Who watched the 1987 SA v VIC state of origin match on Foxtel last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

What a load of garbage. Get a clue.

Not that far-fetched. They'd be a lot fitter and more athletic, and if they played with modern zones and extra men around the ball the olden days forwards would be standing around scratching their heads and wondering why the ball wasn't getting down to them.

Footballers' skills in general across the board are comfortably the best that they have ever been, anyone that thinks otherwise is just blinded by nostalgia. The only area that hasn't improved like it should imo is set shots on goal.

You wonder why people scatch their heads at this ludicrous claim that players are so much more skilled these days when all day long we sit and watch players miss goals from 20 metres out, drop sitter marks, throw the ball around rather than actually handball, etc. Today's game is too quick for most players to deal with. These guys are highly paid and are 24/7 footballers. They don't have to work all day and then have 2 hours on a cold Thursday night to hone their skills. They have no excuse for being crap .. and yet they still are.

I would argue that today's game require players to be more skilled, but they aren't, which is why the game is a rabble. If the players had the skills to pull off the convoluted game plans of today, the game may be worth watching. At least in the 80s and 90s, the game was played in accordance with a player's ability to handle the required skills.

And for all you smartarses out there who try to say the worst team in 2014 would beat the very best from 20 years ago, it just shows the ignorance people have of the unknown. I'd love to be around 20 years from now just to watch the "best evah" generation of 2014 arguing with Johnny come lately supporters that players in 2034 are nowhere as good as they were in 2014, and being told they don't know what they're talking about. It WILL happen.

And for all you smartarses out there who try to say the worst team in 2014 would beat the very best from 20 years ago, it just shows the ignorance people have of the unknown. I'd love to be around 20 years from now just to watch the "best evah" generation of 2014 arguing with Johnny come lately supporters that players in 2034 are nowhere as good as they were in 2014, and being told they don't know what they're talking about. It WILL happen.

You seem to be confused. No one is arguing that 2014 players will stand as the best generation of all time, just that they are better than their predecessors. Just like players in the 80's were better than those from the 60's, who were better than those from the 40's, etc, etc.

Most likely the players of 2034 will be better than current players, although now we've entered the age of full professionalism this trend may start to slow a little thanks to the law of diminishing returns.

And guess what the crowd capacity was for most Victorian clubs home grounds .....seriously :rolleyes:

My guess is that the capacity of Victoria park in 1987 was 27k.

I also guess that Collingwood hosted one home game at the MCG and one at Waverley.

So you are right to be sarcastic. ... ground capacity was not the reason.

Footballers' skills in general across the board are comfortably the best that they have ever been, anyone that thinks otherwise is just blinded by nostalgia. The only area that hasn't improved like it should imo is set shots on goal.

because shooting for goal is a mental exercise not technical one. if you were to remove the goal posts, put a player behind where the goals should be, and ask the player shooting for goal to hit the guy on the chest from 40-50m they'd go pretty close to the target 9/10 times.

You can't compare the two games, because they were playing under completely different rules. Any similarity to the game we have today and what was played in 1987 is purely co-incidental. Anyone born after 1990 has absolutely no idea and shouldn't comment about the past. Today's game is a vastly different beast, it's been over officiated, it's been tampered with in order to please the aesthetics not the practicality of the game , it's a made for TV game these days. There is always a reaction to something and very little pro action. (a runner is seen near a stoppage and the world is going to end?) now we have new rules for that all of a sudden, but they won't do anything about incorrect disposal!! Why? Because they want the game to keep flowing, moving at a rapid pace, so the TV audience are kept on their toes. Ban the runners? Then get prepared for Time Out if that happens. There is no other game on earth like Australian Rules Football for knee jerk reactions to the rules themselves. It's still football, but hardly recognisable as the game that was played in 1987.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wonder why people scatch their heads at this ludicrous claim that players are so much more skilled these days when all day long we sit and watch players miss goals from 20 metres out, drop sitter marks, throw the ball around rather than actually handball, etc. Today's game is too quick for most players to deal with. These guys are highly paid and are 24/7 footballers. They don't have to work all day and then have 2 hours on a cold Thursday night to hone their skills. They have no excuse for being crap .. and yet they still are.

I would argue that today's game require players to be more skilled, but they aren't, which is why the game is a rabble. If the players had the skills to pull off the convoluted game plans of today, the game may be worth watching. At least in the 80s and 90s, the game was played in accordance with a player's ability to handle the required skills.

Nice rant. A lot of vehement discrediting then equally extreme and opinionated claims of your own.

The skill level between now and 20 years ago isn't even comparable. The top guys were just as skilled but the 17th best kick in your average 22 in the mid 90s wouldn't be a good enough kick to make it onto an AFL list in 2014, let alone a team. The development is so much better.

