When did the Crows become the team you supported?

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading this thread and seeing all those born 1990+, never knowing life without the AFC is making me feel very old! Prior to 1990 I was a St Kilda supporter (my cousin played for them in the 80s). When Adelaide came along I thought I'd barrack for them, but the Saints would stay my number 1 team. That worked ok until round 7 1991... That infamous day at Moorabin where the Crows were pumped by 131 points. From that moment I hated St Kilda and the only team for me was Adelaide
Don't feel too old. Some of the kids on here need some educating about the early days, and why things are what they are!

Grew up as a Roosters supporter (saw them win Australian Championship while at Uni), with the Panthers as second team because I lived a long drop punt from the old Panther Park. Moved to Melbourne for work and picked up North Melbourne. Was living back in Adelaide through the Power subversive bid and the formative process of the Crows. Bought 2 season tickets for '91 season, and have been totally one-eyed since!

I reckon I went to that game at Adelaide Oval......was it against Carlton?

My Family are country Victoria and my grandpa was a mad Hawks man. we moved to Adelaide when I was 3 so while I was Hawks didn't really follow footy until school where I decided due to the Bully being port (no surprise there) and it being the early 1970's that Sturt would be my team, But had the hatred of port from the age of 5. Still really followed the Hawks in the 90's and even though I suffered the pain in 91 of that first game wasn't until port were entering the AFL arena that my love of the Crows blossomed, tried to follow both but the media made that nearly impossible. Still have the Hawks as my second side. But my feelings towards port (I have been told I have issues) really solidified my allegiance to the Crows.
Oh...did I mention I hate Port

Was brought up by Dad to follow Glenelg and hate Port. Supported Footscray in the early 90's becuase I wanted to be Chris Grant when I played. Switched to the Crows in '96 when I moved to QLD, as I wanted to rep my home state and have never looked back.

I was born in 1990, so then.

Parents told me too. Best thing they ever told me, outside of supporting CDFC :thumbsu:

It was all through the 91 or 92 seasons somewhere!
I'm a born and bred Victorian traitor!
Didnt follow VFL too much as I played junior footy, and didnt really get to see it.
In 91 my father passed away and I lost the family influence for Essendon.
That same year my junior club folded and I didnt play anymore, and guess who was on TV every second week... Crows. In no time I knew all the players, and it was fun to tell my vic friends I went for an interstate team.
Guess it was fate....

I was a Norwood supporter from as far back as I can remember. I was barely even aware of the existence of the VFL though, until one of my friends got me to watch the '89 GF with him - the epic contest between Geelong and Hawthorn, with Ablett kicking 9 goals in a losing side.

I started watching the AFL regularly on TV in 1990, while I was supposed to be studying for year 12. I didn't really follow any particular team, though I had a leaning towards West Coast because they were the only team from outside Victoria who were even vaguely competent.

Then the whole Port Adelaide thing happened and the Crows were born - and I was a supporter of them from day 1. I remember sitting by the radio, my ears glued, listening to the first ever trial game (vs Geelong).
Hey Vader, this basically mirrors my story as well. I grew up a mad Norwood supporter, learnt to hate Port, and absolutely loved state of origin games, although they were few and far between. Was there in person the day Sticks kicked a bag against the Big bad V (was it 10 goals?). Did my year 12 in 1989 and was hooked into the Crows from day 1.

Grew up in a mad Norwood household a stones throw from the Parade and went to many a game in the late 70's and into the 80's with my dad and uncle. Saw many greats for the Legs; Aish, Macintosh, Balme, Gallagher, Roberts, Thomas, Taylor and hated Port and Glenelg with a passion. Saw Cornsey...the flying cream puff...in his heyday and Peter Carey.

The 1984 GF against Port was the climax of my Norwood following in my young teens, such a ripper of a final. Only really got intrestred in the VFL when I followed the Swannies for all the madness of Capper and they always seemed to be playing on a Sunday arvo so it was good watching. Also Geelong for the brillance of GAZ Senior. As soon as the whole Port trying to get in happened..well already hated Port with a passion so I was a one eyed Crows supporter right from the get go. Also meant beating the Vics on a weekly basis, loved State of Origin through the mid 80's when Sticks, Plats, Bradley and co took it right up to the hated big V.

Went with mates pretty much half way through 91 when you could just rock up and sit anywhere. Followed them when I went to QLD for 5 years late 90's (good timing :() and tell you that for QLD and NSW followers back in the late 90's it was hard to get any AFC news, only what I could get online or from VHS and paper clippings sent up by my dad. Was a bit hard at first to support a team coached by Cornes, but after the first couple of wins, it became easier to let old hatreds die a bit.

Supported Glenelg as a kid much to my grandfathers great shame as he was a Port supporter. Wasn't really that much into footy though. Tigers being cool was probably the driving force in the choice. :) Didn't follow vfl/afl (nominally richmond). When the Crows came in, that first game was massive. Watched with everyone else as we torn apart the reigning premiers and have been following ever since.

I cannot remember exactly but I started playing footy in year 2 for the year 3 team so I guess it was 93 or 94. All my family are crows fans. My grandfather used to take me to all the home games, he even moved to Westlakes so he could walk to games. He took me to the 98 grandfinal. Great times.Crows is all I know.

From the beginning. I remember all the drama of late 1990 with Port's failed bid.

Same, I was in high school when the Crows started and have followed them since they started.

