Which teams stand between us and back-to-back flags?

Remove this Banner Ad

The main thing that stands between the Cats and another flag is captured perfectly in the essence of this thread: contempt.

And I don't mean that in a bad way.

The players have been asked incessantly this year about their motivation. But it is slightly the wrong question. The actual issue (which is a small but important difference) is complacency.

The Cats have waltzed into the top two three years running and we all know that familiarity breeds contempt. It's been true for 100,000 years and it will be for another 100,000 years. Even though the players may find motivation on a day to day basis from their positive working environment, there must be a part of their collective consciousness that treats this 22-round preamble (that we call the home-and-away season) with a tiny, perhaps imperceptible, amount of contempt.

I don't mean that in bad way. They are humans the same as you and I. This thread, for example, focuses on the last week in September, does it not? It's May.

You can bet that the players in teams that are starved of success such as Footscray, St Kilda and Melbourne are focussed intently on the here and now, and are willing do whatever it takes to get the ultimate prize.

The bottom line is that Geelong players are paid well to overcome complacency and I have faith that Ling and the team know what to do.

excellent post :thumbsu:

Re: What teams stand between us and back-to-back

Twice actually, when we thrashed them by 51 points at KP last year and when Carlton beat them by 10 goals at Etihad last year.

And we've just given them their biggest ever loss in the Paul Roos era :thumbsu:

I think we can cross them off the list now. Becoming more aware of Collingwood.

"Geelong at their best against Collingwood at our best, will beat us every time. Because they're better than us." Mick Malthouse - or words to that effect. I dont see much has changed.

"Geelong at their best against Collingwood at our best, will beat us every time. Because they're better than us." Mick Malthouse - or words to that effect. I dont see much has changed.
Jolley, Ball for starters. Improvement in Wellingham, Sidebottom, Tattoo man. Excellent fitness base. Natural improvement.

We have Pods, Improved Varcoe, competition for spots and great mids led by Ablett.

Their speed and form is a challenge, and they did beat Blues well, but so did Bombers.

There are 7 teams with real chance of success. Saints, Pies, Dogs, Swans, Freo, Blues, and us. Can't get Port into that mix yet, but early days. In fact, far too early to ponder this topic. Round 18 will be a more realistic time.

Jolley, Ball for starters. Improvement in Wellingham, Sidebottom, Tattoo man. Excellent fitness base. Natural improvement.

We have Pods, Improved Varcoe, competition for spots and great mids led by Ablett.

Their speed and form is a challenge, and they did beat Blues well, but so did Bombers.

There are 7 teams with real chance of success. Saints, Pies, Dogs, Swans, Freo, Blues, and us. Can't get Port into that mix yet, but early days. In fact, far too early to ponder this topic. Round 18 will be a more realistic time.

Meh, any team who loses by 95 points isn't much of a flag threat in my books.

Collingwood are looking pretty good. I never rated them with O'bree and Fraiser but now they have Jolly and Ball which is a lot stronger. To be honest I still look at their team on paper and think they are shit. I only really take Pendlebury, Swan, Jolly and Didak in our team but as a unit they seem to be red hot.

^ ^ If the coaches had the combined lists to choose from I'm pretty sure the team would comprise more than 4 Pies. I know what you're saying though - Collingwood's patches of strong form over the last few years have generally seemed to mysteriously exceed the sum of the parts.

This year however, I think there is a bit more substance to it. In addition to the arrival of Jolly and Ball, 4 or 5 players seem to have improved significantly over the summer. I would hope that second year players like Sidebottom and Beams wouldn't do much in finals though.

Maybe the pies but not so sure, theydont have any real stars that play for them imo. Carltank,and the dreaded freemantle worry me, not worried about the bulldogs, and the saints, not sure about them, they dont seem to have much depth. anyways, time will tell eh?

Collingwood are a good side with plenty of depth - even in their reserves. They are definitely our main rivals.

With a full compliment of players in form, we are still the superior team though. Ottens is still crucial, but we can cover - with further improvement from Varcoe, Pods and hopefully Hawkins, we should be able to continue to improve. We are already a better side then last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if Riewoldt is playing well in September, the Saints can threaten you. Collingwood have improved but Geelong is still at least as good as last year.

Fremantle are the dark horse this year, I actually think they match up OK against you guys and could do some damage in September, but we all know how mentally fragile they can be.

Collingwood are a good side with plenty of depth - even in their reserves. They are definitely our main rivals.

With a full compliment of players in form, we are still the superior team though. Ottens is still crucial, but we can cover - with further improvement from Varcoe, Pods and hopefully Hawkins, we should be able to continue to improve. We are already a better side then last year.

Seems a fair assessment to me.

I miss the lid...

Well said. It's amazing, I thought after all we've been through Geelong supporters would know better than to ever get cocky or arrogant about our chances again. Especially after 2008.

Apparently not. It would seem we're certainties for September, and a high finish too. So much so we can even rest every second player until August - we're that good. :rolleyes:

Afraid I don't share the mindless contempt for opposition clubs that's infested the boards this year. We're NOT the best team in the competition at the moment, we've had the awesome total of two good wins in succession (immediately preceded by an appalling loss), so I wouldn't be assuming anything just yet.

