Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
Wonder how well Hird interviewed?

What does the board actually want?
The board? Probably Hird.
This board? The vast majority definitely DON'T want him

How many pages did you actually read?

We're all entirely rusted on Essendon fans. Even those of us who are not enamoured with Hird as Senior Coach in 2023 generally speaking base our opinions on something other than whatever did or didn't happen 5-10 years ago. It's entirely irrelevant.

I think I've seen one post in the last few pages that even goes in that direction and even that person said he was only in part to blame, not "majority".

Besides any of that, as Doss mentioned, we'd really rather not open the can of worms on who had more blame when and how etc. There's a reason why our ASADA threads are in the history board - they're just that, history.
I read a lot of these pages, maybe not all but most.

Good plan, let's get the dream team back together and heal this club.

We should host a hands across windy hill event. All the past players line up, link arms and sing kumbaya until every Essendon member has donated to the flight plan. That's when we will be healed.

Something I haven’t seen mentioned in regards to Hird’s lack of recent experience is that when would have been the earliest a club would have agreed to have James on their coaching panel?

I’d need to refresh myself on the timelines but I don’t think he could have had an assistant job until the last couple of years. Then covid and the soft cap restrictions hit.

Unless you believe in the conspiracies, Hird doesn’t choose when the Essendon senior coaching position will become available, so I don’t blame him for wanting to apply for it without a lot of recent experience.

If he’s unsuccessful and serious about coaching, he has zero excuse but to apply for assistant positions from here on in however.

Something I haven’t seen mentioned in regards to Hird’s lack of recent experience is that when would have been the earliest a club would have agreed to have James on their coaching panel?

I’d need to refresh myself on the timelines but I don’t think he could have had an assistant job until the last couple of years. Then covid and the soft cap restrictions hit.

Unless you believe in the conspiracies, Hird doesn’t choose when the Essendon senior coaching position will become available, so I don’t blame him for wanting to apply for it without a lot of recent experience.

If he’s unsuccessful and serious about coaching, he has zero excuse but to apply for assistant positions from here on in however.

That's right, had forgotten about that. So this was a part time analyst role he was a candidate for about a year after his overdose?

Do you know if he was offered the position as the preferred candidate?
I don't think he got it, I'm not sure if he said no or if they chose someone else. But he was being actively considered such that Freo went to the AFL to make sure it was okay, which it was.

Everyone involved is covered by NDAs, so we only know what Tom Browne thinks he knows.
How many candidates would you guess they are going to interview? Normally they would be in pretty quick succession you'd think with another block soon - assuming there's another block coming.

Unless these represent the ones doing the whole process and all the experienced coaches join in next round? You would expect they would have attracted a few more experienced / senior coaches given that's a clear mandate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you have the ability to see unapproved posts? 🤔
bruce willis i see dead people GIF

The disagree emoji shouldn’t be red lol. Sometimes I want to disagree with a post without writing anything and without it looking negative/aggressive with the red thumbs down.
angry/sad do that sort of job

disagree is more like a downvote, you don't get reaction points for a disagree

The bolded - lmao.

Your entire argument hinges on Hird potentially being an amazing coach, and that he never got a proper look. That is debatable. The fact he was in the job for 3 years doesn't mean he was a good coach. I think you've got a short memory when it comes to his record, or you are cherry picking like you did when comparing Scott on radio. And I'm happy to look at it ignoring the saga.

His best attribute was player buy-in, at a time that he was still the golden boy.

That's fantastic, but we are talking about coaching. There is nothing on show that he is a better choice than the other candidates.

He has coached. He doesn't need experience in a lesser role. I'm sorry but I'm running short of patience on this, it is completely non-sensical.

In his first 3 years he had a record of 11.5, 11 and 14 wins. 2015, which was on track collapsed once WADA announced its appeal. If this wasn't the belief he wouldn't have been asked to interview.

If you think he needs to do a new apprenticeship say what it is you think he will gain from it. I've read nothing that isn't just saying he needs to earn the right again. What the hell does that have to do with whether he can sell a message to players next year?

The mistake people makes is thinking that football is different.

This whole thing is hung up on tactics and being in a system for the sake of it. If his presentation is contemporary, because he's takes the 2 hours it would take him to get up to speed with the current tactics, all that matters is whether he can sell the panel on implementation.

If Yze and Hird make an equivalent substantive presentation it would the height of stupidity to select Yze over Hird because Hird is not just an experienced senior coach he has implemented successfully.

Last edited:
He has coached. He doesn't need experience in a lesser role. I'm sorry but I'm running short of patience on this, it is completely non-sensical.

In his first 3 years he had a record of 11.5, 11 and 14 wins. 2015, which was on track collapsed once WADA announced its appeal. If this wasn't the belief he wouldn't have been asked to interview.

If you think he needs to do a new apprenticeship say what it is you think he will gain from it. I've read nothing that isn't just saying he needs to earn the right again. What the hell does that have to do with whether he can sell a message to players next year?

The mistake people makes is thinking that football is different.

This whole thing is hung up on tactics and being in a system for the sake of it. If his presentation is contemporary, because he's take the 2 hours it would take him to get up to speed with the current tactics, all that matters is whether he can sell the panel on implementation.

If Yze and Hird make an equivalent substantive presentation it would the height of stupidity to select Yze over Hird because Hird is not just an experienced senior coach he has implemented successfully.
Would you hire Sheedy if he put his hand up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back