Which team is "Austrlia's Team?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood has the most 'brand recognition' of any club, so if you were making comparisons to NFL then Dallas/Collingwood wouldn't be too far off the mark.

It's really hard to make comparisons though, because every AFL club is run like Green Bay is, with people buying memberships and holding a stake in the club.

Think of it this way:

If the east coast solely played gridiron, while the west coast played an entirely different sport, say baseball...then Collingwood would be "Australia's" team. Two massive states that generally don't care about Collingwood or the sport. So that makes it hard for Collingwood to be Australias team. Its the big fish for anyone that cares about the sport.

Other than that, national teams are obviously included: Socceroos, Wallabies and Aus Cricket team

Re: Which team is "Australia's Team?"

Australian cricket team is Australia's team.

Yeah bretigan, if you're going to be a part-time Aussie now you better start getting your head around Cricket too.

Hi,

I am an American, and right now, it is Football season. In America, the Green Bay Packers are called America's team. Yes, some will argue that the lowly Dallas Cowboys are America's team, but the Packers have been around since the beginning, and they have a TON of titles, that is why the Packers are also called Title Town.

But, now since I am trying to follow this sport of yours, which team represents Australia? Who is Australia's team?

Bret

Collingwood is the most despised club in the land ...with it's supporter base consisting of mostly trailer trash types .
Carlton and Essendon are bigger and much more successful clubs .

Carlton would go close to matching the Cowboys in the eyes of most opposition supporters, I would think. Arrogance, reviled even when down and out in the cellar for years, born to rule mentality, chequebook recruiting .... although stereotypically Dallas fans might be considered rednecks while Collingwood are thought to have a large bogan contingent and they certainly have the marketing machine hard at work. Tough call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi,

I am an American, and right now, it is Football season. In America, the Green Bay Packers are called America's team. Yes, some will argue that the lowly Dallas Cowboys are America's team, but the Packers have been around since the beginning, and they have a TON of titles, that is why the Packers are also called Title Town.

But, now since I am trying to follow this sport of yours, which team represents Australia? Who is Australia's team?

Bret
Hawthorn are Australia's equivalent of the Green Bay Packers.

its very to say we have such rich history but i would guess the Melbourne Demons. The original club

Carlton would be closer to the New England Patriots than the Cowboys b/c both clubs have been convicted of cheating by both leagues & no neutral club respects them b/c of their under-handed natures.
If you believe that a few years cancels out nearly 150 years of history I guess.

Most teams have done things they shouldn't have done over the journey.

If you believe that a few years cancels out nearly 150 years of history I guess.

It's fair to say that at Carlton, it's not just a few years. In 1910 Carlton had 3 players suspended by the VFL for throwing matches, it is part of Carlton's fabric & history. The fact remains, Carlton is the least respected club in the AFL b/c of their tainted history, just like the Patriots are in the US.

The Cowboys are America's most famous team & the NFL's biggest brand. Just like Collingwood are in the AFL, but b/c of our "interesting" supporter base, we resemble the Oakland Raiders more.

It's fair to say that at Carlton, it's not just a few years. In 1910 Carlton had 3 players suspended by the VFL for throwing matches, it is part of Carlton's fabric & history.

John Wren? Glass houses?

Truth is that 3 players were suspended by CARLTON themselves as we were internally investigating our own club. Hardly a case of a corrupt club. More like a couple of bad eggs in a club hell bent on doing the right thing.

One of those suspensions was overturned and one player admitted to taking a bribe, but of never giving less than 100% on the field. The person doing the bribing was outed as a leading South Melbourne identity, who then went to court to have his name suppressed.

We might have had a couple of corruptable players in our side, but as an entity, the club were extremely honourable in this instance.

Our president is a Lions fan.

I think Robbie Williams is also a big fan so I think that pretty much wraps it up. I dont think he knew who Collingwood or Carlton was or if he did he didnt say anything.

I think for the sake of argument we say Lions.

Hawthorn are Australia's equivalent of the Green Bay Packers.

hahahaha, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Our president is a Lions fan.

I think Robbie Williams is also a big fan so I think that pretty much wraps it up. I dont think he knew who Collingwood or Carlton was or if he did he didnt say anything.

I think for the sake of argument we say Lions.

...How about for the sake of argument you're a douche?

Carlton.

Opposition supporters accuse us of being a criminal club.

Therefore given that Australias foundations are derived from Convicts ... it makes sense.

Collingwood are supported by about 10% of the population and despised by the other 90%. They are sub-human filth and barracking for them is like barracking for the Poms in the cricket.

I'd nominate Essendon, with Adelaide and West Coast the next 2.

All three clubs are successful, popular and barely anyone hates them (except Freo, Port and Carlton). Plus Essendon have a large supporter base in every state. Carlton and Collingwood are far too despised to be Australia's team.

The Tom Brady Patriots are now "America's Team"

The Dallas Cowboys (& Green Bay Packers) just wish they were.

ODN's comparison between Dallas and Carlton is a good one. Very old and very wealthy private owners that struggle to remember player names, a team that overpays and overhypes their players, a history of players and drugs, around a decade since they last won a post season game . . . the similarities are uncanny.

More importantly for me, both have been the Saints whipping boys for most of the past decade. :thumbsu:

Socceroos and Everton Tim Himalaya and Alistair C'luck'son has provided me with eggcellent memories of Austrlia's scrambled version of a team.

If only it would be real. But we have our own Budcoughgie and Campbell Brown chook squawking.

Sorry, I must have food on the brain at this time of night. :eek:

and nothing even related to cheese heads. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team is "Austrlia's Team?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back