What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Mate, cannot say I have but that kind of makes my point, the songs are garbage & banning them is the only way forward imo. I've never liked songs done by sports teams, just tend to be tacky.
So because GWS and Fremantles songs suck, we should abandon a huge and well loved tradition and, honestly, pretty important part of our game?

That's not a knee jerk over reaction at all! :confused::rolleyes:

Facial shape, body shape and beard just to name 3.

They call Cloke an ape all the time and nobody bats an eyelid.
And straight guys call each other "f****t" all the time, doesn't mean I don't get offended when you say it to me.

How the hell can't you see how calling a black person that word, and the implications it makes, is offensive?

Only the gullible or very stupid would believe that. Collingwoods PR department went into overdrive to make her look like the victim instead of the perpetrator of the abuse, poor little tween girl with family issues who had a big bad footballer pick on her. It was disgraceful!
A slur of any type is not defined by how the person using the word views it, but how the target does. Words that bother some people are nothing to others.

Agreed. I knew before I was 8 years old that you don't call a black person an ape. People in this country need to stop making excuses for racism. It's disgusting that there are people out there bending over backwards to make excuses for racist Australians, and saying moronic, f***ing stupid things like
Because he has ape like features which are more prominent on him than the rest of the players that were on the field that day.
F***ing idiot!

People that say insulting, racist shit deserve to be called out. Regardless of whether they are 13 or 30. You don't stop racism by turning a blind eye to it and letting it continue just because the perp is younger than you. And I really don't buy that she didn't know that calling him an ape was insulting. That's bull. Anyone with half a brain knows that it is and has been a derogatory term for people of colour for over a century. She made the insult because she knew it was insulting and wanted to get under an opposition player's skin. Why else would she say it? It reeks of the same bulls**t excuses we heard when Indian fans made monkey chants at Andrew Symonds all those years ago. Society needs to stop allowing people to turn the racist instigators into the victims.

Don't act naive, you know full well he has more of an ape like look about him than most other footballers. Gareth Bale is another one that does. Has nothing to do with skin colour.
I think it's quite surprising that you assume I said he looks like an ape because he is black. Says a lot about yourself...

He is extremely hairy in his upper body more so than a lot of players, particularly his shoulders.

He has a fair bit of an underbite, another prominent feature of apes.

His ears stick out quite a bit similar to an apes ears.

None of this has anything to do with his skin colour. Gareth Bale also looks like an ape because of his underbite and ears.

Don't try and turn this around. You made a disgusting, racist comment. You're such a f**kwit.

Why is it racist to say he looks like a monkey?

Gareth Bale looks like the biggest one and he is Welsh/White as can be. Somehow that isn't racist

Do you call any female that wears a short dress a hooker? They might 'look' like a hooker to you but don't you think it would be a tad offensive?

I remember in primary school I used to be called an ape. I was quite a lot hairier in my arms and legs and hands than other kids. I also started to grow facial hair before most other kids. I am a Caucasian male, I was just big and hairy and ape seemed like the taunt people went with. There was no racial context behind it.

It's entirely possible that a 13 year old girl made the remark without meaning to be racist. Adam Goodes may have interpreted as a racist remark, which is also understandable. But education of the girl is so much more important and beneficial for society than condemnation.

Don't try and turn this around. You made a disgusting, racist comment. You're such a f**kwit.

Surely you recognize the incredible hypocrisy of this post?

In one breath, you admonish a girl for calling someone an offensive name, then you go straight ahead and call another person a f**kwit...

How much more 'offensive' is a racist slur than a general slur? And more importantly, who decides this?

I remember in primary school I used to be called an ape. I was quite a lot hairier in my arms and legs and hands than other kids. I also started to grow facial hair before most other kids. I am a Caucasian male, I was just big and hairy and ape seemed like the taunt people went with. There was no racial context behind it.

It's entirely possible that a 13 year old girl made the remark without meaning to be racist. Adam Goodes may have interpreted as a racist remark, which is also understandable. But education of the girl is so much more important and beneficial for society than condemnation.
If I read one more comment that says "I'm a white guy and I'm called a monkey, it doesn't upset me" I'm going to scream!

Regardless of whether the girl intended her words to be racist or not (debatable, I was under the impression it was common knowledge this term was offensive to black people) they were, and it negatively affected the person she targeted, that is the point. At the very least she sledged someone using unacceptably emotive language. Her embarrassment is unfortunate, but maybe she'll think twice next time she before she opens her mouth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. I knew before I was 8 years old that you don't call a black person an ape. People in this country need to stop making excuses for racism. It's disgusting that there are people out there bending over backwards to make excuses for racist Australians, and saying moronic, f***ing stupid things like
F***ing idiot!

