Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
Rob Harvey is interesting
Would think he'd have the experience now.

Collingwood system has both produced longmuir and had mcrae step in and go from 17th to a prelim, and he spent a good part of his coaching career there. Also spent 2 years working with Lyon during the saints best years in decades.

Has done the head coach thing as caretaker including half a season with the pies last year.
Given his playing profile, his age and his time in the system….find it hard not to conclude there is a reason he’s not a head coach.

I reckon Brad Scott will emerge as a possibility.

Like his brother he is just a psychopathic competitor first and foremost. Playing best scratches that itch but coaching is next best when you can’t play any longer. Administration doesn’t cut it at all.

Throw in a pay rise (I’m guessing) and I’m just struggling to believe he’d prefer to continue pencil pushing at AFL House.

* me, interviewing Solomon just shows how Essendon we are.

I would hazard a guess he would not get even interview at any other assistant coaching job.
FTFY

Like his brother he is just a psychopathic competitor first and foremost. Playing best scratches that itch but coaching is next best when you can’t play any longer. Administration doesn’t cut it at all.

Throw in a pay rise (I’m guessing) and I’m just struggling to believe he’d prefer to continue pencil pushing at AFL House.
Of the possibilities Scott is the one I think I'd like most so I hope you're right. I think he was underrated at Roos.

One of my favourite players and while I wouldn't know it's hard not to think the same.
What a player he was.
* me, interviewing Solomon just shows how Essendon we are.

I would hazard a guess he would not get even interview at any other head coaching job.
If it helps him out by giving him experience with a process and boosting his profile….why not help an EFC premiership player?

Just don’t give him the job!

I knew them a bit around the time they were reunited at Brisbane in 97/98

Can confirm they were both psychopathic competitors even then

He has coached. He doesn't need experience in a lesser role. I'm sorry but I'm running short of patience on this, it is completely non-sensical.
Was carried by premiership coach Bomber Thomson, side developed by the guy who built the foundation for a Bulldogs premiership and with another assistant who went on to win the Demons their flag.

It's okay, Solly will help out Hird this time, he has a fantastic record as GC defensive coach throws up

He has coached. He doesn't need experience in a lesser role. I'm sorry but I'm running short of patience on this, it is completely non-sensical.

In his first 3 years he had a record of 11.5, 11 and 14 wins. 2015, which was on track collapsed once WADA announced its appeal. If this wasn't the belief he wouldn't have been asked to interview.

If you think he needs to do a new apprenticeship say what it is you think he will gain from it. I've read nothing that isn't just saying he needs to earn the right again. What the hell does that have to do with whether he can sell a message to players next year?

The mistake people makes is thinking that football is different.

This whole thing is hung up on tactics and being in a system for the sake of it. If his presentation is contemporary, because he's takes the 2 hours it would take him to get up to speed with the current tactics, all that matters is whether he can sell the panel on implementation.

If Yze and Hird make an equivalent substantive presentation it would the height of stupidity to select Yze over Hird because Hird is not just an experienced senior coach he has implemented successfully.

I totally agree with what you have written above and I don't really see anyone refuting it effectively.

I wasn't in Melbourne during ASADA but from a distance it seems like the experience was way more traumatic for those in the traditional AFL states than it was here in the outposts. Co-workers, footy media, radio, news, family, friends, all going nuts?

But now a lot of things are being said in the media and here that defy logic. The only thing that makes sense is that a lot of old intense feelings are coming up and clouding the debate. Fear of copping crap from strangers seems to be the big one.

Re the lack of recent assistant roles... yep, that could cost him the job. But he has senior experience that others don't. All candidates have different kinds of imperfect experience.. none are Clarkson or Hardwick. So all comes down to what happens in the interview room - as it should.

People saying "well if Hird.. then why not Sheedy.." .. that's a false equivalence to score points. One is a razor sharp 49 year old and the other is suitable for pipe and slippers and not much else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The irony of Hird potentially coming back into the coaching role just as we potentially excise the last of the 34 (Heppell) off the list and finally reach fresh air is not lost on me.

It’s what we’ve apparently always wanted but we’re electing not to move forward.

Surely Jaymie Graham would be on the short list

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Has he applied for the job?

View attachment 1508808
www.heraldsun.com.au%2Fleader%2Fzach-merrett-james-hird-not-the-path-for-bombers%2Fnews-story%2Fe4b9e4425cfb2c9542ae96951d56d8ab&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21=dynamic-high-control-score&V21spcbehaviour=append

Jesus. Wonder what all the hird worshippers will say when Merrett request a trade after seeing hird appointed as coach. A few will change their tune - was it really worth it?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lol. Assistant coaches who have never coached senior afl footy before saying no..

Are we that much of a basket case or is that a silly decision by them that they may regret?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Because Hird is going to be looming large over anyone we appoint as coach. Not because he's good but because a bunch of nuffs have got it into their heads that he's still the golden child and will move heaven and earth to get him back into the role.

I don't particularly like it but if good candidates are refusing to even apply for the role we might need to get Hird in just so it can all be burnt to the ground when he ushers in 5 more years of mediocrity and finally discredits the power brokers and sheedy-ites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back