Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
Wanted to drop a line for some of the supporters, the ones who aren’t old and crusty.
I don’t have a view on this and that or that with Essendon I just want to say don’t stop loving your jumper, it’s footy and it’s your jumper.
Maybe it feels too disappointing or pointless to care and you’ve had a guts full.
Don’t stop loving your jumper, go to games and cheer em on, if you can get there next year.

I’m 50, I had a 32 year period in my life where the Tiges made it to the finals twice.
We were bloody hopeless for more than half of my life, we sacked our coaches, we spat on our own coaches, we didn’t have players that anybody else wanted apart from one or two and for years I had to listen to people say things like at least you were competitive, you had a good couple of games shit like that from people who have no idea how hard it is to watch your club trying to get off it’s knees.
I promise you, the day will come when your watching the telly or your at a game and tears will pour down your face because your so proud of the jumper and for what you’ve gone through to get to that moment.
Essendon has too many fans for it to stay down, it will turn.
Don’t chuck it in.

Barham has already acknowledged that this was an error.
It was definitely an error on his part as to how the whole situation played out, but, if he had consulted with the senior playing group first, do you think the outcome would be any different? Do you think who the players want/don't want, should have any bearing as to who our next coach is?

Sportsbet odds
$2.50 Yze
$3 Hird

Hird will be favourite by lunchtime tomorrow, haha..

Wanted to drop a line for some of the supporters, the ones who aren’t old and crusty.
I don’t have a view on this and that or that with Essendon I just want to say don’t stop loving your jumper, it’s footy and it’s your jumper.
Maybe it feels too disappointing or pointless to care and you’ve had a guts full.
Don’t stop loving your jumper, go to games and cheer em on, if you can get there next year.

I’m 50, I had a 32 year period in my life where the Tiges made it to the finals twice.
We were bloody hopeless for more than half of my life, we sacked our coaches, we spat on our own coaches, we didn’t have players that anybody else wanted apart from one or two and for years I had to listen to people say things like at least you were competitive, you had a good couple of games s**t like that from people who have no idea how hard it is to watch your club trying to get off it’s knees.
I promise you, the day will come when your watching the telly or your at a game and tears will pour down your face because your so proud of the jumper and for what you’ve gone through to get to that moment.
Essendon has too many fans for it to stay down, it will turn.
Don’t chuck it in.
Can you let us have Hopper?

Do you think they should consult the playing group about everyone interviewed? Or just Hird?

I think Hird presents some rather unique concerns.

Plus I would've thought consulting two players in Merrett and Heppell who had previously been coached by Hird would actually provide some useful insight, but what would I know.

I think Hird presents some rather unique concerns.

Plus I would've thought consulting two players in Merrett and Heppell who had previously been coached by Hird would actually have some useful insight, but what would I know.
And Langford and Laverde, as pointed out recently they were drafted almost a year before Hird resigned

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players don't choose the coach, even if they are right.

I'm not saying they should choose the coach, however Hird is obviously a unique case and gauging the view of the playing group on whether he should be accepted as an applicant seems rather straight forward, especially given that the Captain lost a year of his career under his coaching.

This whole Hird thing is like when some NASA news.com article says there's an asteroid passing dangerously close to earth but there's probably nothing to worry about, you are like meh, click bait...and go about your business - weeks later they show a projection of the asteroids path that has a 30% chance of impact, you raise an eyebrow but are like meh, click bait, and go about your business - weeks later people have telescopes out looking at the sky, following the dot, meh, its miles away...get a life...and go about your business.

Then one morning you get up and look out the window - there's this huge flaming ball in the sky on the horizon, holy s**t that thing was real all along! OK i think its time to panic.

Don’t look up

I’d like to hope Merrett coming out and saying that Hird shouldn’t be coaching us is being taken into serious consideration and enough to put a line through Hird.

What’s the clubs best player got to do with it hey?
Without the sarcasm, nothing really, as it should be.
I'm not saying they should choose the coach, however Hird is obviously a unique case and gauging the view of the playing group on whether he should be accepted as an applicant seems rather straight forward, especially given that the Captain lost a year of his career under his coaching.
The statement would probably hold more weight if it came from the player who did lose a year from their career.

I’d like to hope Merrett coming out and saying that Hird shouldn’t be coaching us is being taken into serious consideration and enough to put a line through Hird.
By all accounts, he wanted Truck to stay on and he showed that IMO in the last match against the Tiges, yet, next day Truck was gone.

So, do you think the board took his opinion about Truck into serious consideration?

If Zach, or any other player for that matter, came out and said that about any other potential coach, would we accept it and choose another candidate?

This is seriously the tail wagging the dog that shouldn't happen at any club. Let the process play out and then different factions of the supporter group can rage all they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back