Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Magic Mike

All Australian
Nov 9, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I started a thread on the polls board a week ago in regards to the four way rivalry between the Big 4. I am not overly surprised that Carlton vs Collingwood is leading the voting by a fair way.

One thing I have noticed is that many Blues supporters are divided between Collingwood and Essendon when it comes to which club they hate the most, so I am interested to see which club Carlton supporters see as their biggest rival.

It's quite clear that both Collingwood and Essendon supporters list Carlton as their club's number 1 rival, so the outcome of this poll will be interesting.

Please just Blues supporters voting in the poll.

I don't why, over the last decade I have rated Ess as our biggest rival. I think it is stems from the fact that many of our games over the last decade have been close encounters. Before the 99 prelim most Ess supporters would have prob said Coll were their biggest rival but since then we are clearly their number 1 rival.

The Collingwood rivalry is based on tradition and the fact we have met so many times in GFs. I honestly believed the rivalry with the Pies died off a bit late 90s, 2000s, but it is fast becoming the rivalry it once was.

I honestly reckon there's more hatred between us nd the Bombers.

In my opinion -

1. Collingwood

2. Essendon

3. Richmond

No way, essendon by a street, just because of there supporters, collingwood is collingwood, you know what to expect from there supporters, it's actually quite amusing at times, but the scum that is essendon supporters are just flat out flogs, take this week for example, rather than recognize that they are playing a side that is in fantastic form atm, they mock and say we have beaten nobody and will get smashed by them, nuff said for me, oh and third would be hawthorn supporters, most arrogant pigs ever, there my 2 cents ;)

I think Essendon - purely because we have a more 'heated' rivalry in recent times i.e. we have played them in the bigger games in recent years.

When you look at the overall picture, however, it should rightfully be Collingwood. But, for me, I still go with Essendon.

No way, essendon by a street, just because of there supporters, collingwood is collingwood, you know what to expect from there supporters, it's actually quite amusing at times, but the scum that is essendon supporters are just flat out flogs, take this week for example, rather than recognize that they are playing a side that is in fantastic form atm, they mock and say we have beaten nobody and will get smashed by them, nuff said for me, oh and third would be hawthorn supporters, most arrogant pigs ever, there my 2 cents ;)

I hate them all with a passion.

Having said that, an Essendon fan has never spat at me at the football. Can't say the same about Collingwood.

There's not one redeeming feature to the Collingwood Football Club. Pure filth from top to bottom.

I hate them all with a passion.

Having said that, an Essendon fan has never spat at me at the football. Can't say the same about Collingwood.

There's not one redeeming feature to the Collingwood Football Club. Pure filth from top to bottom.

Hhmmmmmmmm point taken J

Hate them both almost equally, it changes who I hate more from season to season.

Currently Collingwood are tearing themselves apart after we towelled them so they don't need any more hatred at the moment.
Essendon on the other hand refuse to admit we are a better side/list by the length of the Flemington straight and think that it was a freak accident we flogged them the last 2 times..

Collingwood supporters are a unique breed, that's for sure. :D As far as rivalries, 1970-79-81 seem like ancient history.

Residing in Perth a few years back I never had much time for Eagles supporters, even though they form the majority of the population there.

Essendon supporters seem smugger than both groups, following a long history of success under Sheeds.

Who do I really, really hate? Hawthorn supporters. Growing up in the 80s and all... Then 2008 came around and after 17 years in the wilderness, that arrogant sense of entitlement re-emerged. Cashed up bogans, the lot of them.

I don't why, over the last decade I have rated Ess as our biggest rival. I think it is stems from the fact that many of our games over the last decade have been close encounters. Before the 99 prelim most Ess supporters would have prob said Coll were their biggest rival but since then we are clearly their number 1 rival.

The Collingwood rivalry is based on tradition and the fact we have met so many times in GFs. I honestly believed the rivalry with the Pies died off a bit late 90s, 2000s, but it is fast becoming the rivalry it once was.

I honestly reckon there's more hatred between us nd the Bombers.

This. But we have more history with the Filth, so I voted for them.

Essendon by a long long long long way..

Hate everything about them. Everytime they lose is almost as good as a Carlton win.

Beating them is one of the sweetest things in life.. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It says Carlton's rival, not who you hate the most.
History says Collingwood, dating back to the turn of last century.
However, individual hatred of both teams will definitely hit differing peaks based on form, personnel, premierships etc.
So it's Collingwood, and they still hold my most hated title atm also.

Have gone to almost all of the Carlton games against both teams in the past 20 years save for the years 2005-2008.

Have enjoyed great banter with Collingwood fans. A lot of digging, a lot of laughing and at the end of the day I've always gotten up, wished each other well and that was the end of the game.