People that say insulting, racist shit deserve to be called out. Regardless of whether they are 13 or 30. You don't stop racism by turning a blind eye to it and letting it continue just because the perp is younger than you. And I really don't buy that she didn't know that calling him an ape was insulting. That's bull. Anyone with half a brain knows that it is and has been a derogatory term for people of colour for over a century. She made the insult because she knew it was insulting and wanted to get under an opposition player's skin. Why else would she say it? It reeks of the same bulls**t excuses we heard when Indian fans made monkey chants at Andrew Symonds all those years ago. Society needs to stop allowing people to turn the racist instigators into the victims.
I love how you quote that half of my post and leave the rest of it out where I said she meant calling him an apein a derogatory way, but wouldn't want to make your rant against me useless by quoting me saying it was racist.

Goodes has ape like features as does Gareth Bale yet calling one an ape is considered racist, the other is light hearted fun. I would never think of Lance Franklin, Courtney Dempsey, Lindsay Thomas to name a few, as apes because they don't have ape like features. Goodes does.

Keep standing on your high horse about the issue, instead of facing the reality of it

Collingwood's perceived soft draw (MCG related) is a result of every other Victorian club requesting a home game against them. Thus leading to why we play 12-15 games a year at the MCG.

I'd be very surprised to read that interstate clubs are not requesting home games v Collingwood.

I'd be very surprised to read that interstate clubs are not requesting home games v Collingwood.
He mentioned only the vic clubs.

Mind you just because these other vic teams request a home game against Collingwood at the G, doesn't mean Collingwood automatically get a home game against the opposition as well

The most racist thing that happened in the AFL last year was the "All-Indigenous Team" that they sent to Ireland for the International Rules Series. Imagine if we sent an "All-White Team" over. People would've called it discrimination against Indigenous players - and they would've been right. So how is what happened not discriminating against white players? Sending over an "All-Indigenous Team" is basically giving them status as an inferior race that isn't capable of discrimination.
Well, it's not doing that at all actually, it's recognising that indigenous Australians are a minority in this sport, and its selecting the best of them to be rewarded with a great experience over in Ireland, the same way NBA fans like to create their "all-white team".

What I find truly shocking (and I can't believe some bigot with nothing better to do hasn't called them out) is the NRL allowing the go-ahead and continuation of this Indigenous All-Stars v the rest concept. If that's not stirring up racial tensions, I don't know what is.

So because GWS and Fremantles songs suck, we should abandon a huge and well loved tradition and, honestly, pretty important part of our game?

That's not a knee jerk over reaction at all! :confused::rolleyes:
I just love the wording, 'banning them is the only way forward', like it's a huge roadblock for us that needs to be resolved. Get me a bucket :rolleyes:

Port Adelaide has as many elite or potential elite players on its list than maybe every club except GWS, Gold Coast and Hawthorn (and probably Geelong as well).

Boak, Gray, Wingard, Hartlett, Ebert?, Lobbe, Monfries (elite small fwd?), Trengove, Cornes, Schulz, am I missing anyone?

Haven't designated which players are only potentially elite. I reckon you could argue that Schulz is an elite forward (kicks straighter than Buddy, Cloke so doesn't need as many shots on goal).

Open to discussion anyway.

And straight guys call each other "f****t" all the time, doesn't mean I don't get offended when you say it to me.

How the hell can't you see how calling a black person that word, and the implications it makes, is offensive?

Its just the old story.
Whoever can get offended about whatever.

So you put cloke and goodes next to each other, call them both the same name and one is racist?
All that shows is that the person thats getting offended is racist, otherwise they wouldnt see a difference.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Evolutionary_racism

This might help. I honestly thought it was pretty self explanatory.

Its not self-explanatory.
Cloke looks like an ape, not racist.
Gareth Bale looks like an ape, not racist.
Adam Goodes looks like an ape, somehow racist.

The thing is, the only way you determine that its racist is by the colour of the victims skin, which in itself is 'discrimination on the basis of race' which just so happens to be the definition of racism.

Im the first to stand up for the fact that people shouldnt be racist, but until the same rules are applied to all races, then you'll have racist people calling people racist.

Port Adelaide has as many elite or potential elite players on its list than maybe every club except GWS, Gold Coast and Hawthorn (and probably Geelong as well).

Boak, Gray, Wingard, Hartlett, Ebert?, Lobbe, Monfries (elite small fwd?), Trengove, Cornes, Schulz, am I missing anyone?

Haven't designated which players are only potentially elite. I reckon you could argue that Schulz is an elite forward (kicks straighter than Buddy, Cloke so doesn't need as many shots on goal).

Open to discussion anyway.

Trengrove is far from elite im sorry.
If he's elite you put him in the basket with players like Shoenmakers, Sam Fisher etc etc.

Its not self-explanatory.
Cloke looks like an ape, not racist.
Gareth Bale looks like an ape, not racist.
Adam Goodes looks like an ape, somehow racist.

The thing is, the only way you determine that its racist is by the colour of the victims skin, which in itself is 'discrimination on the basis of race' which just so happens to be the definition of racism.

Im the first to stand up for the fact that people shouldnt be racist, but until the same rules are applied to all races, then you'll have racist people calling people racist.

There is not the same tradition/history of referring to white people as subhuman, e.g. apes and monkeys. That's what makes it racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back