Who exactly is going to end up the best Port midfielder?

Remove this Banner Ad

outabounds

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2009
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
They have absolutely smashed Essendon tonight. Rozee, Horne- Francis and Butters.
I guess the obvious answer is Rozee but I really think Horne-Francis could be something else. Don't get me wrong, Butters is great too. Port are lucky to have all of them.
Call me an idiot but I'd take Horne -Francis .

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

They have absolutely smashed Essendon tonight. Rozee, Horne- Francis and Butters.
I guess the obvious answer is Rozee but I really think Horne-Francis could be something else. Don't get me wrong, Butters is great too. Port are lucky to have all of them.
Call me an idiot but I'd take Horne -Francis .

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Has the whiff of Brisbane early 2000s and WC mid 2000s about it.

I think JHF will be the best, has traits to be one of the best mids of all time imo. He should be the best player in the comp in 5 years time I think.
Rozee second best, but he might play other roles as I think hes dangerous anywhere he plays. Might mean he splits his time a bit mid/fwd while JHF, Butters and Drew/someone else taking big mid minutes, similar to what hes done this year so far I guess with 60-65% CBAs.
Thats just my feeling from watching Port

Rozee

Butters a little overrated. He had a block of 5 - 10 games last year where he was the best player in the comp which has made the commentators eternally sing his praises while he's not quite as good as they try to make us believe

1. Rozee
2. Butters
3. JHF

Won't be much between them and will all be multiple premiership players.

That has potential to be one of the best midfields in history - up there with Lions 2000-2004. What I saw of Rozee last night, hard to see there is a better player in the AFL at the moment. JHF is simply going to be scary and Butters is almost as good.

He wont end up the best with the other three. But I think everyone is underestimating William drew a little. Every stat of his is above average with a few elite stats in there to boot. He allows the other three to do what they do by being the tagged whilst still getting his fair share of the ball. Lingy like. Score involvements 7.8 elite, tackles 6 elite to name a few.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JHF in for Wines (inj) was a glaring upgrade on last week, I think Rozee, Butters, JHF & Drew is the best mix.

The ability of all three to find space in different ways is very special, JHF can shrug & drop tacklers and doze through, Rozee's quickstep is insane & Butters is slippery and all possess great burst speed.

If you can't get this lot to a flag or two you are a numpty coach.. unfortunately we have one

He wont end up the best with the other three. But I think everyone is underestimating William drew a little. Every stat of his is above average with a few elite stats in there to boot. He allows the other three to do what they do by being the tagged whilst still getting his fair share of the ball. Lingy like. Score involvements 7.8 elite, tackles 6 elite to name a few.
Indeed.

Important to have a more defensive minded cog like Drew in the mix whilst the others do their thing.

He's a great complement to than midfield, together with the likes of Houston and (for the short term) Wines.

JHF in for Wines (inj) was a glaring upgrade on last week, I think Rozee, Butters, JHF & Drew is the best mix.

The ability of all three to find space in different ways is very special, JHF can shrug & drop tacklers and doze through, Rozee's quickstep is insane & Butters is slippery and all possess great burst speed.

If you can't get this lot to a flag or two you are a numpty coach.. unfortunately we have one

It is a scary midfield. Not 100% sure you have the front and back ends of the ground covered but with those guys in the centre you almost don't need to.

It is a scary midfield. Not 100% sure you have the front and back ends of the ground covered but with those guys in the centre you almost don't need to.
The forward line is the issue for mine Dixon & Finlayson may get away with the ups & downs against an Essendon, but it costs you when you play the best.

A mix of Lord (inj), Georgiades, Marshall is probably the future, I think they'll all play better when Dixon is out of the picture tbh and far more mobile.

Sits very comfortably in that comparison this year.

IMG_1913.jpeg

We’re very lucky to have the 4. All hitting the scoreboard as well.
Who woulda thought a Brownlow Medallist (Wines) and a top 20 all time Brownlow vote getter (Boak) can’t make the starting Port midfield?

As for how good they can be, need to display it against the best, we’ve had a fairly comfortable run this year so far.

Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis and Drew are young and look like they could be a hell of a midfield quartet going forward, there are a few good groups around >

Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Langdon.
Pendlebury, De Goey, Daicos, Sidebottom.
Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, Ashcroft.
Walsh, Cripps, Hewitt, Cerra.
T.Green, Kelly, Coniglio, Ward.
Heeney, Gulden, Mills, Warner.

Premierships will be the measure of how good a group any of those are... so Pies and Demons in front at the moment, long way to go to match the GOAT quartet though.

1712357712579.png

Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis and Drew are young and look like they could be a hell of a midfield quartet going forward, there are a few good groups around >

Premierships will be the measure of how good a group any of those are... so Pies and Demons in front at the moment, long way to go to match the GOAT quartet though.

View attachment 1951318
That was one hell of a quartet.
I think the part that isn't said enough is that the oldest is drew at 25.
So a 25, 24,23 and a 20 yr old. The others on the list a majority of there quartets are well over 25 some in there 30's.
If you use comparisons between the port and Brisbane dream team. They didnt really hit there straps till after they where 25. These kids have a little to go to get to that age. But already showing glimpses of being as good if not better. You only have to look at all the threads today on them not started by port fans by the way. Even taken over the dacois thread. Again not by a prt supporter

View attachment 1951318
Ah yes I'm looking forward to the development of young Pendlebury and Sidebottom going forward, those kids both have a bright future

He might be the smallest, but for me Butters will be the best. He's the quickest, toughest, has elite disposal and he's the smartest.

Those comments don't detract from the other two, who all excel in the same categories, but I give Butters the edge across the board. Although Rozee kicks more goals.

They complement each other perfectly and will shortly be the premier midfield group, if they're not already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who exactly is going to end up the best Port midfielder?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back