Where to for Tippett?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the frustration I have is the lack of support around Tippett in recent weeks and him playing too far up the ground.

It frustrates me when we look to Tippett and he is the only one there, and he is out numbered and the ball comes out quicker then it went in!

I think he needs to stay in the side or we are taking steps backwards!

Did you watch Fev today? Have you been watching Truck? Earlier in the season is gone. This is the here and now. Truck WILL be slaughtered if he plays on the Fev. Delivery is now much cleaner and quicker. The leading Fevola is unstoppable - certainly by the slow Truck.

Fev kicked 8 I believe the match before we played them last time and Judd was just playing himself into form. Its up to our midfield to provide appropriate pressure to those delivering the ball, otherwise it wouldn't matter who we have on Fev he will destroy us. If we could perhaps get a Basset, Stevens or even Moran driftin across in front of Fev it will go along way to stopping him.

One on one Truck would probably be beaten on the lead, but then so would every defender in the comp pretty much. If Fev gets good delivery and has space to lead into we're in trouble, all we need Rutten to do is provide a contest and work on getting Fev to lead wide, not straight up the guts. If he can do this, he's done his job, its up to everyone else to do theirs.

Did you watch Fev today? Have you been watching Truck? Earlier in the season is gone. This is the here and now. Truck WILL be slaughtered if he plays on the Fev. Delivery is now much cleaner and quicker. The leading Fevola is unstoppable - certainly by the slow Truck.

Fevola was in better form last time we played. Hed just kicked back to back bags of 8 goals.

Thats the same opinion you stated on this very board earlier in the year when we played Carlton and Truck did a brilliant job!

I think by now you should realise that Rutten can stop quick players not because he is quick off the mark but because he is an extremly smart footballers that plays the angles as well as anybody. He puts himself between his opponent and the areas they like to lead into, forcing them wide and giving them tough shots.

Rutten can handle Fevola but I would like to see Bock back at CHB.

What’s his best long term position - Ruck or forward?

Will west Adelaide play his as a permanent forward so he can develop in this position, possibly not and more than likely play him in the ruck So in my opinion due to the fact we cannot control where our players are played the best thing for his long term development is to stay in the AFL side.

Great chance to find out this week.

NC should just chuck him in the ruck every time Kruezer goes in there, then you will see his rucking skills, bc Kruezer unlike "proper" AFL ruckmen wont be able to just push him around.

Thats the same opinion you stated on this very board earlier in the year when we played Carlton and Truck did a brilliant job!

I think by now you should realise that Rutten can stop quick players not because he is quick off the mark but because he is an extremly smart footballers that plays the angles as well as anybody. He puts himself between his opponent and the areas they like to lead into, forcing them wide and giving them tough shots.

yeah I think that's fair. speed for a defender is how quick you can read the ball in flight. if you can do that, you're quick. if you can't you're not.

See, I don't see Truck doing that... I see him three to four paces behind a fast leading forward. One on one, he cannot match the pace of Fevola, but I think Bock can. I think Truck was made to look good on Fevola last time because we cut the supply off from the middle. And there in lies the solution. Cut off the supply, block the space in front of him, and blind freddy could probably play on Fev and do an ok job. IF Fevola gets the sort of supply he got in last weekend's game against the doggies, we have absolutely NO hope in hell of stopping him.

Didn't Truck get injured during the game last time we played Carlton and Bock go back onto him? Can't remember how many Fev kicked on Rutten or Bock, but I don't think he got many for the game.

See, I don't see Truck doing that... I see him three to four paces behind a fast leading forward. One on one, he cannot match the pace of Fevola, but I think Bock can. I think Truck was made to look good on Fevola last time because we cut the supply off from the middle. And there in lies the solution. Cut off the supply, block the space in front of him, and blind freddy could probably play on Fev and do an ok job. IF Fevola gets the sort of supply he got in last weekend's game against the doggies, we have absolutely NO hope in hell of stopping him.

How come you get your back up whenever someone bag Jericho for his softness around a contest but you can blatantly bag Rutten for his lack of pace? :mad:

I think Truck should stand Fev, and I'd expect him to beat him as he does everyone else. Truck is a seriously great FB. Fev may have a bit of speed, but as stated up this thread a bit, Truck is a wily footballer and it is his footy smarts as well as his strength, size and ability that make him so difficult to kick goals on. How often since he has been back there has Truck lowered his colours?

