who is the best young gun... Daicos, Green, Gulden, Rowell or Walsh?

Remove this Banner Ad

He is becoming consistent I agree but he is above average at best in every statistical department.
Needs to be elite somewhere.

The other one is clearly Sheezel.

In fact his stats are quite comparable to Gulden and Naicos over the last 2 months.

He gets less of the ball but is spending less time in the middle than Daicos, he's kicking more goals than both and creating more goal assists than even Gulden with less of the ball.

I would rather the player that can do both.
Daicos gets twice as many clearances as Gulden, so without Errol having someone to pass it to him when he is free and in space, he would have it far less.
If Nick was to play that free running wingman, with no-one on him and gets the ball in space, with his sublime kicking skills, he would tear the game apart.
Even more than he does now.
Hence why he gets tagged each week. Errol doesn't get tagged, so he can do what he pleases. He is lucky, his team has other players that teams are more concerned about.

Gulden averages around 120m gained more than Daicos despite having fewer disposals per game.

Any side would be happy to have either one of them, it is impossible to compare them. I love Gulden, and happy he's with us, doesn't make Daicos, etc any less good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos is clearly the best of the bunch but after him it's a good discussion.

Rowell has essentially turned into an inside competitive mid. Does he get enough of the footy compared to the rest of these blokes though? I'd personally have Green in front of him for the higher disposal numbers.

Daicos > Gulden > Green > Rowell > Walsh if you ask me.

Gee its a good group plus the others you could add.

One way to think of it is if you expanded the question to say who of the group would be under real consideration to be the best gun in the comp. Then its only Daicos and Gulden with Walsh you never know without the injuries.

Daicos is the one who has best claims to best in the comp currently. He is also the most inexperienced of the group. Last year before missing the last games with injury he was clearly in front in both the coaches and Brownlow and if he didnt get injured he probably wins both. As it was he placed despite less games than those ahead of him. 3rd in the Normie after a rushed comeback from a cracked tibia.

This year 2nd in the coaches award, with a bullet, and equal Brownlow favorite. He has 2 completed seasons which are streets ahead of anything the other 4 did in their 1st 2 seasons.

As good as they are no modern player has started a career anywhere near as well as Daicos.

Even using champion data which seems to have rated some average games from Sheezel pretty highly I’m pretty sure this is wrong and Daicos’ first 6 games of 2023 rate higher than Sheezel’s last 6.

Average for Daicos 18.3 vs Sheezel 18 by a quick calculation.

Sheezel’s last four seem stronger though so it wouldn’t surprise me if he does get it or even overtake the Bont at some point

Even using champion data which seems to have rated some average games from Sheezel pretty highly I’m pretty sure this is wrong and Daicos’ first 6 games of 2023 rate higher than Sheezel’s last 6.

Average for Daicos 18.3 vs Sheezel 18 by a quick calculation.

Sheezel’s last four seem stronger though so it wouldn’t surprise me if he does get it or even overtake the Bont at some point

AFL ratings is not exactly the same as their data model. I’m not exactly sure where their cut off for ages is either. Remembering Daicos is a new year Birthday, so was 19 for all of his first season and 20 for all of his second season. He’s like 9 months older than Sheezel in comparative times within their seasons.

Hoyne spent 4-5 minutes on him and said he’s now the #5 ranked player in the comp.

Said after 38 games he and Daicos’ ratings, contested possessions, meters gained, score involvements are all virtually identical.

Cited the media and footy public are criminally underrating him in comparison and that’s when considering he thinks Daicos could end up the second best player of the modern era behind Albert Jnr.

Last edited:
How is Sam Walsh even in the conversation as a ‘young gun’? He turns 24 next week.

Gee its a good group plus the others you could add.

One way to think of it is if you expanded the question to say who of the group would be under real consideration to be the best gun in the comp. Then its only Daicos and Gulden with Walsh you never know without the injuries.

Daicos is the one who has best claims to best in the comp currently. He is also the most inexperienced of the group. Last year before missing the last games with injury he was clearly in front in both the coaches and Brownlow and if he didnt get injured he probably wins both. As it was he placed despite less games than those ahead of him. 3rd in the Normie after a rushed comeback from a cracked tibia.

This year 2nd in the coaches award, with a bullet, and equal Brownlow favorite. He has 2 completed seasons which are streets ahead of anything the other 4 did in their 1st 2 seasons.

As good as they are no modern player has started a career anywhere near as well as Daicos.
Perfect summation, pretty much enough said :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back