Analysis Where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people keep saying “we have to play Clarke, Narkle, Constable etc next year to see what they’ve got”… do you not realise they are either out of contract or requesting trades? That ship has sailed thanks to playing the likes of Zuthrie, Higgins, Kola etc over them

When people keep saying “we have to play Clarke, Narkle, Constable etc next year to see what they’ve got”… do you not realise they are either out of contract or requesting trades? That ship has sailed thanks to playing the likes of Zuthrie, Higgins, Kola etc over them
Clarke isn't gone yet. He's contracted lets see if we can keep him on and put a good pre-season into him.

Agree, but whatever is left has to be played.
No point leaving Clark in the VFL for most of the season again, likewise no point having guys like Freddie and SDK and others sitting in the 2s just to be traded/delisted.
Play them.
Often and with continuity.
Clark should play 20 games next year, get in his ear and make him earn it sure, but regardless of output he SHOULD play 20 games.
Holmes should likewise and in the midfield.
Simpson in the same boat.
Freddie and SDK should get multiple games.
There's no point grinding our veterans into the ground (again) and not giving them a rest/giving the younger players more responsibility.

I think the likes of Clark etc would be smart and within their right to ask who's being shown the door from the group before they request to stay, or look elsewhere. If they can't tell them they're moving on the likes of Higgins and Dalhouse, I'd see that as a cross in the wrong box to stick around.

Who in their right mind would want to take on Geelong with CS having one more year on his contract?
No win situation.
CS will keep the spot at least 2022, as he should.
We ran out of legs and luck this year.

The club has consistently and deliberately recruited older players for years. They managed to have no less than 11 players out there aged 30 or older. Running out of legs is neither a surprise nor an excuse.

And it's not luck, it's poor management.

The club has consistently and deliberately recruited older players for years. They managed to have no less than 11 players out there aged 30 or older. Running out of legs is neither a surprise nor an excuse.

The problem is Partridge - back in the day blokes like Bob Davis , Bill Goggin - would stir things up - theyd come out and say - they are dismayed with the club - the game plan is rubbish and wont stack up in finals etc - they might even suggest a change of coach- theyd rock the boat a bit

Unless something like that happens today - then nothing will change at Geel - and heaven help if Scott gets a 3 year extension - that will mean the next 4 years of short passing - rubbish to watch football - but because the competition is so week - Geel will win 13-14 games next year - but they will be meaningless wins

I honestly wouldn't care if we drop out the finals for 3-4 years and build a team from the draft.. we will win the od upset of a game, but you get some satisfaction of seeing a team built from scratch.. while we have few in there 29 30 age bracket can help guide them threw.. we won't be wooden spooners, but if it makes us finish 10th for example..
Rather that then keep topping up be top 4 for 6 years straight. I'd rather see us top 2 for 2/ 3 years and grap 1 flag then doing it for 7 years being top 4...

An observation:

I saw interviews on TV with Gawn and Lever during the week. Both of them were extremely relaxed, joking around, talking about embracing the opportunity ahead of them. Melbourne was the team with all the expectation, trying to overcome history, the weight of 50+ years of failure etc but they were obviously excited and enthusiastic.

From Scott and Selwood down, we are just so serious. It is clear in interviews, it was clear as we ran stony faced onto the ground last night while Gawn literally had an ear to ear grin pre-match.

This seriousness clearly manifests itself in how we play in big games - scared to make mistakes, no sense of dare etc. We see it in how Dangerfield tries to do everything himself because he wants to win so badly (FWIW I thought he was one of our only ok players last night). We need a rethink, we need to make footy fun again, for the players, coaches and supporters.

We end up third best team this year. Hardly a failure. That is ahead of where I believe we are.
As CS said, when we win, it's our experience, and when we lose, it's we are too old.
I do not see the season as a failure, given what we have gone through this year list-wise.
Many of our significant outs this year are not the older brigade-Stewart, Parfitt, Guthrie, Tuohy, Danger, MOC..
We have a depth issue, but our biggest concern is the MF grunt.
Danger is no longer a reliable gun.
Selwood is knocking on heaven's door as a player.
Duncan has only just returned
Menegola is a limited player.
Guthrie is carrying something.
Parfitt is out injured.
Smith is a win. Higgins a loss.
The others are bereft of experience, talent, poise and class, and the lack of VFL these past 2 years has contributed to stifling their progress.

The root of the problem is we have had 2 top ten draft picks since 2003- Selwood and Cockatoo and the latter we had to trade up to get into the top ten. How many top ten picks have Melbourne, Richmond, Brisbane, port Adelaide, the western Bulldogs Had in that time? People cite Sydney but they have been given exclusive access through their academy.
The competition is not a fair playing field and it is set up to reward failure and mismanagement and punish teams that make the best of the hand they are dealt and stay competitive. No other team has suffered from this as much as Geelong.
Many of our decisions have been shaped by this lack of access to top talent. Taking risks on Menzel and Cockatoo who had injury histories. Recruiting people with non football backgrounds like Blitzards. Recruiting older players. Hawthorn, the team next most starved of talent have taken similar risks and many have not come off too.
With the deck so heavily stacked against us, the team would need a lot of luck to win a premiership. We had little luck this year and would have lost to many teams yesterday. We have lost four of our last six. If Dustyn Martin had have got injured last year like he did this or in 2018 we may have won it last year. As I say, in our situation you need a fair bit of luck.
I'm not the biggest fan of Scott, but he is not a bad coach. Is he the best - no, far from it. But we did not lose yesterday because Goodwin was a better coach than Scott.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood is the deciding factor.
When he decides to go I feel some other dominoes will fall aswell (Danger, Hawkins, maybe a few like Blicavs might call it).
Once he goes the club should look at a hard reset. (not a negative towards Selwood either BTW).