However, with Essendon fans it has always been different. None of the sort as above. I remember going to the game we beat the Bombers convincingly in after Greg Williams had the racial dispute with the West Coast's Chris Lewis. A family of Essendon fans sitting a row behind us gave us nothing but abuse in the pregame (in those days I went to the games with only my mother). When the game started they started dishing out a nonstop verbal tirade to Diesel but the ironic thing was there one 'go-to' insult which they used every time he got the pill was to call him a 'Coconut' (white on the inside, black in the middle). This, I kid you not, the very next game after racially vilifying Lewis.

Ah, the Brainless Scum. Bummers to the bitter end.

Still, I voted Collingwood. As a deeply passionate sporting fan I simply cannot go past the history that the Carlton Vs Collingwood rivalry has going for it. Yes, the Essendon Vs Carlton rivalry has been hot over the past twenty years - most of my lifetime - but until we play them in a multitude of grand finals, of which some must take on historical significance akin to the '70 and '79 Grand Finals, then the rivalry with Collingwood inevitably carries greater significance and truly is the greatest rivalry in the AFL which would shit Essendon fans to no end. :thumbsu:

Definitely the Scum.
We have beaten the Filth in the last 5 Grand Finals that we have played them.

Meanwhile, the Scum cheated us in 1993. To put this in perspective, it should be 17 v 15, not 16 all. :mad:

My entire family bar myself are Carlton fans so I can concur with the rivalry folks! :)

On the note of spitting though - who the hell spits at someone else at a footy game? What in the name are these people doing at our wonderful game. Banter is banter and can be fun (that's what supporting a club is all about) but why spit? Disgusting.

Most hated: Essendon
Biggest rival: Collingwood

Simply put. What we have with Collingwood is a respectable rivalry built on history, performances and Grand Finals. They are respectable but it's awesome to beat them

Essendon I don't respect, don't deserve having 16 flags and have the most deluded fans. They had/have players I've always hated and enjoy watching them lose more than Collingwood.

#1 Collingwood. They represent the polar opposite of Carlton i.e. unsuccessful (2 flags in 52 years!!), shocking culture, feral demographic, and a history of plodder list quality trying to punch above their weight. They tend to implode when put under any scrutiny e.g. like now.

#2 Essendon. They're a bit of an irrelevancy nowadays. I guess in the past when they were more competitive the rivalry was bigger. Now it's a one-way thing i.e way more important to Essendon supporters.

Richmond?? Have been a total basket case for around 33 years, so it's impossible to be a rival of that mess. Another one-way rivalry i.e. way more important to Richmond supporters

:)

Essendon by a mile!

We played Collingwood in 6 grand finals and the last time they beat us was 1910. Grand final record 5-1 our way
Our finals record against them is 14-8 our way
Winning our last 5 grand finals against them isn't so bad.
Its more Collingwood supporters hating us so much that it is one of the biggest rivalries.

We played Essendon in 6 grand finals and the last time they beat us was the last time we played against them in a grand final :mad:
Grand final record 3-3.
Our finals record is 10-10. :mad:
They piss me off so much!

If Collingwood beat us in a grand final, we are still 5-2 against them which is alright. If we lose to Essendon though, we will be 3-4 and we will never hear them stop. Carlton vs Collingwood is a huge rivalry, but it is nothing compared to our rivalry against Essendon IMO.

Essendon beat us in more grand finals and finals as well than Collingwood. Same premierships. Same or similar grand final appearances. Same or similar minor premierships as us. They have caused us more heartache than any other team and this is why I hate them the most, not to mention their supporters.

Every goal against them is sweet. I am going to love the game this Satudray. Hopefully a 100+ margin.

Historically it is Collingwood and it always will be.

The Essendon rivalry is definitely more heated at the moment due to more recent events, and of course the fact that they dare to sit equal in terms of premierships won.

Richmond are really the club that's caused us the most trouble in big games and if they rise again that rivalry will be nuclear.

So...

Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond

It's funny that all three of them rate Carlton as their biggest rival by a long, long way.

I think you're all pretty spot on guys.

Traditional rivals would be Collingwood.

I can tolerate Collingwood. I can watch their games without feeling sick. Pretty impressing last few years and deserved a flag.

I now come to those red and black pricks!!! Nothing but hate for these guys. I feel ill when watching them play. Their fans are pretty chirpy when they have a handy lead, but you wont hear them if scores are level.

I look forward to walking to Essendon station on Sat. Love the looks on their faces at that place when we play them. Pure disgust towards the navy blue jumper :D

Richie

Remove this Banner Ad

Which club is Carlton's biggest rival?

Back