Who is the best side in the comp on their day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem with this debate is that you need to factor in how well certain sides match up/perform against others whether it's their day or not.

As good as the Pies are, history has shown they struggle containing a Hawthorn side on it's game.

Just like the Hawks struggle against the Swans.

Just like the Swans struggle against the Pies.

Rock, paper, scissors...
Pfft. The last time we played you in a real H&A game, a game that had more riding on it than a practice match, we smacked you. The time before that... well that's so far away it's irrelevant now. Hawthorn, LOL.

That's a bit rough.

I didn't state it to offend anyone and no-one can take that 2010 flag away from you.

It's just my honest opinion.

Superior fitness + High rotations + A game plan designed to create space = the 2010 premiership.

The Swannies created a purple patch from serious lockdown tactics that bought them a flag.

i didn't state it to offend anyone and no-one can take that 2010 flag away from you.

It's just my honest opinion.

Superior fitness + high rotations + a game plan designed to create space = the 2010 premiership.

The swannies created a purple patch from serious lockdown tactics that bought them a flag.

it won them a flag not bought them one you phony bf toss

If you are taking 2010 lists, then Geelong. Problem is that they've all been run into the ground and had only one or two players performing most games. Without Ablett, probably Collingwood.

The answer is Collingwood and everyone knows the answer is Collingwood.

What they produced in the first half of the Preliminary Final I would regard as their best. And it was better than any other side could manage in 2010.

I love how people mention other teams to show how "deep" thinkers they are, almost to be deliberately controversial... almost like the thread title was an invitation to say something other than the obvious

You know, crap like:

"Oh, Hawthorn's best 6 players are aweosme so when they're on song..."

"Geelong's best is still better"

etc

Um, NO. Collingwood's best is better than everyone's. In 2010 anyway. And to suggest any other side's best was better is simply wrong.

should this thread be retitled, who are the biggest downhill skiers when the opposition don't put up any resistance? Then I nominate bulldogs.

Will apart from this year, Collinwood must have been downhill skiers because we have been creaming you sorry asse since the 2006 finals.

Some people must be pretty bored. Answer=Collingwood, thoroughly deserved the flag although St Kilda obviously a tad stiff
Scary thing is that if Collingwood stay focused and keep healthy they have plenty more improvement in them still (probably ore than any team in the league). They could win 2 or 3 flags in a row because on there day they are the best side going around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will apart from this year, Collinwood must have been downhill skiers because we have been creaming you sorry asse since the 2006 finals.

As far as i'm and the rest of Australia are concerned the only sorry arse you've been creaming since 1954 is your own.

The answer is Collingwood and everyone knows the answer is Collingwood.

What they produced in the first half of the Preliminary Final I would regard as their best. And it was better than any other side could manage in 2010.

I love how people mention other teams to show how "deep" thinkers they are, almost to be deliberately controversial... almost like the thread title was an invitation to say something other than the obvious

You know, crap like:

"Oh, Hawthorn's best 6 players are aweosme so when they're on song..."

"Geelong's best is still better"

etc

Um, NO. Collingwood's best is better than everyone's. In 2010 anyway. And to suggest any other side's best was better is simply wrong.

And I bet you have the stats to back it up. ;)

HAWKS, and by a fair way too, probably have 6 of the top 10 players in the comp.

dont you hate it when someone makes an outlandish quote but fails to back it up with details.

hodge - probably the most 'complete' player in the league. will do the job wherever he plays on the ground, but due to an average team, is relied upon to fix up problems instead of utilising his strengths.

franklin - the most 'unstoppable on his day' player in the league at present. but suffers from the same problem as hodge. in an average team he is unable to be let loose and put on a show.

the rest dont get a mention - and by a very long margin.

equals an average team.

Best on their day for season 2010, over the course of the season was Collingwood. They beat everybody who counted, when it counted. Pretty hard to argue with the winning a flag, especially the way they got there and the way they eventually won it.

probably the key to the argument, as pies folk have argued for many months. top 1-6 equal any midfield in the league. next 6 on par with most KPP around - no doubt some are better. and the next 10 - the final 10 - thats the difference. easily the best players rated 13-22 in any club. every other club simply has fillers in these spots. the pies have players there to do a job, and they deliver week in week out. if the pies lose its because something went wrong at the top 6 end (see GF1) rather than the bottom 10.

St Kilda on their day can draw with Collingwood having a bad day. There is evidence of this!!!

cmon didaics, bring with you evidence of this. show me the evidence. i really like to see the evidence. in fact everyone would.:D

Problem with this debate is that you need to factor in how well certain sides match up/perform against others whether it's their day or not.

As good as the Pies are, history has shown they struggle containing a Hawthorn side on it's game.

Just like the Hawks struggle against the Swans.

Just like the Swans struggle against the Pies.

Rock, paper, scissors...
Why do Hawthorn fans think that being a great team in 2008 means they are still one of the best teams going heading into 2011??

You dont have Crawf, Croad, Dew, Williams, Campbell, C.Brown anymore....the blokes who you have replaced them with simply are not up to it.

Hawthorn are a mediocre team.....on their day they can play good footy....much like Calrton and Sydney.

Collingwood are a good team.....on their day they are unbeatable.

hodge - probably the most 'complete' player in the league. will do the job wherever he plays on the ground, but due to an average team, is relied upon to fix up problems instead of utilising his strengths.

Goddard gives you the manacled hands salute

Why do Hawthorn fans think that being a great team in 2008 means they are still one of the best teams going heading into 2011??

You dont have Crawf, Croad, Dew, Williams, Campbell, C.Brown anymore....the blokes who you have replaced them with simply are not up to it.

Hawthorn are a mediocre team.....on their day they can play good footy....much like Calrton and Sydney.

Collingwood are a good team.....on their day they are unbeatable.

Most top 8 teams on their day are unbeatable. Arguably we beat the greatest team in a Grand Final a couple of years ago when we were rank outsiders. If we performed like we did that day, we could easily beat Collingwood. Again, it is a subjective thing. It really comes down to which team has the most talent as the team with the most talent, in a perfect storm, will all click together and run a muck.

It is assuming everyone is firing.

If Riewoldt and Kositchke are firing, in the big man department that outplays Cloke and Dawes firing. Defences are similar. Hayes, Goddard, Dal Santo and Montagna firing equals Pies midfield firing.

For me, all players firing and Saints win. That is not to say Pies are not the best team in the comp at the moment because they are.

Hawks similar. Franklin and Roughhead firing outguns every other team in the league.

How can everyone be firing? When Lenny Hayes is firing, he dominates clearances and therefore the Collingwood mids are getting thrashed - not firing. If Kositchke is firing - Ben Reid is having a shocker. Both teams can't be firing at once.

Most top 8 teams on their day are unbeatable. Arguably we beat the greatest team in a Grand Final a couple of years ago when we were rank outsiders. If we performed like we did that day, we could easily beat Collingwood. Again, it is a subjective thing. It really comes down to which team has the most talent as the team with the most talent, in a perfect storm, will all click together and run a muck.

another hawthorn flog who brings up 2008.

hawthorn hv lost 6 players from that team, ie more than one quarter of your premiership heroes are no longer wearing brown and gold....their replacements havebeen unable to replicate their output, and rwsultantly hawthorn hv been an average side since.

collingwood head into 2011 with ALL 22 premiership players plus Tarrant, Krakeour....people aint even seen thebest of this current collingwood side yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back