Who can beat Adelaide? [Update: I was wrong. Someone can]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With respect, and permit this post without me reading through the rest of this thread but when was the last time Collingwood played down at Kadinia Pk? Is this question a joke?

I think he's drawing attention to the fact that the Crows have lost their last 9 matches there, with the last win coming in 2003. Not sure why you'd be comparing it to a team who haven't played in Geelong since 1999.

The last 10 matches between the two teams is 8-2 Geelong's way, with Adelaide's last win being in 2013. The two matches the Crows have against us this season should say plenty about how far they've come.

This is what keeps me in check ( as much as I can) we all saw what happened last year.

Really happy with how we are playing and I hope it continues. Lets see what happens in September 1st
You're probably being a bit tongue in cheek , but tbh, I am getting sick of that North comparison. I'm not calling the Crows a lock for the premiership, but using North 2016 as an example is ridiculous. Anyone could see North's fall coming from a mile away once their draw got harder. Completely different team from the Crows 2017.

Any decent observer of AFL will know there is no way in hell this Crows team will fail that hard.

Hopefully I haven't put the jinx on us lol.

Last edited:

Anyone who plays defence - Dogs, West Coast, Geelong, Melbourne, St Kilda, Collingwood AND ---- Sydney and Hawthorn later in the season if they can pull things together.

I think people are going a bit overboard with the Crows big wins. I've compiled a list as follows with their wins and my thoughts. I expect a Richmond style downfall will happen at some point. It won't be as bad as Richmond, but they will have a wake up call belting from someone after a bunch of easy games. The second half of the season is where we will see if Adelaide is the real deal or not. They play Geelong twice, Collingwood at the MCG, Melbourne at TIO, St Kilda, Port Adelaide again, West Coast in Perth and the Dogs, Hawthorn and Sydney - although these last 3 are not in good form as we speak, all three MAY be tough games at the later dates, because the Dogs and Swans should have important players back in by then and Hawthorn (although hard to say), may be gelling better at that point. anyway here is my analysis -

GWS in Adelaide - GWS actually have a very poor road record.
Hawthorn - At the moment anyone can smash Hawthorn.
Port Adelaide - Yeah ok, this is a good win
Essendon - no good
Gold Coast - Been terrible
Richmond - no good
Brilliant analysis.

I think he's drawing attention to the fact that the Crows have lost their last 9 matches there, with the last win coming in 2003. Not sure why you'd be comparing it to a team who haven't played in Geelong since 1999.

The last 10 matches between the two teams is 8-2 Geelong's way, with Adelaide's last win being in 2013. The two matches the Crows have against us this season should say plenty about how far they've come.
Obviously but it's a bit of a thin point when his own team and many other Victorian teams aren't required to play down there.

I think this mob are set for a dynasty. They're looking unbelievable at this point in time and looking at their list, they have serious, serious young talent.

Milera, Lever, Matt Crouch, Jake Kelly, Riley Knight, McGovern, Atkins, Cameron, Brad Crouch, Rory Laird, Hampton all under the age of 24 and complementing them with Sloane, Smith, Walker, Betts, Jacobs etc. I think they're the best young list in the competition right now aside from GWS.

Our drafting has been unbelievable for a while now, we have zero top 10 picks on our list, which is absurd when you compare our position to teams like Carlton and Melbourne. We lost Davis (10), Dangerfield (10), Tippett (32) for peanuts and were banned for two drafts, they were all on around 800k. We never lured big name players, Betts was out first since Carey (He was borderline a big name at the time) and the self absorbed idiot - Derm went on about how much of a waste he was for 500 a year.

Half our team are in their early 20s
Sloane just turned 27, the best player this year thus far
Our 28+ players are replaceable bar Betts
Our entire defense is 25 or under (not counting Otten whose played fwd)

Things happen but we are in position to compete for a flag for the next 4-5 years at least.

Who remembers the Crowbots of 2006?

14-2 172.4%. Average score of 111.

