Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

He kept doing the same thing over and over. Burning options on the inside to turn back towards the boundary and get onto his left foot, but in doing so hemming himself in so he was kicking under pressure. He's a great kick of the footy but pressure will reduce even the best to shoddy rushed kicks that don't find their targets.

I think the repetitiveness of this playing out over the first few quarters sapped him of confidence. He usually wants the ball in his hands more than anyone in the team. Not so in the second half.

Like a few others, he needs to remember it's a team.

He may as well not have been out there.

Clear as day. Up by 30, Chad starts showboating and the rest of the team follow suit.

Heeney and Gulden watching the ball while a Saints player bursts through to take it in the last few minutes. Just a shitload of expecting the other player to do the work and not enough desire to defend/want the ball.
Even though Warner does have a tendency to make some dumb mistakes at least he fully commits to an option once he selects it. At least when he does make a mistake it's a positive and (usually) one that's results in metres gained. Given that this is consistently the case with Warner and probably scores just as many goals as it costs means that having given (or at least not actively curtailed) that licence that Sydney need to accept it to a degree.

The bigger issues are the ones like you pointed out that are caused by blind arrogance or lack of effort / unwillingness to defend or a player panicking. The biggest one for me is McInerney having a shot touched on the line because he didn't kick through the ball and half arsed the shot. Players putting themselves under unnecessary pressure because they panicked. 4 (that I can remember) snaps at goal missed because a player second guessed themselves and put themselves under more pressure than they needed to. At least another 4 not taken because a player panicked and made a pass the buck decision.

I wish there were stats on slip overs. We have a slip or 2 over at a crucial stage most weeks and we slip over far too much, when I watch other games (or our opposition) I barely see a player slip over at all.

That's 2 weeks in a row we've conceded decent scores to teams that really struggle to kick them. Our defence is way off right now.

We were always going to have a slump at some point and it's better now than right before September, but that was a W that should've been put away regardless. It was also a chance to win a close game and another failure there is a worry. Today was a big pissed away opportunity on so many fronts. 2 games clear makes it easier, but if we bring the same shit next week we'll find ourselves in big trouble and right back in the pack with top 4 far from locked in.
Took the words out of my mouth. Infuriates me. We Are world record holders in it. Number 1 rule. Keep you feet.

Our amazing pinpoint field kicking deserted us completely today. Just hope we can re-find that. If we can, we can totally dictate the terms of any game.

Started with mccartin missing in the first. Blakey missing. Even the kick at the end that fell between gulden and heeney.

Kicking was awful. Handballs missed. As with last week tackles didn’t stick.

This was a really awful match. Even down to blakey falling over when the ball was squared to him. He should have been shooting directly in front 45m out. Instead they go the length and score.

Out: Amartey, Wicks
In: Hamling, Adams
Sub: Co Warner

Heeney up forward.

Really don't think Parker in mediocre reserves form and 6 weeks off, or Mills first match of the season is going to help us. If it were a wet game, maybe Parker, but doesn't look like it.
I would like to see either Parker or Mills come in as the sub. Mills has had a game in the reserves (I believe) so I would bring him back next week. Better then, against North than Brisbane at the Gabba.

Even though Warner does have a tendency to make some dumb mistakes at least he fully commits to an option once he selects it. At least when he does make a mistake it's a positive and (usually) one that's results in metres gained. Given that this is consistently the case with Warner and probably scores just as many goals as it costs means that having given (or at least not actively curtailed) that licence that Sydney need to accept it to a degree.

The bigger issues are the ones like you pointed out that are caused by blind arrogance or lack of effort / unwillingness to defend or a player panicking. The biggest one for me is McInerney having a shot touched on the line because he didn't kick through the ball and half arsed the shot. Players putting themselves under unnecessary pressure because they panicked. 4 (that I can remember) snaps at goal missed because a player second guessed themselves and put themselves under more pressure than they needed to. At least another 4 not taken because a player panicked and made a pass the buck decision.
That McInerney kick absolutely killed me. And was emblematic of our day, really. Too damn casual and big-headed.

I would like to see either Parker or Mills come in as the sub. Mills has had a game in the reserves (I believe) so I would bring him back next week. Better then, against North than Brisbane at the Gabba.
Neither played in reserves. Parker at least had a pre-season and has played. Wouldn't have either as sub, there'd be little point. They either get a full game in VFL for match fitness, or they're ready to come in. Playing them as sub just means they don't get match fit.

