Universal Love Who is the best player who has played for the Melbourne Football Club since and including 2000? WINNER: Max Gawn

Who has been the better player for Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Davey got to play in a better team. I like Davey but Watts played his whole career in a dog s**t team. He would have been remembered different if he played 2000-08 instead of 08-16
I second this. Watts was no doubt a disappointing number 1 pick but he kind of became the poster boy for how shit the whole club was from 07-15. I always reckon that if he had have gone to a club like Geelong he would’ve developed into an elite role player. He probably did quite well and showed a fair bit of resilience to end up having the career he did.

Tom McDonald (2011-present)
Debut: Round 23, 2011
210* games, 166* goals
  • Premiership player
  • Leading goal-kicker

James Frawley (2007-2014)
Debut: Round 9, 2007
139 games, 18 goals
  • All-Australian
James Frawley advances to the next round. Tom McDonald has been eliminated.

Round 1 - Cameron Bruce v. Shane Woewodin
Cameron Bruce (2000-2010)
Debut: Round 1, 2000
224 games, 210 goals
  • Club captain
  • Club B&F

Shane Woewodin (1997-2002)
Debut: Round 1, 1997
138 games, 63 goals
  • Brownlow Medal
  • Club B&F

EDIT (06/11/23): Results:
  • Cameron Bruce: 8 (89%)
  • Shane Woewodin: 1 (11%)

Last edited:

"Bruce, an unlikely hero... the rookie! The rookie!"
"A pair of unlikely heroes embrace - Green and Bruce."

"Still Woewodin. Still Woewodin. Woewodin from half-forward - kick a goal, son!"

Cameron Bruce (2000-2010)
Debut: Round 1, 2000
224 games, 210 goals
  • Club captain
  • Club B&F

Shane Woewodin (1997-2002)
Debut: Round 1, 1997
138 games, 63 goals
  • Brownlow Medal
  • Club B&F
Cameron Bruce advances to the next round. Shane Woewodin has been eliminated.

Round 1 - Russell Robertson v. Bayley Fritsch
Russell Robertson (1997-2009)
Debut: Round 20, 1997
228 games, 428 goals
  • Club B&F
  • 4x leading goal-kicker

Bayley Fritsch (2018-present)
Debut: Round 1, 2018
126* games, 211* goals
  • Premiership player (2nd in Norm Smith)
  • 4x leading goal-kicker

EDIT (06/11/23): Results:
  • Russell Robertson: 19 (86%)
  • Bayley Fritsch: 3 (14%)

Last edited:
It's weird, but I barely remember much at all from Woewodin's career. Outside that goal and the Brownlow I struggle to recall any moments of significance.

Bruce on the other hand - early impact in finals, 7-goal haul vs Carlton, tagging jobs on Buckley, Hird, Goodes, Judd, 8 brownlow votes in 3 games to start 2005. Just to name a few.

On a side note, how good was the 99 draft class - Green, Wheatley, Whelan, Bruce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta give it to Robbo right now, Fritsch is more dangerous on the ground, Robbo better in the air. Fritsch has the GF and even the finals in general. Robbo was just box office footy. Went the blub when McLean gave him his final goal in his retirement game.

Robbo just for mine

Cameron Bruce advances to the next round. Shane Woewodin has been eliminated.
tumblr_pcakajv9vD1qh59n0o1_540.gif

Refresh this page all weekend to see a new poll and then I log in 11:25 on Monday morning and I miss out.

Robbo, just. Another 50-goal season or two from Fritsch could swing it, but for now, Robbo had the best individual season (73 goals in '05), did it for longer and was the more exciting watch.

Don't get me wrong, love Fritta, but Robbo was box office for a good while there.

Man imagine Fritsch is early 2000s footy, instead he has to manage with dogshit ball movement. Despite that he's been damn good. I would have to go with Robbo for now, they say you just remember things more fondly from your childhood even through fritsch kicked a bag in a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Who is the best player who has played for the Melbourne Football Club since and including 2000? WINNER: Max Gawn

Back