Smacked by us in Rd 17 and ended up 2-4 from the last 6 dropping 30%. 5 of 6 scores under 100 in those last 6.

The Crows are playing awesome footy but they're not unbeatable. Hell, they beat GWS who are supposed to be unbeatable.

Certainly look a class above this season and they will be hard to beat.

Going on last year their weakness was probably in the middle. When they lost contested ball, teams were able to stop their run and spread and made it really difficult for them. In their 17 wins last year they averaged +8 for CP and +45 for UP, in their 7 losses they were -12 for CP and -45 for UP. Brad Crouch staying fit will be so important for their season when they come up against the best midfields.

I think Geelong will be their biggest test. Last year Geelong had the formula against them and beat them twice pretty comfortably. Geelong has a really organised defensive setup and they really struggled to score against them. If they can beat the Cats at Kardinia Park they can probably beat anyone and the confidence they'd get from that win might take them to another level.

Also think the Dogs can match up pretty well against them. Certainly in the middle the Dogs have been able to dominate possession but Adelaide showed in the 2015 final and the 2016 game that once they break the lines they can score heavily over the back. GWS is probably the other team who have enough star quality to cause them issues but I think Adelaide matches up really well against them. A lot of their strengths are weaknesses of GWS which makes it an intriguing matchup but obviously the Giants at their best can beat anyone.

Ahh i remember Adelaide in 06, i seen them stop geelong by 92 points, my first AFL game.. I was a very sad cats supporter that day. I felt the fans were really cocky and were being smart a**es after the game, I turned around and said well you beat us but you wont win the flag...And they didnt!
How are you 'Geelongsince1984' if your first AFL game was in 2006?

Who remembers the Crowbots of 2006?

14-2 172.4%. Average score of 111.

Smacked by us in Rd 17 and ended up 2-4 from the last 6 dropping 30%. 5 of 6 scores under 100 in those last 6.

The Crows are playing awesome footy but they're not unbeatable. Hell, they beat GWS who are supposed to be unbeatable.
Yeah but Cuz did coke at H/T in the prelim to drag our group of meth heads over the line, was Adelaide's game in the mean time. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're beatable. First quarter yesterday showed with manic pressure they can be beaten. The problem is keeping that up for 4 quarters not 1. Flag is race in 3 with Giants and dogs other contenders.

They're beatable. First quarter yesterday showed with manic pressure they can be beaten. The problem is keeping that up for 4 quarters not 1. Flag is race in 3 with Giants and dogs other contenders.
I agree. Play like the Tigers did in the first quarter and keep it up for four. Most teams would have to play their very best footy to do this, but it's certainly not impossible.

They haven't played anyone of note yet, GWS was the only win of note in round 1 but you can take round 1 results with a grain of salt.

They will likely finish top given they have only 5 games total vs the other top 5 sides and there is a severe drop off after that in terms of quality with the fall of hawthorn and Sydney.

I've been wanting Adelaide to win the flag for the last 2 years but they're not going to keep this brand of football up all season. They need to execute good player management and hope they get no injuries - and then be rejuvenated during their finals campaign.

The competition overall is a lot closer and Adelaide is a clear standout - but that isn't a good thing for Crows.
Why?

They haven't played anyone of note yet, GWS was the only win of note in round 1 but you can take round 1 results with a grain of salt.

They will likely finish top given they have only 5 games total vs the other top 5 sides and there is a severe drop off after that in terms of quality with the fall of hawthorn and Sydney.

There have been only six rounds.

Adelaide have played:

GWS (5-1, 2nd, 133% only loss is to Adelaide)
Richmond (5-1, 4th, only loss is to Adelaide)
Port Adelaide (4-2, 5th, 152%, only losses are to GWS and Adelaide)
Hawthorn (1-5)
Essendon (3-3)
Gold Coast (2-4)

Their opponents have, in their other matches, won 20/30 games. I doubt any other team has, to this point, had as tough a draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back