As to Tip. I think a stint back in the SANFL would be good for both him and the team. At present, apart from when he goes up in the ruck, he appears to be getting in the way of other players. He has had a handful of possessions and hit outs in recent weeks. We need someone better if we are truly going to drive to the finals. Bring Grif back if he's now fully fit.

I reckon Tip has the potential to be a champion. He seemed okay earlier in the year, maybe it's just that his confidence is way down after a run of lean weeks. I don't think he can regain confidence at AFL level.

we need to stick with the lad, we need to build his experience and get games under his belt, this is a learning curb and a wonderful experience

our draw in the final 5 weeks will assist Kurt, in the back 6, Carlton, Richmond and Essendon are not have particularly strong, St Kilda are par at best and the Bullies are just a bit over par, so if Kurt keeps presenting things will turn his way

How come you get your back up whenever someone bag Jericho for his softness around a contest but you can blatantly bag Rutten for his lack of pace? :mad:

100px-Symbol_venus.svg.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? :confused: I don't "bag" Rutten.... nor do I make it personal. I just state that he is often beaten by the fast, leading forward when he's one on one. That's a fact. I have only ever stuck up for Jezza when people have turned it nasty and personal. Big difference.

What? :confused: I don't "bag" Rutten.... nor do I make it personal. I just state that he is often beaten by the fast, leading forward when he's one on one. That's a fact. I have only ever stuck up for Jezza when people have turned it nasty and personal. Big difference.

It’s not a fact, it’s our own perception. The only time Fevola has taken Rutten to the cleaners was the dream team game – before that, never so your perception regarding his leg speed is wrong.

Not my argument overall Jenny, but on this point I have to make a comment.

In the very last game that Jericho played - an absolute stinker where his efforts were soft, lazy and almost non-existent - you had a lash at Drummond for merely saying this, accusing him of singling Jericho out.

Drummond was merely telling the truth that any unbiased set of eyes would have seen. He was merely stating facts - as you claim that you are.

Jericho was a poor example for you to use IMO.

Not my argument overall Jenny, but on this point I have to make a comment.

In the very last game that Jericho played - an absolute stinker where his efforts were soft, lazy and almost non-existent - you had a lash at Drummond for merely saying this, accusing him of singling Jericho out.

Drummond was merely telling the truth that any unbiased set of eyes would have seen. He was merely stating facts - as you claim that you are.

Jericho was a poor example for you to use IMO.

I actually didn't use Jezza as an example? Somebody else brought it up. :confused:

Anyways, my comments were about Drummond starting yet ANOTHER thread about how crap Jericho was, and was clearly out of frustration. There were lots of other crap players that game, but Jezza was highlighted yet again. I agree that he played crap and deserved to be dropped, but did we have to start another thread? That's where that came from.

It’s not a fact, it’s our own perception. The only time Fevola has taken Rutten to the cleaners was the dream team game – before that, never so your perception regarding his leg speed is wrong.

Fevola has been playing in a.... let's face it - crap team - for a long time now. It was a very simple task for Truck to beat him - THEN, when supply to him was poor. But when you assess Truck against a fast leading forward, one on one... he rarely beats them. Look, don't get me wrong, I love the dude. But I appreciate and believe that it is our back line as a whole that defeats the opposition, because they work as a united team - ie. Rutten bullocking, Bassett or Stevens dropping in front, Bock running off and taking the rebound receive.. etc etc. I watched the Carlton game last weekend, and I believe, that if the supply to Fevola is the same as it was to him last weekend, Rutten (and consequently WE) will get flogged.

I watched the Carlton game last weekend, and I believe, that if the supply to Fevola is the same as it was to him last weekend, Rutten (and consequently WE) will get flogged.

It won't be. Simple as that. Of course we put more pressure on an opposing midfield than the Bulldogs. And we always have loose men in defence to help out. You can't say a Crows-Carlton game will be like a Bulldogs-Carlton game.

Truck will be fine on Fev - Truck can take him in a 1 on 1 body contest, the midfield can limit the supply and the other defenders can help on the lead. Just like every other week on similar power forwards, like Hall, Gehrig when he was good, Brown (more a CHF I know but Truck always chops him up). Teams who rely heavily on power forwards never do well against the Crows.

