Which club with a long premierhip drought be next to win a flag ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest the SLF can't comprehend what is written above. A delusional man.

Mate, tell us again about how Morton is better than Ziebell?

The delusion of Melbourne fans believing they could simply tank then pick up some high draft picks and HEY PRESTO! be successful is legendary.

It is going to be a long and grim year for you.

Our season was a failure in many ways, no doubt, but i'm a little surprised at all the self-congratulations by Richmond and North supporters in this thread. All three teams finished outside the eight and all need to show a hell of a lot more to be able to compete with the big boys of the comp.

We both improved very steadily over the season. Melbourne went backwards in every way.

We had a dog draw but only just missed the finals after a number of very close losses. We improved against the bottom half of the top four, running them close ... albeit we got umped by the Grand Finalists.

We saw two of our young players get AA noms. We saw Ziebell finally fit again get 41 touches.

We didn't have to sack our coach. We didn't lose our cornerstone young mid because of an unprofessional culture.

If I were a Melbourne supporter, I'd be cancelling my BigFooty account over summer and coming back next year if you jag a few early wins.

It's funny, North Melbourne, Richmond, West Coast and Funaki supporters are all pointing the finger at each other claiming they will be the new superpower of the competition.

Whilst Melbourne sit alone in the corner of the room, yelling out to all the big kids for attention.

It's funny that you think you are a superior side to Melbourne.

We appear to have entered some sort of bizarro world where last season didn't happen and Melbourne fans are still full of bluster and bravado about their great young side.

It's not top end talent (4-6 players) that determines who wins flags, it's who has the best 30 players.

I'd much rather a good spread of talent across the board, sprinkled with some elite talent of course, that 4 'elite' players, 4 'B' grade players, 8 'C'' grade players, 10 guys who wouldn't get a game at most other clubs and some developing kids. That will be the Tigers main downfall imo. They had to clean out too much too quickly and will really have to develop well over the next 4-5 years to ensure they have enough players to cover for injuries and form lapses. And let's face it, their development has not been a shining light over the last decade. Much the same can be said for Melbourne when it comes to development.

Both clubs have newish footy department at the helm so it will be interesting to see how they go in this area.

Can this thread not turn into a North v Rich v Demon debate, there are other teams more than capable of winning a flag in the coming years that have had a "drought".

I reckon Carlton have the quality to win a flag in next few years. Fremantle, with a better run of injuries, will also be well placed to contest. That said, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Geelong, and West Coast will not be going anywhere fast.

Since when is 16 years a drought? There are 17 teams in the comp.

And that second list of teams has won every flag sice 07.

This thread is a Saints vs Dogs vs Dees vs Tigers (maybe vs Dockers) thread. Since most have written off the Dogs and the Saints (mostly) it is pretty much another Richmond vs Melbourne thread. Not sure how North got involved.

It's funny that you think you are a superior side to Melbourne.

Are you saying Melbourne are superior? Or are they about even?

We both improved very steadily over the season. Melbourne went backwards in every way.

We had a dog draw but only just missed the finals after a number of very close losses. We improved against the bottom half of the top four, running them close ... albeit we got umped by the Grand Finalists.

We saw two of our young players get AA noms. We saw Ziebell finally fit again get 41 touches.

We didn't have to sack our coach. We didn't lose our cornerstone young mid because of an unprofessional culture.

If I were a Melbourne supporter, I'd be cancelling my BigFooty account over summer and coming back next year if you jag a few early wins.

I've already stated that I believe our season was a failure (but thanks for the little rant anyway). We finished on 8.5 wins last year, and ended up with the same this year. Given i consider Melbourne a team that should be improving, its a big fail in my book.

Your team finished with 11 wins last year, and 10 this year. You can use AA nominations, and improved performances against certain clubs all you like to help justify that fact if you want. I guess some supporters set the bar a little higher than others.

God, listen to Daw and you'd think MFC were on the brink of folding due to all their rubbish talent and North on the cusp of back to back flags.

Based on the win/loss column, all three sides are in a similar position. Yeah, Melbourne had the 2nd-worst loss in history followed up by another couple of rubbish ones. Guess what? We played in a 4 week period Hawthorn, Geelong @ Skilled, Carlton and West Coast. Noone expected to take a win from that. Using that sort of run to criticise the club is rubbish.

