Where Do the Swans Go From Here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. Just wow!

The MRP, tribunal, umpires, COLA, ambassador payments, AFL influence on your recruiting, fixturing, academies, and the AFL in general all go in your favour for the last 20 years - and you have one, just one thing go against you - its only to do with the removal of a bonus that was unfair

No proof there at all, just a lot of speculation on your part and creating a narrative you want to create that has no baring on facts.

Do you have any proof?

The VFL paid the notoriously media shy Lockett to go to Sydney as an ambassador of the game, a deal that came about after it was in the news that a deal was made with Richmond.

Wow. Just wow!

The MRP, tribunal, umpires, COLA, ambassador payments, AFL influence on your recruiting, fixturing, academies, and the AFL in general all go in your favour for the last 20 years - and you have one, just one thing go against you - its only to do with the removal of a bonus that was unfair

Seriously if your senior players wanted to put the club ahead of themselves they'd all take a pay cut so the club could say COLA ends immediately and you could trade

Or maybe you just think its a coincidence that the only players who bumped anyone in the head in 2014 who didn't get suspended were all Swans?

You probably think the LeCras bump on Frawley is worse than the Frawley one

Are you actually suggesting you'd like to be treated the same as the other 17 clubs? Or that you are happy to be treated differently - you just you only want things in your favour

No one else in the comp could have signed Buddy to a silly 9 year deal as the risk of major injury or early retirement is too great that it would cripple a clubs salary cap for a decade. The Swans just figured the AFL would bail them out or change the rules if it went sour

If Buddy doesn't make it through the 9 years, I look forward to you starting a thread on the main board demanding that the Swans must be made to keep paying his salary and holding a spot on the list for him - as that's the contract that was agreed to

Anyway back to the point of the thread... what do you think the Swans will do with trading & drafting in the next two years?

Didn't bother reading the rest of your post after "wow"!
I know it's content!

I'll just repeat that your judgement is clouded by the loss of Buddy!

"AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou yesterday confirmed a precedent existed where an AFL player - Tony Lockett - was paid by the league as an ambassador in an expansion market."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...rth-and-join-gws/story-fnelctok-1226590341250

Richmond was not mentioned other than this little bit, something you clearly did not notice

The AFL also has appointed 11 multicultural ambassadors, including Richmond's Bachar Houli, Collingwood's Harry O'Brien, St Kilda's Leigh Montagna and West Coast's Nic Naitanui.

I don't think Nankervis has the tank to take on sole ruck duties as yet and either way, he's more of a forward/part time ruck like Tippett. Everything else you've said however is pretty much s pot on.
Not trolling and genuinely interested in people's thoughts on Nankervis. For me he really looks slow and his ball drop seems to take forever that I saw him get tackled (Hawks game) a fair bit when attempting to kick. My opinion but he just seems a bit off the pace for AFL standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As stated I think you could have had Mumford, Malceski, Ryder & Frawley instead of Buddy

Anyway the reasons for the ban are irrelevant to how the Swans act now

There are decent kids coming through the academy you still have a first round pick

I'd be talking to some of the senior players about taking a pay cut so there's plenty of spare salary cap available when the trade ban ends

I don't see the Swans missing the 8 in 2016

Mumford, Malceski, Ryder and Frawley? Spare me.

When COLA debate first raged everyone spoke about Tippet and also whined about how Mumford was a big recruit. RYder was a big recruit. Frawley was a big recruit.

Two of those guys combined are a mill a year- let alone 3- let alone 4.

Frawley is 550k roughly a year, Mumford is roughly 600k, Malceski rumours are contract is 500k a year (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...icted-free-agent/story-fni5ezdm-1227081875497) and Ryder I imagine is in mumford territory.

So those guys would be roughly 2.2 million- so we could have those 4 and not have Buddy/Tippet if we got rid of someone else.

Tippet will be taking a paycut or leaving- Goodes and Shaw will get to retire, and talk that Jetta will return home. Don't expect an awful lot of money to be avaliable (new salary cap rules though) but will be interesting.

