Who are we eyeing for in the draft....

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard not to stand up and take notice of Andy Otten's form, and at the Scott Pendlebury-ish height of 191, he may well be on Hine's radar. Apparently he's been in the best 13 out of 15 games for Oakleigh, including 5 BOGs.

I really don't think we can afford to be drafting too many more of that height/style.

We've already got Pendlebury, Goldsack and Cox, and even Reed on the way is a similar player.

We need some 185cm nuggetty midfielders, not lean 191cm utilities.

I really don't think we can afford to be drafting too many more of that height/style.

We've already got Pendlebury, Goldsack and Cox, and even Reed on the way is a similar player.

Defiantely, We need a mixture of height and weight to make a strong defence/ strong attacking team.

You've probably seen more of him than I, which is nothing, but I would be reluctant to discount him just because he's two inches taller than your ideal... besides, we have more than one pick.

Yeah, but regardless of how many picks we have, he is not the type that we need, and quite frankly not the type we can afford to carry any more of in the side, so I wouldn't be drafting him with anything higher than a rookie selection for Collingwood, and seeing as I would imagine that most other clubs would definitely look closer than that at a guy of his talents, I'd basically write him off for us.

It's not about his height - I'd draft a guy who was 220cm if he was legitimately the best inside midfielder on offer - It's about his style. He's not a pure midfielder - At best he's a winger, but most likely he is more of a utility flanker, and we have enough of that type.

First Round: Midfield in order Chris Masten, Brad Ebert (both likley to be gone by our pick) then Jack Grimes, Scott Selwood and Patrick Veszpremi. I agree with VV and a few others that I love the look of Vesz. but we would be taking a risk in taking him that early especially as Grimes looks a very good player and at 187cm has a bigger frame than Vesz.
The likley first round rucks of Kreuzer (gone by our pick), McEvoy and Bellchambers are all 199cm so could be risky for AFL height rucks.

Second Round: Ruck, really like the look of Andrew Renton (202cm) [Weaver: Developing tall tap-ruckman. At club level has shunted Matt Lobbe out of the centre and claimed the number 1 ruck spot. Showing a rapid rate of improvement from week to week and should sneak ahead of Sullivan (at least) by season end. Capable of snagging a goal or two resting up forward and around the ground work is improving.]
Other options being Will Sullivan (202cm) and Dawson Simpson (207cm).

Third Round: Patrick McGinnity can do the in an under stuff but I would draft to take over our tagging duties. This is based soley on one good game, but he was very good in that game.
Other options being Daniel Brittain and Patrick Dangerfield.

Fourth Round: Another ruckman, If Sullivan, Simpson, David Martin, Rhys Clinton or Dean Putt are around then possibly pick up one of them.
Scott Meyer is an option but at 196cm is risky.

Idealy I would like to trade for a young ruckman in Meesen, Clark, etc. but it all depends upon what the other clubs want and what we are willing to offer.
I tell you what, Couch Coach, you and I are on exactly the same page with some of our preferences. Andrew Renton could very well be our guy, I reckon. This is a very crude statistical analysis, but have a look anyway...

Stats given as Renton/Opponent's #1 ruckman's stats

Renton vs. Knights (Kreuzer)
Hitouts 26/17
Kicks 7/6
Handballs 8/7
Marks 6/5
Bests - neither

Renton vs. Jets (Sullivan)
- (two games)
1st game
Hitouts 16/20
Kicks 14/6
Handballs 9/4
Marks 7/3
Bests - Renton 5th, Sullivan 6th

2nd game
Hitouts 16/13
Kicks 6/1
Handballs 9/1
Marks 4/1
Bests - Renton 2nd

He's doing remarkably well for a guy who only came into #1 ruck after the start of the season, he's 202 cms and growing, and obviously has a good presence around the ground. 14 kicks (23 possessions) in one of those games against the Jets. Listed in the best in 9 out of 15 games, and in 2007 has 94 kicks at 74.6% effectiveness, that is excellent for a big guy playing on those grounds.

Hopefully his play and his potential reflect what his stats are showing, and we pick him up! :thumbsu:

Also love the look of Chris Masten as I've pointed out, would be thrilled if he slid to us. :)

Renton looks like the guy from what you guys are saying! Let's hope we get him and he answers our prayers!! And then 3 inside mids.

A big ruck like Lade, somebody who actually has some bulk and height, not another stick tap ruckman like Fraser and Richards!
A tough inside bloke with some quicks, like Foley
A tough bigger type body type like Bartel - Hayes

Of course if Hine has some special like a Pendles lined up or a the best available mid, if it is another 191cm pendles style bloke take him anyway.......as Hine seems to be picking winners so far!

Remove this Banner Ad

Who are we eyeing for in the draft....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back