Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
Smart people don't always make the right decisions. Sometimes they monumentally * up when chasing something big they care about. See Musk's acquisition of Twitter.

I agree with you that your theory is very believable. I agree it's something Sheedy would do. Simply saying I don't think it's something Barham would get behind based on things I've heard about him. I'm aware that I might be wrong.

Late replying to this one, however.... I thought Musk's Twitter "purchase" was a way for him to dump some of his Tesla stock when it was high? Not sure if he was ever serious about buying Twitter.

They're not damning but they are indicative of a lack of respect, and as a future leader they're demonstrative. Not good. Not helpful.
I am starting to think he is not right for captain. But who?

If Hobbs was a few more years into the system, he just oozes leadership (from the outside, I am just looking at his on field personality)

Forgetting Merrett for a a bit, it seems that we have players who don’t think having Hird back as coach is a good idea too…

the same players that wanted lyon? - seems to be lots of players wanting this and that. Reeks of an entitled playing group perhaps? if so it probably manifests on the field tbh

Good leadership is standing up for what is right and not what makes you popular.

BRB just trying to find a leadership quote form LinkedIn to insert.
Good leadership is standing up for what is right. However what you feel isn’t always right and doing it in public is often not the best way to do it for your team.

I don’t think even Zach right now on reflection would consider that a moment of good leadership.

Good leadership is standing up for what is right. However what you feel isn’t always right and doing it in public is often not the best way to do it for your team.

I don’t think even Zach right now on reflection would consider that a moment of good leadership.
The cupboard is pretty bare.

I think maybe people should be focusing on the reason why the comment was made rather than who made it.

Why would Zach say something like this?

the same players that wanted lyon? - seems to be lots of players wanting this and that. Reeks of an entitled playing group perhaps? if so it probably manifests on the field tbh
I can see pretty clearly why they would want Lyon and I can see why they would not want Hird without really thinking too hard on it.

Like death & taxes, Hird was always going to be front and centre this week.....

Never change Damo!

IF ...​

those being put through the coach search "process" at Essendon have been asked to sign Non-Disclosure Arrangements...

THEN ...​

I wonder why a member of the sub-committee search "process", Jordan Lewis, is speaking publicly about some of the goings-on. But I wonder even more why James Hird is being even considered. Certainly, a lot of the 34 players who missed a year of footy are wondering, too. Mess everywhere.

I can see pretty clearly why they would want Lyon and I can see why they would not want Hird without really thinking too hard on it.

id agree with both but in the bigger picture how often do we hear about other clubs players wanting this or that?

is it a byproduct of the saga era that our players have special needs and feel they are allowed to voice them?

I think maybe people should be focusing on the reason why the comment was made rather than who made it.

Because he thought it. It doesn’t mean it’s the consensus opinion of the playing group and that’s why it’s not good leadership.

Do you think, say, Langford feels this way? Hird is someone who continued to help Langford develop during and after his struggles to cement a spot in the side as a mid/forward hybrid.

Do you think he should have made those comments without the captain speaking first?

Do you think he’s polled the played group and got consent to air these opinions?

What it is is honestly giving his personal opinion in a public forum on a highly volatile subject.

Good leadership it is not.

I applaud his honesty on principal. But he was not under oath nor forced to do so or lie, so ultimately it’s not helpful to his team or club to state his beliefs in the public forum in this manner.

Last edited:

Drafted to a club kicked out of finals, enters a club in the worst situation in the history of football (barring the Crows when Walsh died)
year 1 of his career - bomber is coaching whilst Hird sits a year out
year 2 - probably the worst year we've had. Hird quits/sacked
year 3 - most the side is suspended
year 4 - They all come back and it's about the return/redemption
year 5 - ok year. make finals
year 6 - hire assistant coach to replace the coach that was brought in to mend the joint
year 7 - Covid hubs
year 8 - Covid
year 9 - coach out, board spills...leading coach candidate was the guy in charge at the start of this journey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

id agree with both but in the bigger picture how often do we hear about other clubs players wanting this or that?

is it a byproduct of the saga era that our players have special needs and feel they are allowed to voice them?
Agreed, I have never heard Pendles air any dirty laundry TBH.

If you pander, you create a monster.

Drafted to a club kicked out of finals, enters a club in the worst situation in the history of football (barring the Crows when Walsh died)
year 1 of his career - bomber is coaching whilst Hird sits a year out
year 2 - probably the worst year we've had. Hird quits/sacked
year 3 - most the side is suspended
year 4 - They all come back and it's about the return/redemption
year 5 - ok year. make finals
year 6 - hire assistant coach to replace the coach that was brought in to mend the joint
year 7 - Covid hubs
year 8 - Covid
year 9 - coach out, board spills...leading coach candidate was the guy in charge at the start of this journey.

You FORGOT, he took UNDERS and made a PACT with Daniher to make This Club Great Again, and laughed at JOM for choosing The Wee and Gold

Zach Merret has a long way to go before ever being considered close to being a great leader.

has he ever publicly called out and named an umpire as essentially being a cheat, resulting in a $20,000 fine? that’s leadership!

Because he thought it. It doesn’t mean it’s the consensus opinion of the playing group and that’s why it’s not good leadership.

Do you think, say, Langford feels this way? Hird is someone who continued to help Langford develop during and after his struggles to cement a spot in the side as a mid/forward hybrid.

Do you think he should have made those comments without the captain speaking first?

Do you think he’s polled the played group and got consent to air these opinions?

What it is is honestly giving his personal opinion in a public forum on a highly volatile subject.

I applaud his honesty on principal. But he was not under oath nor forced to do so or lie, so ultimately it’s not helpful to his team or club to state his beliefs in the public forum in this manner.
Zach should’ve done what hird CONTINUALLY does. Gets others to do his bidding. Slobbo, sheedy, coterie dickheads etc. I applaud Merrett for having the balls to speak honestly and not use intermediarys like golden boy.

Zach should’ve done what hird CONTINUALLY does. Gets others to do his bidding. Slobbo, sheedy, coterie dickheads etc. I applaud Merrett for having the balls to speak honestly and not use intermediarys like golden boy.
How is what Hird would do relevant to whether what Zach did being good leadership or not?

Anyone here also frequent Blitz? What’s the sentiment about Hird for coach over there?
I'm over there a bit, it's similar to here, a few really want Hird and a few hate the idea, most just want to be good again and win games and don't care who the coach is as long as the process is followed and the committee is listened to.

So in actuality the response 'yeah nah she'll be right knackers' would have been the correct one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back