Not trolling and genuinely interested in people's thoughts on Nankervis. For me he really looks slow and his ball drop seems to take forever that I saw him get tackled (Hawks game) a fair bit when attempting to kick. My opinion but he just seems a bit off the pace for AFL standard.
He's turning 21 (today, actually). Rucks generally take a bit of time to get going, and he's only played 5 games. Give him some time to develop and we'll see. You may be right, i just think it's a bit early to say.

He's turning 21 (today, actually). Rucks generally take a bit of time to get going, and he's only played 5 games. Give him some time to develop and we'll see. You may be right, i just think it's a bit early to say.
Actuallu didn't realise he was 21. Good call. Gee he's a big unit.

I've heard a number of Swans fans bemoaning the "coaching" as a key reason for this "decline" (more of a form slump, Swans still well capable of hoisting the cup this year). But I have a hard time understanding this...

Horse won 2012, took youse to a prelim 2013, Grand Finalists in 2014 & still genuine contenders in '15!

Compare this to Alistair Clarkson (peace be upon him!) - won 2008 & immediately dropped out in '09... And took another few years to just make a grannie, only to lose in 2012 to Longmire!!

is the coach really the issue?

I do agree with your point re: on-field leadership.

As far as the Coaching goes, the problem seems to be Horse doesn't have a plan B , if Plan A doesn't work and is not proactive enough in making the necessary changes.
As for the assistant coaches, just stale in their ideas and a very similar style to Horse, need someone from outside the club with fresh ideas imo.

No proof there at all, just a lot of speculation on your part and creating a narrative you want to create that has no baring on facts.

Yes I'm just making it all up

Its complete speculation on my part

Only I believe that the AFL have treated Sydney differently over the years

It's been 9.8% more expensive to live in Sydney for the last number of years - this % of expense is consistent from $50,000 earners to $1,000,000 earners
While all other cities in Australia have had identical cost of living

Buddy has been treated consistently by the MRP throughout his career

There is no variation in the ratio of FF and FA for Adam Goodes in 2013 and 2014 compared to the rest of his career.

All players who bumped someone in the head in 2014 received a suspension as the head is sacrosanct

The AFL did not interfere with Tony Lockett in his decision to play for the Sydney Swans

The Swans have not played key matches in the last few years where their opponents have been on the back of 3 consecutive 6 day breaks

The Swans have had as many 6 day breaks over the last few years as other clubs generally have had

The Swans were punished appropriately for putting an extra player on the field in a match that was involved in the play

The Swans did not gain extra days breaks over Collingwood and Hawthorn in the 2012 finals series. As usual, the AFL were especially considerate regarding Collingwood as their week was heavily disrupted by a funeral

As always the AFL are careful to ensure teams that are third on the ladder don't have fixturing advantages in the finals over teams that are higher placed

The Sydney Swans have never had more "ambassadors" than what the "average" club has had since the introduction of ambassadors

Sydney would kill for a Spangher type player right now. When almost a third of your cap is spent on two or three players there's not much left in the name of depth.

Hard to disagree, but I also don't blame the club for going after Buddy. Would have been stupid to pass up the opportunity.

Considering the AFL have put them in the naughty corner, their going to find it tough to replenish quickly? When will they be able to trade and bring in free agents again? End of 2016?

I find it interesting that less than 12mths from when the Swans were favourites in a Granny, that it is all now gloom and doom....give them as run without injury and all is back to normal..although Horse will need have a better plan when succumbing to injury...Clarko does and always has

Sydney copped their whack for the COLA. Let's all move on now. I think Sydney for still a very good team with the premiership window still open for a couple of more years.

Come finals they will find something

They have been in cruise mode really ...yeah a few losses but I think you will win last four games

If you,lose to pies this week I'd be concerned however I think you'll smash them and grab third on the ladder

How do Sydney possibly get 3rd they are basically 2 games behind Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Where Do the Swans Go From Here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back