Why all the worry? :confused:

It won't be. Simple as that. Of course we put more pressure on an opposing midfield than the Bulldogs. And we always have loose men in defence to help out. You can't say a Crows-Carlton game will be like a Bulldogs-Carlton game.

Truck will be fine on Fev - Truck can take him in a 1 on 1 body contest, the midfield can limit the supply and the other defenders can help on the lead. Just like every other week on similar power forwards, like Hall, Gehrig when he was good, Brown (more a CHF I know but Truck always chops him up). Teams who rely heavily on power forwards never do well against the Crows.

Why all the worry? :confused:

Honestly? I think Trucks form has been not as good as years past. If we rely on him to stop the currently rampaging Fevola, we will lose. Just my opinion. Hall, Gehrig and Brown are NOT fast (in relation to Rutten)... but the Franklins, Fevolas, Pavlichs' of this world ARE. They are the ones that pull his pants down purely because of their speed. Of course, should we control the midfield, and be able to cut off the pin-point accurate Judd/Stevens passes, we can beat them. But Carlton are a MUCH better team now than the one we played earlier in the season. They are confident... and they are playing well as a team. If we think we have this game won purely because it's Carlton, we've lost before we start.

Fevola has been playing in a.... let's face it - crap team - for a long time now. It was a very simple task for Truck to beat him - THEN, when supply to him was poor. But when you assess Truck against a fast leading forward, one on one... he rarely beats them. Look, don't get me wrong, I love the dude. But I appreciate and believe that it is our back line as a whole that defeats the opposition, because they work as a united team - ie. Rutten bullocking, Bassett or Stevens dropping in front, Bock running off and taking the rebound receive.. etc etc. I watched the Carlton game last weekend, and I believe, that if the supply to Fevola is the same as it was to him last weekend, Rutten (and consequently WE) will get flogged.

problem with your "theory" is that anytime you have a quality forward in front of a rampagin midfield then it become a mission impossible.

this has ALWAYS been true. will be tomorrow too.

Truck got cleaned up by Fevola in the Vic Flagellation Event for two reasons:
There was no defensive pressure from the midfield, so the delivery to him was better than usual (try outstanding).
He didn't have the usual defensive structures around him.

Fevola will beat Rutten one-on-one most of the time. He's faster and more agile. What Adelaide did to combat him last time (and which has been shown to work by many teams) is to double team him. The put one man in front of him (usually Stevens or Bassett), blocking the space for him to run into. Having eliminated his strong leading, Rutten (later Bock) then went one on one with him and gave him a bath.

Fevola wasn't beaten by Rutten/Bock alone. He was beaten by the defensive structures that the whole team put in place. Expect a similar result this weekend.

Jenny is right to be critical of Rutten's ability against smaller, quicker, more agile opponents. Rutten has his strengths (he's outstanding when defending against the gorillas), but he also has his weaknesses. Few footballers are perfect and Rutten is no different.

Truck got cleaned up by Fevola in the Vic Flagellation Event for two reasons:
There was no defensive pressure from the midfield, so the delivery to him was better than usual (try outstanding).
He didn't have the usual defensive structures around him.

Fevola will beat Rutten one-on-one most of the time. He's faster and more agile. What Adelaide did to combat him last time (and which has been shown to work by many teams) is to double team him. The put one man in front of him (usually Stevens or Bassett), blocking the space for him to run into. Having eliminated his strong leading, Rutten (later Bock) then went one on one with him and gave him a bath.

Fevola wasn't beaten by Rutten/Bock alone. He was beaten by the defensive structures that the whole team put in place. Expect a similar result this weekend.

Jenny is right to be critical of Rutten's ability against smaller, quicker, more agile opponents. Rutten has his strengths (he's outstanding when defending against the gorillas), but he also has his weaknesses. Few footballers are perfect and Rutten is no different.

Absolutely. Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet but think of round 1 against the doggies when Rutten was matched up against Welsh. This was a bad matchup as it was, but he was disastrously exposed for pace and agility. Not sure how many of his four goals were scored on Rutten but it was at least a couple, purely because he couldn't match it with Welshy. Considering it was a three point margin, that matchup was costly.

Fev isn't quite the same type of player as Welsh, but there's similar concerns. Having said that, Vader is right. He won't be beaten purely one on one, it'll be a combination of that and the structure on the whole.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where to for Tippett?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back