Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Who should coach the Adelaide Crows in 2025?

• Simon Goodwin - poach him from Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Burns - promote from within

• Brett Montgomery - bring him to coach, not to assist

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratten would be a better choice for Head of Football IMO.

Love that idea actually. Premiership player at Carlton. Coached at four separate clubs including Hawthorn (triple premiership assistant under Clarkson) and St Kilda/North (examples of what not to do)

The fact that Ratten immediately left North after one season elevates his standing significantly in my opinion. Shows good judgement. He was also able to improve an absolutely terrible Carlton team.

An experienced AFL operator with success as both a player and coach. Exactly what we need to oversee our football department.

A known coach who has been treated harshly imo is Brett ratten. He would actually be my top pick I think.
Ratten is a great shout, in any capacity. Carlton's best years from 2002-21 (post salary cap, pre-Voss) were all under Ratten. He also led St Kilda to their only finals win of the last 14 years.

I don't think he'd really be interested (especially not in coaching), but he's definitely the sort of person we should be trying to lure.

Love that idea actually. Premiership player at Carlton. Coached at four separate clubs including Hawthorn (triple premiership assistant under Clarkson) and St Kilda/North (examples of what not to do)

The fact that Ratten immediately left North after one season elevates his standing significantly in my opinion. Shows good judgement. He was also able to improve an absolutely terrible Carlton team.

An experienced AFL operator with success as both a player and coach. Exactly what we need to oversee our football department.
46012.jpg

Both times ratten was sacked turned out to be bad calls as well in hindsight. Malthouse at Carlton came in and went backwards then rose tinted glasses at st.kilda for Lyon and he hasn't improved them at all. Rattens been stiff. Well represented by this parody 😆

This should be the sole focus for the club from here.
Nicks is a spud. There is no doubt, it’s not a question anymore. He’s a proven failure. Put a line through him and move on. The whole coaching group has to go too. None of our assistants have potential.
The big problem is that there aren’t any obviously options out there atm though. From the experienced options out there, Ratten or Rutten appear the only semi viable. The experienced assistants, probably only Bassett has any potential. None of these give me any confidence at all. We’ve missed the boat on the few emerging coaches like Kingsley and Mitchell too. Is there a current coach that is poachable?
It’s is going to be a massive challenge to pick the next coach and get it right.

This should be the sole focus for the club from here.
Nicks is a spud. There is no doubt, it’s not a question anymore. He’s a proven failure. Put a line through him and move on. The whole coaching group has to go too. None of our assistants have potential.
The big problem is that there aren’t any obviously options out there atm though. From the experienced options out there, Ratten or Rutten appear the only semi viable. The experienced assistants, probably only Bassett has any potential. None of these give me any confidence at all. We’ve missed the boat on the few emerging coaches like Kingsley and Mitchell too. Is there a current coach that is poachable?
It’s is going to be a massive challenge to pick the next coach and get it right.
There’s plenty of very good senior assistants out there, going for a recycle senior coach very rarely works.

Dean Cox and Ash Hansen would both be great senior coaches.

I honestly think Dean Cox is the guy that could come in and command that presence that Phil Walsh did. Long time assistant at a successful club, long time player at a successful club. Would bring good people with him and is respected league wide. Talk last week that Longmire will get an extension, so unless he is happy as an assistant, unlikely to be a senior coach at Sydney for another few years.

Only issue I see is if West Coast make a move on Simpson before us and Cox is their primary target.

I honestly think Dean Cox is the guy that could come in and command that presence that Phil Walsh did. Long time assistant at a successful club, long time player at a successful club. Would bring good people with him and is respected league wide. Talk last week that Longmire will get an extension, so unless he is happy as an assistant, unlikely to be a senior coach at Sydney for another few years.

Only issue I see is if West Coast make a move on Simpson before us and Cox is their primary target.

The decision would be dean cox’s decision would he want to come to a club with a poor list. He may be waiting for a club which he sees potential in the list

Have we got anywhere near a potential premiership list

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don Pyke would get the band back together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He could also be a player/coach for a year until we find a ruck.

Ratten is a great shout, in any capacity. Carlton's best years from 2002-21 (post salary cap, pre-Voss) were all under Ratten. He also led St Kilda to their only finals win of the last 14 years.

I don't think he'd really be interested (especially not in coaching), but he's definitely the sort of person we should be trying to lure.
Ratten has ready said that he will never coach again.

If it was up to me I would pay James Rahilly whatever it cost to get him back here as our next senior coach.
The bloke has more football nous in his little finger than Nicks has in his whole body.
We’ve had two very good assistant coaches in recent times and we have let them both walk. Rahilly and Teague are streets ahead of our current batch of pretenders. How on earth is Burns our forward line coach? Van Berlo couldn’t coach ivy to grow up a wall. Nicks would have to be on par with Bolton and Neeld as the worst modern day tactician.

Voss is going ok at Carlton on his 2nd go at it.
Talking about recycled premiership coaches (I should have been clearer on that) e.g. Pagan or Malthouse at Carlton, Clarko currently at North. Someone put a good post together on here recently about the last couple of decades of premiership coaches, they've either played or coached in premiership winning clubs under the likes of Matthews, Malthouse, Clarko, Pagan etc.

Would Leppitsch be an option for a second chance?

Has been involved in some pretty good clubs since being sacked at Brisbane.
I know he crashed & burned spectacularly (back in 2016) but has anyone mentioned Justin Leppitsch?
he's been at Brisbane, Richmond & is currently head of strategy (and defensive line coach) at Collingwood.
Surely worth putting in the conversation at least.
Not while Roo is there, during Campgate I spoke to Fagan and I questioned Burtons initial appointment and put that on Burton being Roos mate. I brought up Brisbane shocking injury list under Burton. Fagan called Burton a superstar and said the high injury count was due to Leppitsch being a mad man and forcing Burton to push the players too far and that’s why Burton wanted out. I laughed at the suggestion.

What a load of bullshit. Especially when Roo said 3 weeks before Burtons appointment they had been away and Burton wanted to return home with his family.

Not while Roo is there, during Campgate I spoke to Fagan and I questioned Burtons initial appointment and put that on Burton being Roos mate. I brought up Brisbane shocking injury list under Burton. Fagan called Burton a superstar and said the high injury count was due to Leppitsch being a mad man and forcing Burton to push the players too far and that’s why Burton wanted out. I laughed at the suggestion.

What a load of bullshit. Especially when Roo said 3 weeks before Burtons appointment they had been away and Burton wanted to return home with his family.
Brett Burton lol.

The day he was sacked was the most enjoyment the club has given us in the last five years.

I spoke to Fagan around the same time and got told Brad Crouch was not telling the truth about his injury when he went on radio saying he had OP.

Said the same things about Burton being a superstar though

I spoke to Fagan around the same time and got told Brad Crouch was not telling the truth about his injury when he went on radio saying he had OP.

Said the same things about Burton being a superstar though
Maybe this is what Bone meant when he said Nicks is a superstar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Back