I've been going to home games since day 1, I've maybe missed only about 20 home games since 1991, but have watched all 499 games in one form or another (live at the game or TV)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grew up in QLD (mainly Sunshine coast) and never even heard of Aussie Rules, but Hated Rugby as it was so bloody boring to watch.
My family move to Adelaide in '88 and as a 16 year old and saw kids at lunch at school kicking a footy around, so went up to them and asked what they were doing... and they looked at me as I was some idiot lol. Remembering watching my first game on TV soon after (Norwood v Sturt) and fell in love with the game, fast, great skills, high scoring, big crowds... everything Rugby wasn't!
As coming to Aussie Rules late, never really followed a SANFL side (But hated Port), but when the Crows joined the AFL, I followed them ever since! Sadly being poor and living in the Hills, very rarely got to see games live, but do remember getting free tickets to first game under Blight, Even though I was very ill, I still went! Thankfully I lasted till the end of the game before being rushed to the hospital vomiting blood... What a great day it was! :D

I was born in 1990, so then.

Parents told me too. Best thing they ever told me, outside of supporting CDFC :thumbsu:

So do you remember when Centrals were shit? They were that bad in the early 90s that I had a sympathy vote for them -

I enjoyed their first premiership, especially growing up in Salisbury so I was in Centrals territory - However 10 years later they have had way more than enough and it looks like the mighty 'Legs are returning to the top!

I wasn't an ardent footy follower, but did barrack for Sturt when I was a youngster. I always hated Port; can't think why. ;)

I started following the Crows in 1996, when they'd won four games in a row and were top of the ladder. They only won four for the rest of the season. It didn't put me off though. Wow, the next two years were amazing! Best years of my life (what a sad life I lead).

Even though I don't post here often, I love reading what everyone has to say.

From the start, like most others - one of my earliest memories is of sitting with my family and some neighbours during the 93 final against Essendon where everyone was pissed off and for one hour it was suddenly not against the rules the swear out loud. I would have been 9.

I didn't really start getting really into watching footy until around 2001, though. Wasn't too interested in sports as a kid.

From the start, like most others - one of my earliest memories is of sitting with my family and some neighbours during the 93 final against Essendon where everyone was pissed off and for one hour it was suddenly not against the rules the swear out loud. I would have been 9.

I didn't really start getting really into watching footy until around 2001, though. Wasn't too interested in sports as a kid.

C'mon Stabby! I had you as a pin-up boy for the anti-nerd image of the mathemeticians.
Now you tell us you didn't like sports as a kid...

Supported Glenelg as a kid much to my grandfathers great shame as he was a Port supporter. Wasn't really that much into footy though. Tigers being cool was probably the driving force in the choice. :) Didn't follow vfl/afl (nominally richmond). When the Crows came in, that first game was massive. Watched with everyone else as we torn apart the reigning premiers and have been following ever since.
Collingwood were reigning premiers
But yeah, Hawthorn won it all that year.

First game was in 1992 against the Pies at Football Park. It was a Sunday night game, 8PM start from memory, a 5 point loss and an incredible atmosphere with 44,000 fans packed in. Sat in the members side in front of the northern stand is today, NW side of the ground 90 degrees opposite the scoreboard. Wasn't really a die hard fan back then but from 1997 onwards my support grew deeper. 1997 prelim was amazing because had so much doubts about the Crows before then.

Obsessed Sturt fan and went just about every week as a kid, from about 7yo onwards. Didn't really have a favourite team in the VFL but did watch it, and basically latched on to whichever team had ex-Sturt players in it.

Carlton - Peter Motley
Collingwood - Scott and Kym Russell
Essendon - Andrew Underwood (and Richmond)
Fitzroy - Carl Dilena
Geelong - David Welsby
Melbourne - Todd and Jay Viney
St Kilda - Damien Kitschke
Richmond - Bruce Lennon (did his knee early and hardly played)
Hawthorn - Greg Whittlesea

There were probably others I can't remember too. I would scan the teams in the paper Friday morning to see if any of them had been picked. Most were fringe players but Motley, Russell and Viney were stars.

Carlton was my #1 team if I had to pick one, mostly because of Motley who was my favourite player (I cried when he came runner up to Fielke in the Magarey Medal) but also because they were the 'Blues' which was similar to Sturt.

When the Crows came in I was initially excited but they didn't end up putting a single Sturt player on their list. Sturt were shit at the time so it was no surprise. I think Scott Field and Jason Bastian were in the preliminary expanded squad but neither made the final cut.

Screw the Crows, if they don't want any Sturt players they won't get me either was my attitude at the time. My family became instant Crows fans but I was determined to stick with Carlton after the Sturt snub.

That attitude lasted right up until Rnd 1 1991 when my dad got two tickets and took me along. It was awesome, packed house, brilliant football, SA vs VIC... and I was sold.

I guess technically from the beginning. My old man told me Adelaide had a team in the AFL so we gotta support them now.
Largely this is what happened to me.

Dad was a Torrens supporter. Mum was a wife of a Torrens supporter.

The crows were awesome. So right from the start.

I was grown up and out of the house when the premierships were won, but we took trips both years to watch the bulldogs get done in the prelim finals.

Was a great father/son/brother/sister bonding thing. We won and well! And I yelled a lot.

I was a Hawthorn supporter (not hard core though) but wasn't until the end of 1992 when we won 5 games in a row, including a few against then AFL powerhouses in St Kilda & Geelong (Hodges was on fire), that I really came on board. The start of 1993 and I was all over them, I have pretty much every game of 1993 still on VCR, absolutely loved Modra and was devastated after the 1993 prelim final!

Remove this Banner Ad

When did the Crows become the team you supported?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back