Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
2 or 3 apparently ITK callers on sen going with Mark Williams senior coach and James Hird assistant. Who knows, but more than one caller going with it.
Not sure if succession plan scenario or not, but it's safe to say EFC want Hird back at the club in some capacity.

2 or 3 apparently ITK callers on sen going with Mark Williams senior coach and James Hird assistant. Who knows, but more than one caller going with it.
Not sure if succession plan scenario or not, but it's safe to say EFC want Hird back at the club in some capacity.

Hird back could be extremely poisonous. I don't think there was enough evidence to say he was a good coach (not saying he isn't capable), so I'm not sure I would be rushing to get him back...but his mere presence could cause the club to spiral enough deeper into a success-depression.

Im ok with that

It's SEN, and even worse it's their callers. They have nfi

Wasn't this the exact prediction on BBlitz from 12 years ago for the 2011 season?

I remember reading Choco as senior coach with Hird and Lloyd as assistants in mid-2010 when Knights was still there.

Would have to laugh it it happens 12 years later...

players have checked out and only a few are leading by example.

So the exact same problem Rutten has?

thats something Rutten would never do

How do you know? Saying something in a media presser is pretty irrelevant to the players themselves given the amount of conversations they have behind closed doors.

I trust that attitude and approach would go a long way to build trust/respect within a group with setting the right standards.

Except it didn't work for McVeigh did it?

I would actually be okay with Ken Hinkley. He's not strong strategically but he got Port fitter than anyone else in the comp when he first came in and they were a really strong defensive side.
Wasn’t that Burgess? He did it at both Melbourne and Port. Currently at Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a rehash of what was apparently proposed before Hird became coach in 2011. Remember hearing Williams describe this scenario on the Sacked podcast on Herald Sun a few years back. Dunno if the club would really be considering that as a viable option (Or am I giving them too much credit?)

Williams being involved in some capacity would be great, but as a Senior Coach might just be a little bit too late.

So the exact same problem Rutten has?

How do you know? Saying something in a media presser is pretty irrelevant to the players themselves given the amount of conversations they have behind closed doors.

Except it didn't work for McVeigh did it?

Massive difference between Rutten having 3 years to make change and Mark McVeigh inheriting a side half way through a season.

They also did enough to smash our pathetic side.

You're right, I don't know for sure that Rutten didn't have those conversations behind closed doors...although judging by his press conferences and selection decisions I can make the assumption that he wasn't doing enough. The whole Shiel situation was a completely and utter mess. Talk about failing to set and follow through with standards.

Maybe, but seems very pro-external review and so that mix would help - wanting change but able to get along with coterie.
Yeh he definitely wants change at the club. Problem is when you get on the board and you have to take the iron fist to people you’ve had to long term relationships with. Not everyone has the balls to follow through.

Massive difference between Rutten having 3 years to make change and Mark McVeigh inheriting a side half way through a season.

They also did enough to smash our pathetic side.

You're right, I don't know for sure that Rutten didn't have those conversations behind closed doors...although judging by his press conferences and selection decisions I can make the assumption that he wasn't doing enough. The whole Shiel situation was a completely and utter mess. Talk about failing to set and follow through with standards.

Except Shiel did demonstrably improve his defensive running. To the point that our midfield looked better with Shiel in it than Parish.

Almost like it... worked?

Except Shiel did demonstrably improve his defensive running. To the point that our midfield looked better with Shiel in it than Parish.

Almost like it... worked?

How much of that was due to Shiels own pride and Ruttens influence though...I guess we will never know. Either it was all very awkward and confusing.

How much of that was due to Shiels own pride and Ruttens influence though...I guess we will never know. Either it was all very awkward and confusing.

I'm quite confident Shiel and Rutten would have had a conversation out of the media that occurred between one game, and the team selection news coming out on AFL.com for the next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back