For now, Brisbane awaits us on Saturday night. I hope we take our strongest possible team up (that means NOT resting Chapman if he has a mosquito bito on his big toe) and give ourselves the best chance of winning.

Not looking any further than that.

Well said. It's amazing, I thought after all we've been through Geelong supporters would know better than to ever get cocky or arrogant about our chances again. Especially after 2008.

Apparently not. It would seem we're certainties for September, and a high finish too. So much so we can even rest every second player until August - we're that good. :rolleyes:

Afraid I don't share the mindless contempt for opposition clubs that's infested the boards this year. We're NOT the best team in the competition at the moment, we've had the awesome total of two good wins in succession (immediately preceded by an appalling loss), so I wouldn't be assuming anything just yet.

For now, Brisbane awaits us on Saturday night. I hope we take our strongest possible team up (that means NOT resting Chapman if he has a mosquito bito on his big toe) and give ourselves the best chance of winning.

With all due respect, if we don't make the finals from here I will get a sex change operation and start calling myself Christine.

We will make it and I don't think its arrogant or presumptuous to say that.

History shows it's going to take one long extended **** up (the likes of which very VERY rarely happen) for us not to get there from here.

And as for the lid....the lid can go get ****ed. You know how many times in the history of this competition we've had a side this good? NEVER! It is a once in a lifetime experience for every single one of us and let me tell you, I'm going to bloody well enjoy every moment of being on top of the pile. And if that incorporates moments of arrogance, well so be it. When our time is up and we are back with the also rans, there will be plenty of time for us all to pull our heads in then.

For now, i'm more than happy to let everyone know how ****ing good we are, and hopefully get right up their collective noses in the process. Lord knows all these other assholes do exactly the same when it's their turn to rule.

i'm happy with a bit of realism. we need to manage our year so we finish top 4 and hit the finals with our best team fully fit. from there we'll be hard to beat.

but i think the ridiculous pre-season notion from this board of resting five players every week is dead. It's good to see players being rested when there's any injury cloud though

Sorry mate, but we ARE the best team in the comp. It doesn't matter how much we may like to be politically correct and say we are not, we, at our best, are.
There is a big difference between knowing you're the best and not respecting your opposition.
We should go into every game knowing (as a number of opposition coaches have said) that our best is better than anyone elses. Hell...our worst is better than some teams' best!
Does anyone here not believe that Geelong, fully primed and fit would not destroy Carlton eg if we played them next week?
The only games this group has lost since Rd 5 2007 were.

RD 21 2007: Missing most of our MF. Almost snagged it.
RD 9 2008: Completely disinterested as a group. To their credit, Collingwood set a new benchmark in tackling pressure.
GF 2008: Beaten by a team that wanted it more and who at that time had the talent to match us. That is no longer the case by a long shot.
RD 14 2009: Missing key players and got jumped by the strongest Saints team ever seen. Still almost snagged it.
RD 15 2009: Almost sent a VFL side.
RD 19 2009: Disinterested and tired again. The game that woke us from our slumber.
This year we have learned that after the 2008 disaster and limping into the finals in 2009, we cannot maintain the level of excellence we demand physically and mentally for a pre-season, 22 H & A games and a finals series. The only way was to have an extended 3 month break for senior players over Xmas, which left us vulnerable early, hence a couple of losses, rest injured players at every opportunity. The slightest niggle should not be ignored.
Rotate the kids through to energise the group and show something different.
St Kilda and Hawthorn have suffered dramatically from having Plan A only.

My brother, with supposed inside tracks to where Pies are at, suggests Woodsmen are particularly keyed for cats game next Friday. Freo game top of table clash of course but real focus is on doing the cats at MCG...sends a message to everyone about where they will be in September. All sounds a bit flaky to me. I don't rate their midfield (guys like Thomas,Didak, L Davis and Sidebottom don't win serious contested footy) or forward targets, whereas Freo & Carlton (at least the midfield ) seem robust enough come September.

With all due respect, if we don't make the finals from here I will get a sex change operation and start calling myself Christine.

We will make it and I don't think its arrogant or presumptuous to say that.

History shows it's going to take one long extended **** up (the likes of which very VERY rarely happen) for us not to get there from here.

And as for the lid....the lid can go get ****ed. You know how many times in the history of this competition we've had a side this good? NEVER! It is a once in a lifetime experience for every single one of us and let me tell you, I'm going to bloody well enjoy every moment of being on top of the pile. And if that incorporates moments of arrogance, well so be it. When our time is up and we are back with the also rans, there will be plenty of time for us all to pull our heads in then.

For now, i'm more than happy to let everyone know how ****ing good we are, and hopefully get right up their collective noses in the process. Lord knows all these other assholes do exactly the same when it's their turn to rule.

Bang.

Partridge, you're just too bloody practical mate :p

Lord knows our run will come to an end before we want it to. I'm going to enjoy it for as long as possible. And that includes believing that we ARE the best around. If that gets up the nose of precious supporters of other teams, stiff shit. Do we even want to contemplate what the Collingwood horde will be like if they even beat us in a final, let alone the big one? They'll make us look like humbler-than-usual lepers in the arrogance stakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which teams stand between us and back-to-back flags?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back