Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
🤔 Hmmm, seeing as how he was in attendance at an event that promotes the opportunities given to Women in professional industries, he should have also mentioned how he was also content with RTB pulling out of the contest due to his time at Freo due to the allegations against him.
lol

Has to be Yze or Hird. Not interested in Lade or Solomon

The comments from future captain Zerrett about Hird are damning, rather that not said in public

I was starting to come around to the idea of Hird again but with those comments, it just wouldnt be a good idea

Has to be Yze now

Last edited:

The comments from future captain Zerrett about Hird are damning, rather that not said in public

I was starting to come around to the idea of Hird again but with thoae comments, it just wouldnt be a good idea

Has to be Yze now

It depends on why Zach doesn't think it will work, Zach miight be wary about Hird's involvement in the saga or maybe he thinks the club needs a certain coaching style.

I was starting to come around to the idea of Hird again but with thoae comments, it just wouldnt be a good idea

Has to be Yze now
There is no circumstance where i see hird as a good idea.

The wound is close to healed. Dont pick at it.
I get the whole GWS player thing, but that's for them.
We can't pretend 2012-15 didnt happen, or there is a redemption arc both hird and the club share.
Just move on.

Has to be Yze now

Let’s pray Brad Scott throws his name into the hat!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has to be Yze now
Didn't find the comments that damning TBH. In the end Merrett said if Hird was coach he would make it work, back peddling instantly. Sounds more like an off the cuff remark at a casual event that came out poorly.

Would put money on him answering differently if asked again.

If he said he would request a trade of stand down from footy, that would be damning. Storm in a teacup, clickbait. Unfortunately, we are going to be bombarded with BS beat ups. Media will be digging again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merrett showing some leadership.

He is absolutely spot on too ya muppets.
It’s poor leadership. Real leadership would be keeping his mouth shut in public and stating his opinion to the board and coaching sub-committee.

I’m far from saying we should hire Hird or not listen to Merrett, but this is poor by Zach. Not mention one of the main issues of Rutten not succeeding was the failures of the playing group, Merrett high up in that list when it comes to sacrifice and leadership.

‘A prominent coterie member has backed hird returning to the club’
In other news, the sky is blue
I haven't seen it referenced on here but the mystery man is Mark Casey, of Armstrong Creek fame.

“The footy club has a board and they’ve got a process they need to go through. And they will pick the best candidate,” the property tycoon told the Herald Sun on Thursday.

“But, in saying that, James Hird’s probably one of the smartest footballers and intelligent guys that I’ve ever met — even from a business point of view … his determination and the way he played the game (saw him) be one of the greatest players.

“Would I be happy to see James Hird back at the football club? Absolutely.

“But it’s up to the board and their process to be done diligently, and I want the best candidate in that job.

“If that happens to be James Hird, then nothing would make me happier. But if there’s someone better, then we should go after that person"

He bleeds red and black, and I think that he would entice other Essendon people to the club, potentially, and create a team around him that may bring us back to the success of the 2000 era,” Casey said.

“I know one thing about James — he always has a plan. At the end of the day, he’s got the footy brain and the business brain to be able to combine the two to make it a success.

“We’ve got to let the club go through due process and let the club find the best candidate, but I would definitely support James.”

It’s poor leadership. Real leadership would be keeping his mouth shut in public and stating his opinion to the board and coaching sub-committee.

I’m far from saying we should hire Hird or not listen to Merrett, but this is poor by Zach. Not mention one of the main issues of Rutten not succeeding was the failures of the playing group, Merrett high up in that list when it comes to sacrifice and leadership.
Good leadership is standing up for what is right and not what makes you popular.

BRB just trying to find a leadership quote form LinkedIn to insert.

Everything about Hird screams intelligent individual - which makes it even stranger to me, it almost beggars belief that he'd even put himself into this mixer again. Then I came to realise, he still doesn't think he's done anything wrong back in the day, it was 2 bad men that he trusted, and even then the players didnt cheat... we just cant prove it. So if you feel like you are/were innocent all along, and were wronged you probably would never give up until you get your redemption.

Probably no different to an innocent bloke sitting in jail - they dont stop trying to clear their name, do they?

I can see the reasons why he'd wanna go for it - i just dont think the bigger picture matches up.

Fair. It was messy. Would he/they have sacked Rutten anyway (knowing it was too late to nab Clarkson)? Who knows. At the least, you’d like to think Barham was prepared for that outcome. I’m trying to recall his words in the presser: “what would the members think of me if I didn’t try?”; something like that.

I know I was disappointed in Rutten’s sacking initially, if only at the least because I loathe the coaching merry-go-round, and also wanted him to have more of a chance.
If he weighed up the outcomes at all, he perhaps came to the conclusion that missing out on Clarkson was worth potentially wasting a year, which of course includes a year off the development / career potential of every player on the list.

I would have thought he was wise not to chase rainbows. We're being looked at now as such a rabble, even Ash Hansen has rejected us. 'Experienced' coaches who we were interested in won't touch us with a bargepole. Top tier players who we declared mid-season we would aggressively pursue with our huge pile of money aren't interested either. I'm not convinced he thought carefully about the outcomes. I think he had tunnel vision. Unlike others, I don't think he's a smart man. He wasn't even prepared for his press conference when it turned to shit, such was his unpreparedness. So, outcomes.

Now I'm cranky again.

Edit: and now I see even Jaymie Graham has rejected us. Graham and Hansen are smart to realise coaching us as rookie coaches is a potential career killer under a volatile board and with intrusive coteries.

Last edited:
Didn't find the comments that damning TBH. In the end Merrett said if Hird was coach he would make it work, back peddling instantly. Sounds more like an off the cuff remark at a casual event that came out poorly.

Would put money on him answering differently if asked again.

If he said he would request a trade of stand down from footy, that would be damning. Storm in a teacup, clickbait. Unfortunately, we are going to be bombarded with BS beat ups. Media will be digging again.
They're not damning but they are indicative of a lack of respect, and as a future leader they're demonstrative. Not good. Not helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back