Here's a lineup I'd like to see next year with also the possible addition of a draftee or 2 in the mix

B. Bews - Blicavs - Henry
HB. Stewart - Kreuger - Tuohy
C. Smith - C.Guthrie - Duncan
HF. Close - Cameron - Simpson
F. Evans - Hawkins - Jarvis
R. Stanley - Parfitt - Dangerfield
INT. Stephens - Selwood - Clark - Holmes
Sub. Narkle
Emer. De Koning - O'Connor - Menegola

Selwood is the deciding factor.
When he decides to go I feel some other dominoes will fall aswell (Danger, Hawkins, maybe a few like Blicavs might call it).
Once he goes the club should look at a hard reset. (not a negative towards Selwood either BTW).
Why would Hawkins go? He’s in great form.

Hawkins is not near the end.
2 years out of him easily.

The root of the problem is we have had 2 top ten draft picks since 2003- Selwood and Cockatoo and the latter we had to trade up to get into the top ten. How many top ten picks have Melbourne, Richmond, Brisbane, port Adelaide, the western Bulldogs Had in that time? People cite Sydney but they have been given exclusive access through their academy.
The competition is not a fair playing field and it is set up to reward failure and mismanagement and punish teams that make the best of the hand they are dealt and stay competitive. No other team has suffered from this as much as Geelong.
Many of our decisions have been shaped by this lack of access to top talent. Taking risks on Menzel and Cockatoo who had injury histories. Recruiting people with non football backgrounds like Blitzards. Recruiting older players. Hawthorn, the team next most starved of talent have taken similar risks and many have not come off too.
With the deck so heavily stacked against us, the team would need a lot of luck to win a premiership. We had little luck this year and would have lost to many teams yesterday. We have lost four of our last six. If Dustyn Martin had have got injured last year like he did this or in 2018 we may have won it last year. As I say, in our situation you need a fair bit of luck.
I'm not the biggest fan of Scott, but he is not a bad coach. Is he the best - no, far from it. But we did not lose yesterday because Goodwin was a better coach than Scott.

testify man!

Here's a lineup I'd like to see next year with also the possible addition of a draftee or 2 in the mix

B. Bews - Blicavs - Henry
HB. Stewart - Kreuger - Tuohy
C. Smith - C.Guthrie - Duncan
HF. Close - Cameron - Simpson
F. Evans - Hawkins - Jarvis
R. Stanley - Parfitt - Dangerfield
INT. Stephens - Selwood - Clark - Holmes
Sub. Narkle
Emer. De Koning - O'Connor - Menegola

That Geel side youve put up - and i know its hit the Cats over the head with the baseball bat from all and sundry

But if anyone has got the time to do it - i love someone to put the Melb 22 from last night up - and against each player - put their draft pick up - and for players who have changed clubs like Ben Brown not interested at all what Nth Melb pick he was - just what Melb had to give to get him etc

It would be interesting reading to see how many high draft picks are in their team - because they have got a very young team

I suspect we planned for the pre-finals bye and when that was scrapped we were further exposed.

That Geel side youve put up - and i know its hit the Cats over the head with the baseball bat from all and sundry

But if anyone has got the time to do it - i love someone to put the Melb 22 from last night up - and against each player - put their draft pick up - and for players who have changed clubs like Ben Brown not interested at all what Nth Melb pick he was - just what Melb had to give to get him etc

It would be interesting reading to see how many high draft picks are in their team - because they have got a very young team

I'll have a crack at it.

Christian Petracca - pick 2, 2014
Angus Brayshaw - pick 3, 2014
Luke Jackson - pick 3, 2019
Clayton Oliver - pick 4, 2015
Christian Salem - pick 9, 2013
Kysaiah Pickett - pick 12, 2019
Jake Bowey - pick 21, 2020
Jack Viney - pick 26, 2012
Tom Sparrow - pick 27, 2018
Charlie Spargo - pick 29, 2017
Bayley Fritsch - pick 31, 2017
Trent Rivers - pick 32, 2019
James Jordon - pick 33, 2018
Max Gawn - pick 34, 2008
Harrison Petty - pick 37, 2017
Alex Neal-Bullen - pick 40, 2014
Tom McDonald - pick 53, 2010
James Harmes - pick 2 rookie draft, 2013

I'll have a crack at it.

Max Gawn - pick 34, 2008

Wowser - I guess you could possibly take this as a bit of a compliment that Cats were up amongst teams like this.

I'll have a crack at it.

Max Gawn - pick 34, 2008
Add to that the guys they have brought in.

Jake Lever - pick 14, 2014
Steven May - Gold Coast Priority selection

A lot of high picks for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back