What's happening in the Bendigo Football League #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not true but i heard a rumour that Lock & Robins may be back. can anyone eloborate?

Heard lock is worried about his position at peel thunder as they have just signed Heath Black from Fremantle.
That would make things a little harder on the bloke, as for robins has just started work with s. rosa last week. not sure how his green thumbs are going....

Can someone tell me a little about Matt Johnston, I am fairly sure he plays in the Bendigo league... I have played basketball against him alot and am curious of how he goes with the oval ball. Even though it is a really ordinary game. Is he as good as he tells me he is ! :D

Can someone tell me a little about Matt Johnston, I am fairly sure he plays in the Bendigo league... I have played basketball against him alot and am curious of how he goes with the oval ball. Even though it is a really ordinary game. Is he as good as he tells me he is ! :D
if its the matt johnstone im thinking of he played at mt pleasant in 2008 in the HDFL. fairly handy player but has taken on a role as assistant coach at one of the KDFL clubs i think Rushworth.

Matt Johnston from Maryborough is a very good player.

Maryboroughs best last year. Might lose him to basketball this year though.

Well, not much happening on this thread at the moment so I'll have a go.
Everyone still on holidays or is there seriously nothing going on with recruiting?

Sandhurst training last night was again well attended - well over 40 players. Some really handy blokes are running around with them at training, that's for sure. Players returning to the club and some new recruits. The best thing is they are all mates so the atmosphere at the club is the best I've seen it for a long long while ..... and there's perhaps another big sponsor to come on board to compliment Jayco.

Heard lock is worried about his position at peel thunder as they have just signed Heath Black from Fremantle.
That would make things a little harder on the bloke, as for robins has just started work with s. rosa last week. not sure how his green thumbs are going....

thought black was playing this year with noble park in the eastern league playing with his brother so the paper said anyway. must have got a better offer, lock will play second string to black no doubt although i do remember in the article about black playing with noble park he could only play when his tv commitments allowed him so maybe he will only play a handfull of games for the thunder ?would be handy to have both players back as the bfl has lost a lot of talent over the last two years and has certainly dropped away from the top tier comps, anyway how is the big arab settling in down at eaglehawk ? will he add another club to his list of taking the money and running ? guess time will only tell !

thought black was playing this year with noble park in the eastern league playing with his brother so the paper said anyway. must have got a better offer, lock will play second string to black no doubt although i do remember in the article about black playing with noble park he could only play when his tv commitments allowed him so maybe he will only play a handfull of games for the thunder ?would be handy to have both players back as the bfl has lost a lot of talent over the last two years and has certainly dropped away from the top tier comps, anyway how is the big arab settling in down at eaglehawk ? will he add another club to his list of taking the money and running ? guess time will only tell !

Pretty sure he's actually Indian mate!! Was at training last Friday and met all the boys, fitting in well, big yr for the borough again!

how is strathfieldsayes side looking havent heard much about them.
spoke tp a few down there the other day, getting big,big numbers at training and training alot it seems.recriuted well player and coaching wise.. Pilcher and others from Bombers and some handy Riddell league players and seem to have a great set up with coaching staff. Whitsted and assistant Pedrotti will do a good job and i belive they have Nick Dyer (who drives harness racing horses)coaching thier reserves if this is the case he will be a good pick up from all reports has been very successfull especially with the younger players.

is my mate ryan doherty still running around for the flat? and how did he go last year?

Yeah mate, he's still around. Improved as the year went on last season (As did most of the team), and was a stand out on-baller by the end of the season. Has had a slow pre-season due to injury, but from all reports, ready to start full on training soon.

spoke tp a few down there the other day, getting big,big numbers at training and training alot it seems.recriuted well player and coaching wise.. Pilcher and others from Bombers and some handy Riddell league players and seem to have a great set up with coaching staff. Whitsted and assistant Pedrotti will do a good job and i belive they have Nick Dyer (who drives harness racing horses)coaching thier reserves if this is the case he will be a good pick up from all reports has been very successfull especially with the younger players.
who are the other bombers playing there? or is there just one other bomber with pilcher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who are the other bombers playing there? or is there just one other bomber with pilcher.

The other is Jono Gawthrop - who was a Bomber.... just.

He played reserves for Sandhurst in 2007, got a few senior games towards the end and the Bombers needed numbers for the reserves so poached him for 2008.

Looks like the Hurst have regained Nathan Meade from the Bombers (and KFlat)... 2006 u'18 premiership player with Sandhurst coming back to play with his mates.