In the 80s and 90s, there were more skill errors than there are today despite there being none of the zoning or forward press that we see today. Players had acres of space and ages to kick and they'd miss targets. These days if a player misses a target under no pressure, half the supporterbase will call for his dropping. It happened 20 times a game in the 90s.

In 2034, players will probably be bigger and stronger and fitter and faster than they are now, and tactics will have evolved to the point where a team from 2034 would probably wipe the better 2014 sides off the park.

Nobody is arguing that the players from 20 years ago were any less naturally talented. They just didn't have the development, professionalism or modern tactics that today's players have.

Which rules would they play? Today's rules or the rules back then? Changes things considerably

Yeah I'm also in the camp that it does not matter much, the modern teams would be just way too good. Skills under pressure and fitness to run out a game, they would be too good.

Hypothetically, if it were played in 80s conditions/rules, the main problems the modern player would have would be:

- being scared of being belted behind play
- players 'blocking space' getting crunched or shirtfronted by a leading full forward.
- giving away free kicks for in the back, holding and too high when tackling recklessly.
- not being able to do dribble kicks because the surface is muddy / unreliable

All said and done though, I imagine the game would maybe be close for a bit, with the 80s players running out of puff and the modern team running all over them - any issues/concerns with shirtfronts would probably not even come into play becasue the modern team would just run them off their feet.

because shooting for goal is a mental exercise not technical one. if you were to remove the goal posts, put a player behind where the goals should be, and ask the player shooting for goal to hit the guy on the chest from 40-50m they'd go pretty close to the target 9/10 times.
What about the man on the mark? The trajectory of kicking over a man on the mark makes kicking for goal a slightly different skill.

Whilst I agree with you on their likely ability to hit a stationary target, people citing this sort of reasoning also need to be careful when lauding field-kicking skills over goal kicking. With field kicking, often the only thing you have to achieve is to kick it to favour your teammate over his opponent - this actually can give you quite a bit of leeway that your teammate can work wth by speeding up / slowing down or changing direction slightly.

Not doubting the mental aspect though. Some players do not even have a deliberate plan or method to kick for goal - often a defender having an angled shot exhibits this - but I think there is scope tolearn the physical skill of goalkicking.

It could have just been a crap game, which happens in all eras. I'm sure people will look at the 2013 GF in years to come and suggest that the skills were pretty ordinary. Blokes shanking kicks out on the full, limited highlights etc.

I don't profess to follow "other" football codes like Rugby and Soccer. For those who do, if you were to watch games from 27 years ago would the contrast between skills levels and game styles be as dramatic as I believe we have seen in AFL?
Not sure about soccer, but both forms of rugby definitely yes.

Old farts telling me every year they're going to stop watching football because rah rah all they do is kick backwards nowadays annoy me, though I agree rule enforcement has turned to crap. If you don't like it, then yes please piss off.

You know what else annoys me? If the State of Origin 1987 game is your only exposure to 80's football then stfu. You're just as obnoxious as the idiots saying the game is dead because shock horror, lots of handballing.

The rules and tactics back then were completely different, comparing them is as stupid as comparing Buddy to any classic CHF.

I don't profess to follow "other" football codes like Rugby and Soccer. For those who do, if you were to watch games from 27 years ago would the contrast between skills levels and game styles be as dramatic as I believe we have seen in AFL?

Similar changes have occurred in both, namely played at a faster pace and much less scope to get away with thuggery & everyone has to be part of the defensive system, regardless of position, back then prima donna soccer 'midfield generals' and maestros weren't expected to track back when their side didn't have the ball, they put in a halfhearted attempt at a tackle then stood with their hands on their hips until a teammate passed them the ball.

Rugby Union back then was mainly a bunch of fatty forwards who weren't very fit all piling into every ruck so that there was a mass of 16 players all lying over the ball and then if one side got it out it would just be passed through the backs until it got to the winger and he either had the space to take on his man or he didn't......or the 10 kicked the ball. Now days everyone is fit and cut, most of the forwards stay in the defensive line with only a few in the ruck and whilst in general players are more skilled there is less opportunity to show breathtaking individual skill.

Soccer stays truer than most other sports because it is just a very simple game, I guess there was more long ball back then, more stopping forwards by illegal means and defenders tended to lack basic kicking skills. Sides either played a very high defensive line looking to catch forwards offside or they played a sweeper behind the central defenders, and defended deep, both of these styles would be destroyed these days.There was a greater contrast in tactics, it's a far more homoginised game now.

Rugby looks ridiculous if you watch it from back then compared with now, whilst soccer is still essentially the same game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who watched the 1987 SA v VIC state of origin match on Foxtel last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back