Yeah, we can't beat North right now. Guess what? That game in 2011 we had two players go down in the first quarter coupled with an already-extensive injury list. We were playing Michael Newton of all people in the ruck! North have had the wood over us in recent times, and hopefully we can change that soon, but sometimes that happens. That's football.

We also have key players that are a couple of years behind North. You keep going on about Swallow? He's 24 and was drafted in 2006. Ziebell against Watts? Watts is a key forward, not a mid. Bastinac didn't play this season, and while has shown signs, so have Melbourne players drafted in 2009.

The Melbourne list is dangerous but was always going to take time to get right as we get games into players. We're getting them into them, but the only way to do so is to keep playing them, and it takes time. Swallow has only really started getting AFL-wide plaudits the last 2 years. Yet you're tarring players who have been in the system 3-4 years less with the same brush.

And for you to continue to write off Chip Frawley is a joke. He's sensational, was injured at the start of the year but came seriously good in the second half.

What site do you get these stats from?

AFAIK they're not available on the web, at least not in that form. They came from my database.

Facts: Richmond and Melbourne had the same amount of wins, Richmond finished above Melbourne by a very small amount of %. Richmond were deemed to have a great year, Melbourne a terrible one. Melbourne beat Richmond when it mattered (top 8 spot on the line).

Don't know any Richmond supporters who thought we had a "great" year. Our development remained on track, is all, with a few players jumping out of the ground and others disappointing. The perception of Melbourne suffered from the Geelong debacle and the off-field chaos which followed. FWIW I reckon they have as much potential to go places as Richmond. It all depends on whether it can be harnessed and focused...

I've already stated that I believe our season was a failure (but thanks for the little rant anyway). We finished on 8.5 wins last year, and ended up with the same this year. Given i consider Melbourne a team that should be improving, its a big fail in my book.

Your team finished with 11 wins last year, and 10 this year. You can use AA nominations, and improved performances against certain clubs all you like to help justify that fact if you want. I guess some supporters set the bar a little higher than others.

2010 we won a few close ones we shouldn't really have. 2011 we lost more. We certainly improved last year on the year before and are in a very good position to keep improving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread would be better served with a poll.

Aside from that, a bump in (hopefully) in a few years time will be well worth it to.

Hopefully I can remember to bump this should MFC get there first!

Since when is 16 years a drought? There are 17 teams in the comp.

And that second list of teams has won every flag sice 07.

This thread is a Saints vs Dogs vs Dees vs Tigers (maybe vs Dockers) thread. Since most have written off the Dogs and the Saints (mostly) it is pretty much another Richmond vs Melbourne thread. Not sure how North got involved.

A fair point, I was just sharing my thoughts related to the next few years, irrespective of whether the team had gone through a draught. Granted, I accept your point that only a few teams have had a sustained period without the ultimate success.

What does this thread have to do with North? Once again as soon as someone starts talking about other clubs and potential for the future that annoying little ranga kid in the corner pops up trying to get all the attention. If they were my supporters I would be embarrassed hearing them constantly whinge that they don't get enough press, especially when they ring up radio stations to complain and moan.

This thread is about the enxt side to break the premiership drought. The sides in a drought are Melbourne, Richmond, St. Kilda, Footscray and you can probably include Freo due to their not having won one. No-one gives a stuff about North.

Did I miss something?
I thought the thread was about the 4 clubs with over 30 year droughts and Freo?

We also have key players that are a couple of years behind North. You keep going on about Swallow? He's 24 and was drafted in 2006. Ziebell against Watts? Watts is a key forward, not a mid. Bastinac didn't play this season, and while has shown signs, so have Melbourne players drafted in 2009.

Actually, he played every game from Round 12 onwards.

Clearly a student of the game.

Not enough top shelf talent? According to whom?

We were the youngest side behind GC in '11, remember that. Richmonds 2011 was the same as our 2010 for me

I was thinking the same thing, but I hope to hell we dont have the same 2012 as your 2011, really though both Richmond and Melbourne should be at least nudging the finals by the end of next year, the last thing either club needs is to have to start another rebuild.

I was actually just thinking the same thing.

I think it comes down to their inferiority complex. They're born with it.

Probably more of a reaction to some knee jerk shit posting.

On topic, I'd say Carlton and Fremantle would be best placed to break a longish run without success. North and Richmond to head a "best of the rest".