Square signs Young

27/01/2009 8:48:00 AM Bendigo Advertiser

GOLDEN Square’s bid to win its first Bendigo Bank Bendigo Football-Netball League premiership since 2001 has been bolstered by the return of former Bendigo Bomber Dale Young. Young has spent the past three years with the Bombers, playing 16 VFL senior games with the club.

The 22-year-old joins a Golden Square side that was just six points away from winning the flag last year, having gone down to Eaglehawk in an epic grand final. “Dale is a good get for us considering he is originally from Golden Square and has now had those few years of experience playing in the VFL,” Golden Square coach Mark Adamson said. “He has played a reasonable number of senior games for the Bombers and comes back to us at a good age where that experience will have done him the world of good. “He’s a versatile player and at this stage we’re probably looking at him playing in the back half, but he has the flexibility to play a number of roles for us.” As well as picking up Young, the Bulldogs have also secured his brother, Shaun, who has spent time on the Bombers’ list too.
Also joining the Bulldogs this year will be ruckman David McMeekin.
McMeekin won the best and fairest last year for Geelong Football League club Newtown-Chilwell, while in 2007, he won the best and fairest with A Grade Amateur club St Bernard’s. The signing of McMeekin helps to fill the void of Hamish Dahl, who looks set to pursue a VFL career in Melbourne this year. “David can certainly play and his signing was a real key one for us,” Adamson said. “So we’re absolutely ecstatic to get him because getting a ruckman was the key for us after we picked up (midfielder) Nathan Bell.

“I think we’ve probably improved our list from last year, so it’s exciting.”
Among the other new players at Golden Square this year will be Nathalia’s Jason Limbrick, who can play key position at either end of the ground, while also filling the role of back-up ruckman. And after both announced their retirements following last year’s grand final loss, veterans Darren Walsh and Nick Carter, who were both among Golden Square’s best in the season decider, kicking seven goals between them, are expected to line up again for the Bulldogs. “Darren and Nick look like putting their hands up to have a run when they can,” said Adamson, who remains hopeful of playing this season after coaching from the sidelines last year.
Golden Square will play practice matches against Shepparton United (March 14), North Shore (March 21) and Euroa (March 28), before its round-one game against Eaglehawk on April 4, which is in 67 days. The Eaglehawk versus Golden Square grand final rematch at Canterbury Park will be the first of two games on the opening weekend of the BFNL’s 2009 season. The following day, Sandhurst will take on Kangaroo Flat at the Queen Elizabeth Oval.

Square signs Young

GOLDEN Square’s bid to win its first Bendigo Bank Bendigo Football-Netball League premiership since 2001 has been bolstered by the return of former Bendigo Bomber Dale Young. Young has spent the past three years with the Bombers, playing 16 VFL senior games with the club.

The 22-year-old joins a Golden Square side that was just six points away from winning the flag last year, having gone down to Eaglehawk in an epic grand final. “Dale is a good get for us considering he is originally from Golden Square and has now had those few years of experience playing in the VFL,” Golden Square coach Mark Adamson said. “He has played a reasonable number of senior games for the Bombers and comes back to us at a good age where that experience will have done him the world of good. “He’s a versatile player and at this stage we’re probably looking at him playing in the back half, but he has the flexibility to play a number of roles for us.” As well as picking up Young, the Bulldogs have also secured his brother, Shaun, who has spent time on the Bombers’ list too.
McMeekin won the best and fairest last year for Geelong Football League club Newtown-Chilwell, while in 2007, he won the best and fairest with A Grade Amateur club St Bernard’s. The signing of McMeekin helps to fill the void of Hamish Dahl, who looks set to pursue a VFL career in Melbourne this year. “David can certainly play and his signing was a real key one for us,” Adamson said. “So we’re absolutely ecstatic to get him because getting a ruckman was the key for us after we picked up (midfielder) Nathan Bell.

Among the other new players at Golden Square this year will be Nathalia’s Jason Limbrick, who can play key position at either end of the ground, while also filling the role of back-up ruckman. And after both announced their retirements following last year’s grand final loss, veterans Darren Walsh and Nick Carter, who were both among Golden Square’s best in the season decider, kicking seven goals between them, are expected to line up again for the Bulldogs. “Darren and Nick look like putting their hands up to have a run when they can,” said Adamson, who remains hopeful of playing this season after coaching from the sidelines last year.
Golden Square will play practice matches against Shepparton United (March 14), North Shore (March 21) and Euroa (March 28), before its round-one game against Eaglehawk on April 4, which is in 67 days. The Eaglehawk versus Golden Square grand final rematch at Canterbury Park will be the first of two games on the opening weekend of the BFNL’s 2009 season. The following day, Sandhurst will take on Kangaroo Flat at the Queen Elizabeth Oval.
Golden Square clear favourites now.

