Who is the best side in the comp on their day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can everyone be firing? When Lenny Hayes is firing, he dominates clearances and therefore the Collingwood mids are getting thrashed - not firing. If Kositchke is firing - Ben Reid is having a shocker. Both teams can't be firing at once.

Perhaps you should watch the 05/06 grand finals. Great examples of two teams playing at their best.

A couple of the Western Bulldogs and Geelong match ups in recent years were pretty fine games too.

How can everyone be firing? When Lenny Hayes is firing, he dominates clearances and therefore the Collingwood mids are getting thrashed - not firing. If Kositchke is firing - Ben Reid is having a shocker. Both teams can't be firing at once.

Finaly, an intelligent post!

This is very true. Especially with the Pies. When they play at their best, the other team doesnt, when the other team plays at their best, the pies don't. Although there are some examples of two teams both playing at their best, it is extremely rare. Eg. The last 4-5 hawks v geelong games. They were absolutely spectacular!

TO ALL HAWKS FANS
Please stop embarasing us. Our best might be better than everyone elses best next year, but right now Collingwood and Geelong are in another league.

Why do Hawthorn fans think that being a great team in 2008 means they are still one of the best teams going heading into 2011??

You dont have Crawf, Croad, Dew, Williams, Campbell, C.Brown anymore....the blokes who you have replaced them with simply are not up to it.

Hawthorn are a mediocre team.....on their day they can play good footy....much like Calrton and Sydney.

Collingwood are a good team.....on their day they are unbeatable.

Who said this?

I'm just merely pointing out the fact that on top of teams at their best you also have teams who actually match up well or, on the flip side, struggle to contain other sides given their makeup.

Some of you Pie fans are very sensitive at the moment. Any inference of an opposition supporter who isn't bowing down to the "almighty" is met with bogan pub drivel.

Yes, you are the best side in the comp as at now, and yes the Hawks have deficiencies...doesn't mean we don't match up well on certain teams though.

That's a bit of a double standard, don't you think? Considering we kicked 22% more goals than you did this year. At least when we kicked bags of points in important games it didn't cost us a flag.

The question is, would you still do that when there are 15 other blokes around Cloke also having shots at goal, and they're 10 times as frequent as those by your own team. In fact, if we were truly firing on all 8 cylinders, the ball wouldn't leave our forward line at all. And we all know what happens to St Nick in those situations, don't we.
[YOUTUBE]ptRU1aO1bog[/YOUTUBE]

are you slow?

Purely from a tactical sense. When the pies are on song, they are unbeatable. Their game plan prevents other sides from executing their own game plan. Until a coach comes up with a way to break down the full ground press, I can't see them being beaten.

Oh the "full ground press" the Pies ripped off the Saints of 09 who ripped it off the Hawks of 08?

Yes, we've seen how bullet proof game plan advantage can be from 1 year to the next......I think the Pies "press" will be pulled apart this year....

Pies for me in 2010. Their best was simply phenomenal.

But probably Geelong on song over the recent period. Just the way it all seemed to click was amazing to watch.

I agree with this.:thumbsu:

Hawthorn by some margin !!
Theiir best 10 are better than anybody else's best 10 !
But you need 22 players to win a game of football, last time I checked anyway, and Hawthorn's last 5 are weaker then any of the teams who made the 8 last year, and probably 2-3 sides outside the 8.

At the end of 2010, I would have still rated Geelongs' best 22 better then ours, but with the loss of Ablett and Thompson, and with the pies picking up 2 ready made players in Tarrant and Krakouer, and with natural development from within the list, the Pies win out for me.

StKilda has the most effective gameplan to get the most out of a less then stellar 22 players, while Hawthorn and the Dogs have the most "explosive" ability, but that rarely wins you Grand Finals.

Fremantle are the "smoky" here IMO for 2011, they have more potential internal improvement then any other "contender" in 2011, but potential and performance don't always go together.

Honestly, I think 2011 may be one of the closest seasons in AFL history, with 2-3 games separating the top 4-6 teams at the end of the home and away season.

Then the question becomes;

WHO IS THE BEST FINALS SIDE GOING INTO 2011?:confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

to be fair, i doubt there are any hawthorn supporters who think we are a best team on our day in the comp.
or that we have 3,6 or 10 of the best players in the comp.

this all steam rolled from a joke by a hawthorn supporter saying we have 6 of the 10 best players.

Collingwood are clearly the best on there day at the moment, but footy changes fast and the gap bettween them and lets say St.Kilda, Gellong, Western Bulldogs, Fremantle and Hawthorn isnt overly great.

Hawthorn are a mediocre team.....on their day they can play good footy....much like Calrton and Sydney.

Collingwood are a good team.....on their day they are unbeatable.
Anyone would think Collingwood went through the year undefeated and only needed one Grand Final to take home the cup, if your thoughts were to be taken as gospel.

If Hawthorn are such a mediocre team, we'd not have made a run at the Top 4 after such a poor start to the season.

Anyone would think Collingwood went through the year undefeated and only needed one Grand Final to take home the cup, if your thoughts were to be taken as gospel.

If Hawthorn are such a mediocre team, we'd not have made a run at the Top 4 after such a poor start to the season.

If hawthorn wernt a mediocre team they woudve smashed an injury crippled freo in their final. ;)

It's an interesting question.
Pies are best team in the comp at the moment.

But on their day...all things clicking...I think Saints and Hawks with Riewoldt, Kositchke, Franklin and Roughhead respectively firing would beat them.

St Kilda had their day in GF1 and to be frank their best wasn't good enough, and everyone saw what happened the next week when they clearly weren't at their best..

and massive lol at any chance of Kositchke firing

hawthorn were in a position to challenge the dogs for a spot in the top4 but their mediocrity shone through as they lost to port and then sydney.

they fell into the finale and were exposed by a free falling freo.

yet their supporters still actually think they are a legit contender?

Hawks by a mile. If buddy and roughnut get there shit together and the midfield fires they are unstoppable. Thank god they have a headcase as a coach.

Hawks by a mile. If buddy and roughnut get there shit together and the midfield fires they are unstoppable. Thank god they have a headcase as a coach.

Could be much much worse.

We could have Ratten. :eek:.............instead of a Premiership coach.

But I agree with you, the Hawks on their best day are miles in front.

The arrogance from Hawthorn supporters is cringe worthy.
They won a premiership 2 years ago and have been mediocre since. The inability to grasp the idea they're nothing special is facepalm worthy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hawks by a mile. If buddy and roughnut get there shit together and the midfield fires they are unstoppable.

How about we hand some facepalms out to some neutrals as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back