No-one is pretending last season didn't happen. We underachieved last season and have to go into next season with a new FD who needs to change the culture at the club. We need more out of our senior players (Green, Davey, Sylvia etc) and need some consistency in our kids. We also need to plug some holes in our list. We know that and are not shirking from the issue. That doesn't mean we have written ourselves off for a chance at a flag in the next 10 years. :rolleyes:

Actually it was you mouthing off and trolling and acting like a spoilt baby who can't accept the toys have been put away because you won't share.

Weird, to me it seemed like your inferiority complex came into play when you saw Melbourne, Richmond and premiership mentioned.

Always have to drag your poor little club into threads where they aren't relevant. Stick to the North board SLF. :thumbsu:

If you read back, it was actually a Melbourne poster - whelan=legend - who started laying into North after he spay the dummy because a North supporter, entirely on topic, suggested Richmond were ahead of the Dees.

You're big on history revision aren't you.

First person to mention North in this thread - SLF.

Three different posts about North before I even posted in here.
Teams with windows:

Next two or three years: Hawthorn, Geelong, Carlton, Collingwood, Freo (unlikely, sadly)

Three to five years: (in order of likelihood of winning flag/s) North, Richmond, West Coast, Brisbane, Melbourne, Essendon, Sydney

Five years and counting: GC, GWS, Port, Adelaide,

Seven years: Dogs, Saints

We've seen with Geelong and Collingwood what is key to winning a flag is having a big population bulge of talented players who come through at the same time under the same coach.

Come 2014 the Cotchin/Martin crew will be entering peak age/form as will the Ziebell/Bastinac lot.

I put North ahead of the Tiges and everyone else because we already have one of the decisive things for a flag tilt: a genuine top notch ruck where the others don't.

But by the terms of reference of the thread, it is the Tiges for mine.
You miss the biut where I said the same coach. The Bailey sacking and Scully departure has set the Melbourne project back two years minimum and perhaps thrown it off course for a falg I reckon.

Neither of these are "drought" teams. Anyway, I put Richmond and North first because I believe we have far better young large midfield groups coming through than those two.

Don't crack the sads because I'm not drinking the Melbourne kool aid.

Reality is last season was disastrous for you and it will take Neeld and Craig a minimum of one season to arrest the decline before you can seriously improve again.

At the same time, North and Richmond are hitting the time when players and teams improve a great deal - the 50/80 game period for key youngsters.

North and Richmond went past you last season. By some distance too.

Richmond are two years into building a good culture. Melbourne saw there's keel over and die last season and are starting from scratch.

North have managed to maintain continuity with the ways of a winning culture from the 90s. Not saying that means we WILL win flags, but it certainly helps.

Then another post outflowed from your delusional brain about North's "successful culture". That is when I duly replied to try and right you of your obvious wrongs.

I guess I should've learnt my lesson a few years ago, there is no talking sense into the most delusional poster on the site.

Try leave your North inferiority complex out next time bro.

Firstly, typical SLF rant. Knee jerk reactions and heavy bias with only telling half of the story.

Facts: Richmond and Melbourne had the same amount of wins, Richmond finished above Melbourne by a very small amount of %. Richmond were deemed to have a great year, Melbourne a terrible one. Melbourne beat Richmond when it mattered (top 8 spot on the line).

Yes, we imploded heavily towards the end of the season. Poor game plan which crumbled against the better sides. In 2010 in 2 games against the premiers we drew and had a 1 point loss. We didn't have a loss over 10 goals all season. Who knows what game plain Bailey implemented throughout the pre season last year, but it was pathetic and left us a long way behind the 8 ball. The talent is there, and with this coaching staff at the helm I am confident we will be much better than last year.

I also will not be surprised to see Richmond completely stagnate next year. It's part of development when you're not carried by senior players.

North Melbourne's culture is not what you think it is. You spin so much lies in your own mind that I actually think you believe what you are saying.

LOL. You began rebuilding a very long time ago, at least from the 2005 draft. Just because your first rebuild(s) failed doesn't mean you can just pick another random year :eek:

I agree with some of your comments, but Richmond did not start a rebuild in 2005 if this was true then you could claim that every team is rebuilding at the start of every draft, our rebuild started with the clean out instigated by DH at the end of 09, this was an almost total rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which club with a long premierhip drought be next to win a flag ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back