Golden Square clear favourites now.

2nd that some serious talent there mcmeekin is a gun have seen him play many times and should dominate the bfl great pick up there. bearsboy is damian slater signed sealed and delivered down at the kennel ? as have heard he may be rejoining his old side in colbo, how old would he be now he would have to be mid 30's wouldnt he ?

2nd that some serious talent there mcmeekin is a gun have seen him play many times and should dominate the bfl great pick up there. bearsboy is damian slater signed sealed and delivered down at the kennel ? as have heard he may be rejoining his old side in colbo, how old would he be now he would have to be mid 30's wouldnt he ?

Read the Heathcote FL thread - apparantly he's living in Gisborne and playing for Colbo

Square signs Young

What about Clayton Anderson?

Care of **********************

"Sandhurst continue to suggest they will return to being a competitive force with the latest signing of strong Bendigo Bombers midfielder Jon Coghlan a major boost. Coghlan who has spent the past two seasons in the VFL system showed plenty of promise with the Bombers with a number of solid performances at senior level. His brother Lee Coghlan who was with the Bendigo Pioneers is another likely to strip with the Dragons while 2004 Premiership player Mark Fitzgerald is set to provide the youthful Sandhurst line up with a fruitful avenue to goal."

So now that's Mark Fitzgerald, Jon Coghlan, Lee Coghlan, Nathan Meade, Matt Stagg, Michael Cornish, Lucas Reudin on board.

There's also a few second string senior players either returning or thinking about coming on board with us... but can't confirm names at this stage.

The Dragons will be much much more competitive in 2009!

Care of **********************

"Sandhurst continue to suggest they will return to being a competitive force with the latest signing of strong Bendigo Bombers midfielder Jon Coghlan a major boost. Coghlan who has spent the past two seasons in the VFL system showed plenty of promise with the Bombers with a number of solid performances at senior level. His brother Lee Coghlan who was with the Bendigo Pioneers is another likely to strip with the Dragons while 2004 Premiership player Mark Fitzgerald is set to provide the youthful Sandhurst line up with a fruitful avenue to goal."

So now that's Mark Fitzgerald, Jon Coghlan, Lee Coghlan, Nathan Meade, Matt Stagg, Michael Cornish, Lucas Reudin on board.

There's also a few second string senior players either returning or thinking about coming on board with us... but can't confirm names at this stage.

The Dragons will be much much more competitive in 2009!
Great for Hurst and the comp, add those names to McGee, Borchard, Nihill and they could be a finals contender and at the very worst they will improve significantly. Flat will improve and apparently so will Maine so there we could see a more even comp which is great. The only two who may struggle are strath & kyneton but they will have young lists so this is understandable. More close matches is better for us supporters.

Great for Hurst and the comp, add those names to McGee, Borchard, Nihill and they could be a finals contender and at the very worst they will improve significantly. Flat will improve and apparently so will Maine so there we could see a more even comp which is great. The only two who may struggle are strath & kyneton but they will have young lists so this is understandable. More close matches is better for us supporters.

Don't forget the Hurst's average age is still under 21! And if you took out McGee, Borchard and Nihill, it would be even lower! Most of our side in '08 were under 18's from the year before and these new signings are still young kids around 20-21... with Fitzgerald the exception at 25.

I'm expecting the Dragons to finish middle of the road which will launch us into a huge 2010.

so how many ex bendigo bombers are playing in the BFL this year?

here is a few that i can remember. feel free to add any names i miss. i no i;ve missed heaps. dont no my sth that well.

Square - D Young, S Young.

S'Hurst - N Meade, J Coglan

K Flat - T Downie, J Maddern, J West, A Gladman, S Geary, D Roy, G Ford, C Wilmot.

S'Saye - M Pilcher, J Gawthrop

E'Hawk -

Ky -

South - G Bowles,

Gis -

C'Maine -

M'Borough -

so how many ex bendigo bombers are playing in the BFL this year?

here is a few that i can remember. feel free to add any names i miss. i no i;ve missed heaps. dont no my sth that well.

Square - D Young, S Young.

S'Hurst - N Meade, J Coglan

K Flat - T Downie, J Maddern, J West, A Gladman, S Geary, D Roy, G Ford, C Wilmot.

S'Saye - M Pilcher, J Gawthrop

E'Hawk -

Ky -

South - G Bowles,

Gis -

C'Maine -

M'Borough -
The bombers is a good concept in theory but the reality is that it is not working. You only have to look at nth ballarat's structure to understand why it won't work in Bendigo. I might be wrong but i can't believe that the bombers are good for the Bendigo football region

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back