Took the words out of my mouth. Infuriates me. We Are world record holders in it. Number 1 rule. Keep you feet.
I thought the Blakey slip over right in front of goal was pivotable to us losing. A truley critical moment in the game.The ball went straight back down our end and they scored. A 12 point turnaround. Not blaming Blakey. But it turned the game when we had the momentum and the opportunity to get a winning lead.

I mean any team will fancy their chances now if they follow a basic blueprint
In all 3 losses, the opposition followed a very simple game plan built on pressure and intensity. Compete hard at stoppages, possess the ball with short kicks and uncontested marks, then pull the trigger with overlap run and then lower the eyes and kick to a leading forward. For this to work, you need to maintain run, pressure and take your opportunities with accurate kicking as all teams now know we can score quickly.

So yes, it is a basic blueprint but also theoretically, easy to counter. Our work rate and pressure just needs to be better than our opponents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This actually started in the 2nd half against GWS where we conceded 7 goals in a row since then its been downhill

Yep from the rain at GWS been down but still since then it's been what

Opposition 36.21.237

Sydney 28.36. 204

Not much in it but interesting 64 scoring shots to 57 out way

Kick ****en straighter

(Maths done in head so could need checking)

Without Amartey turning into Ronke for one evening we probably lose against Adelaide as well

Without Philippou turning into Chris Judd or Amiss Sturt kicking like plugger we win all 3

Haven’t read the whole thread but it looks like I’m one of very few who isn’t overly concerned. Yes we’ve looked rubbish the last couple of weeks, yes we need to pull our fingers out, but we’re not the first top of the ladder team to ever have a mid-season form slump. The poor pressure ratings indicate it’s clearly an effort thing on our end (which is fixable) rather than being “worked out”.

Would rather get these reminders that we’re not invincible now than in 8 weeks or so.

I’m still strangely confident that we’ll be back firing on all cylinders before long, and definitely when it matters at the business end.

Yep from the rain at GWS been down but still since then it's been what

Opposition 36.21.237

Sydney 28.36. 204

Not much in it but interesting 64 scoring shots to 57 out way

Kick ****en straighter

(Maths done in head so could need checking)

Yer of course i mean with all due respect Saints are a fair way away from a top 8 side before today they had 5? wins.

Our Aura of invincibility is gone with today loss imo

Haven’t read the whole thread but it looks like I’m one of very few who isn’t overly concerned. Yes we’ve looked rubbish the last couple of weeks, yes we need to pull our fingers out, but we’re not the first top of the ladder team to ever have a mid-season form slump. The poor pressure ratings indicate it’s clearly an effort thing on our end (which is fixable) rather than being “worked out”.

Would rather get these reminders that we’re not invincible now than in 8 weeks or so.

I’m still strangely confident that we’ll be back firing on all cylinders before long, and definitely when it matters at the business end.

Bet we beat Brisbane in 2 weeks

In all 3 losses, the opposition followed a very simple game plan built on pressure and intensity. Compete hard at stoppages, possess the ball with short kicks and uncontested marks, then pull the trigger with overlap run and then lower the eyes and kick to a leading forward. For this to work, you need to maintain run, pressure and take your opportunities with accurate kicking as all teams now know we can score quickly.

So yes, it is a basic blueprint but also theoretically, easy to counter. Our work rate and pressure just needs to be better than our opponents.
The other key element is that they end up having shots from inside 30 because they’re running forward in waves. We keep having shots from 50. It’s tough to kick accurately from there

Yer of course i mean with all due respect Saints are a fair way away from a top 8 side before today they had 5? wins.

Our Aura of invincibility is gone with today loss imo

We never had an aura of invincibility, no team does. Every team has a crack at the best team.

Even today if we did one thing was show we are in every game ---- yes ****en embarrassing loss , but teams can't put us away.

Bet we beat Brisbane in 2 weeks
Yeah wouldn’t surprise me. Reckon it starts with us making a bit of a statement with a big win against North next week, which everyone will disregard because it’s “just North” but it could turn out to be the game where the effort returns and we blow off the cobwebs to get our run-home kick started.

Richmond we reportedly had a virus knock the team about.

Freo we lost to a decent side who played well.

Today, we just played to the standard of that god awful pride jersey.

Put us back in the proper white with the red V & forget all the bloody “this week it’s {insert cause here} week”.

Grrrrrrrr.

Rant over.

For now.
Donate a win to a poor side week!

Yeah wouldn’t surprise me. Reckon it starts with us making a bit of a statement with a big win against North next week, which everyone will disregard because it’s “just North” but it could turn out to be the game where the effort returns and we blow off the cobwebs to get our run-home kick started.
North are in better form than the Saints were. If we have a big win, it'll be impressive.

At this point, a win is enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Wheels falling off? 2 point loss to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back