Prediction Where will we finish in 2024

Giants standing after the Home and Away season

• Minor Premiers (first time in our history!)

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Top 4

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • 5-8

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Won’t make the finals

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think best case we finish 2nd or 4th and don’t have to leave NSW in week 1. I think cats finish 2nd though given their last 2 games are gimme’s and should lift their % considerably.

Although we have a good record in Geelong finishing 3rd and travelling down their week 1 wouldn’t be ideal

Win next week and guarantee I home final.

I think we win both remaining games and finish 3rd with port losing to freo in round 24.

Bit like last year the “experts” are a bit slow jumping on the orange wagon. We have knocked off the 2 form teams in consecutive weeks but get little credit for it.

FoxSports summary of the final contenders - the good news is that we are predicted to make the finals by wining 1 of our last 2 matches. We could even win our first ever minor premiership by winning both matches and if a series of unlikely permutations occur. Conversely we could still miss the finals if we lose both our games and another series of unlucky permutations occur. What a season!

3. GWS GIANTS (14-7, 111.8%)
To play:
Fremantle at ENGIE Stadium, Western Bulldogs at Mars Stadium
To lock up top four: Win twice
To lock up top eight: Win once
Best case: Finish 1st by going 2-0 AND Sydney goes 0-2 AND Port Adelaide and Geelong go 1-1 (or stay/fall behind on percentage)
Worst case: Would miss finals by going 0-2 losing by reasonable amounts AND Hawthorn and Carlton go 2-0 AND Geelong and Brisbane win at least once AND Fremantle def Port Adelaide AND Western Bulldogs def North Melbourne

Three of the Giants’ wins in this current six-game streak came when they lost by expected score... but the expected score ladder isn’t real (and it can’t hurt you). The real one says the orange team is playing finals (probably), though it still has a fight on its hands to make the top four thanks to a tricky draw. One more win will clinch a top-five spot, but there’ll be plenty on the line in the Round 24 battle in Ballarat. A win over the Dogs could propel them into a home qualifying final (maybe with a little help from Freo beating Port). Or they could fall all the way out of the eight if everything goes wrong...

Fox Footy’s prediction: Go 1-1, finish 5th at 15-8, host Carlton in an elimination final

Yay! We are now guaranteed to play in the finals with that close win against Fremantle- something that looked very optimistic when we were 8 wins -7 losses after our dismal defeat by Adelaide in June. We have now won a (equal) club record 7 consecutive games, and are almost certain to have our 2nd Coleman medalist with Jesse in great form.

We are currently 2nd and whilst Port and Geelong are yet to play, we look good prospects for a top 4 finish - even though we got the Bulldogs next week. Our destiny is in our own hands, and the very close nature of the competition could result in us coming 2nd (depending on %) or at worst coming 5th and hosting an elimination final.

Simple amazing and so proud of our team and the coaching staff.

What a fantastic day it has been today! First we guaranteed ourselves a spot in the finals with the Freo win, and now after the Brisbane loss we are guaranteed top 4 and the coveted double chance.

This will be at least the (equal) best ever finish we have ever had at the end of the home and away season!. In 2016 and 2017 we finished 4th, and now 2024 joins these years! And if we beat the Bulldogs, and/or depending on the matches of Geelong and Port and the relative margins, we may even end up 2nd…wow, absolutely incredible!

Of course the main battle comes after the end of the H&A rounds, but we have set a superb foundation to go all the way?

Don't know if this is the right thread but thought you might like a read if the thread takes off.

There a few of us Lions supporters with a weekend in Melbourne coming up. Talk about misplaced over confidence.

Anyone know if gws social memberships are available and if they qualify for grand final tickets 🤪.

Possible outcomes

2nd If we win and Port loses to Freo in Perth
3rd if we win and Port wins
3rd if we lose & Geelong loses against Wet Toast in Geelong
3rd if we lose & Geelong wins narrowly
4th is we lose big & Geelong wins big

Geelong has to make up 4.1% - which in a single game at the end of the season seems unlikely, they are, however, playing WC (which as the initials indicate, are in the toilet)

Most likely outcome - 3rd

Also it looks like with Geelong's loss to St Kilda it's impossible that we will face them in the qualifying final now.

By far the most likely possibility now is that we face a Houston-less Port Adelaide in the first round of finals.

Yep and port will be nervous after they lost to the giants in a home final last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possible outcomes

2nd If we win and Port loses to Freo in Perth
3rd if we win and Port wins
3rd if we lose & Geelong loses against Wet Toast in Geelong
3rd if we lose & Geelong wins narrowly
4th is we lose big & Geelong wins big

Geelong has to make up 4.1% - which in a single game at the end of the season seems unlikely, they are, however, playing WC (which as the initials indicate, are in the toilet)

Most likely outcome - 3rd
Also we have a slight advantage in that Geelong play on Saturday, whilst we only play the Bulldogs on Sunday. We will know by then (assuming an expected Geelong win in their home ground) how big that Geelong win is, and hence worst case how narrow our loss could be to finish ahead of Geelong in the ladder. Of course we will be aiming for a win against the Bulldogs, and if that eventuates we will be finishing ahead of Geelong regardless of the margin of a Geelong Saturday win.

Of course, Port also has a similar advantage as they play the last home and away game and hence will know what they need to finish ahead of us (and Geelong).

Whilst I hope we finish 2nd by winning the Bulldogs match (and finishing ahead of Port), I think it’s more likely that we finish 3rd and play Port during the 1st week of the finals?

For info as I guess we can plan for at least two finals matches, irrespective of the results next week - or even the outcomes of the final matches as we have the double chance and will host at least 1 home match (2 if we finish top 2). Seems AFL has frozen final ticket prices. Presume the club will be contacting us in the coming weeks with the details of attending the finals.

Like others, I'm thinking 2nd > 4th > 3rd.

But none of these positions would be terrible.

We can play a home prelim in Sydney by winning in week 1. Failing that, if we finish 2nd or 3rd, we can play a prelim in Sydney (albeit as the away team) if the Swans win in week 1 and we win at home in week 2.

Despite the deflating loss today against the Dogs, still happy that we have finished in the top 4 at the end of Home & Away - something that we have only ever achieved in 2016 and 2017.

I had hoped that we would come 2nd and host 2 finals, a prospect that seemed very achievable last week. I guess the glass is half full, and compared to where we were a couple of months ago, this is still an amazing and wonderful result.

We will at least host 1 home final, and we are playing the Swans who have never beaten us in any of the 3 final matches between us. Given how close we came to the GF last year in Kingsley’s inaugural year, we now have the double chance as well as a more experienced coach and team.

Who knows where we will finish? I still am optimistic that we can go all the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Where will we finish in 2024

Back