.

Then you went into a bit about how even if the Goodes comments were meant to be racist, the fact that there are other black and white people who "look" like apes, the comment wasn't actually racist... give me a spell.

Some of your other comments come off as "white people are the real victims of racism"-- if I want to read that sort of gear I'd check out the comments on Andrew Bolt's blog.

You also seem to think that any decision based of race/background is automatically discriminatory in a negative way and therefore racist.

Anyway, L* signing off from the Great Race Debate.

My last post on this matter as it looks like we will have to agree to disagree. There are a few nuances you are either ignoring or failing to grasp.

The Denzel Washington stuff makes it appear like you think that all black people think the same.

Then you went into a bit about how even if the Goodes comments were meant to be racist, the fact that there are other black and white people who "look" like apes, the comment wasn't actually racist... give me a spell.

Some of your other comments come off as "white people are the real victims of racism"-- if I want to read that sort of gear I'd check out the comments on Andrew Bolt's blog.

You also seem to think that any decision based of race/background is automatically discriminatory in a negative way and therefore racist.

Anyway, L* signing off from the Great Race Debate.

I think you're oversimplifying the post/argument.

In no way is the poster saying that white people are the real victims of racism. Comments like that don't help the debate IMO.

So you put cloke and goodes next to each other, call them both the same name and one is racist?
All that shows is that the person thats getting offended is racist, otherwise they wouldnt see a difference.

So if you called them both a "n-word" it wouldn't be racist right, because one of them is white?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back