Who watched the 1987 SA v VIC state of origin match on Foxtel last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched it and was impressed with SA, Platten, Naley, and Bradley were everywhere, Dermie did his usual sniping thug act with zero impact on the Game .

3 Margaret medallists. Platen and Bradley went to Vic, Platten won a Brownlow & some flags, Bradley massive for carlton & won a flag or two also. Naley another SA boy who would've dominated VFL but chose to stay at home.

3 Margaret medallists. Platen and Bradley went to Vic, Platten won a Brownlow & some flags, Bradley massive for carlton & won a flag or two also. Naley another SA boy who would've dominated VFL but chose to stay at home.
Naley did go to Carlton
show_image.php

Footballers' skills in general across the board are comfortably the best that they have ever been, anyone that thinks otherwise is just blinded by nostalgia. The only area that hasn't improved like it should imo is set shots on goal.
Another myth

I've seen plenty of games from the 80s where the winning side would kick 15.20

What's changed is the amount of shots

Falkener ball not a Sherrin
na, it was a sherrin. did see the markings on the ball at one stage

yellow ball used to be tanned yellow, it's now painted

Who was Margaret?

It may be a better standard now, but it was certainly a better spectacle 20-30 years ago.
I dispute that. There is so much more congestion now but this is outweighed by the speed today, the precise foot and hand skills and the strategisation, IMO.

I don't profess to follow "other" football codes like Rugby and Soccer. For those who do, if you were to watch games from 27 years ago would the contrast between skills levels and game styles be as dramatic as I believe we have seen in AFL?

For Soccer it's a little harder because there are multiple countries influencing the game at any given time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another myth

I've seen plenty of games from the 80s where the winning side would kick 15.20

What's changed is the amount of shots
complete rubbish..they kicked large scores because they only ran one way..not a defensive bone in their bodies ...present day skills are much more consistently better ...the amount of times they just hand balled to nobody was cringe worthy.

complete rubbish..they kicked large scores because they only ran one way..not a defensive bone in their bodies ...present day skills are much more consistently better ...the amount of times they just hand balled to nobody was cringe worthy.
makes you wonder just how bad Richmond or Melbourne were a few years ago when they lost by over 150 to geelong

One thing I picked up on was the umpires didnt wait 50 years to call for a ball up
They were a lot more lenient with marks in general
Also the traditional SOO of WA vs Vic was also on & was a ripper game

Been having a look at quite a few of the 80s games on Fox Footy this past week and the kicking was so much better especially with a muddy waterlogged ball. Very few players today can kick that good. Also seen many excellent passages of team play ending with pinpoint accurate passes to the full foward. I'm not sure what the motivation behind these"modern snobs" is trying to downplay the older style game.

OLD FOOTBALL FOREVER AND FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS old football...Old football runnin' around and... a- all day long forever.. all a - a hundred days old football! forever a hundred times.... OVER and over oldfootballadventures.com..

I didn't get this the first time the thread came up.

I get it now :thumbsu: :D

WA v Vic is no more 'traditional' than SA v Vic...
come now
SOO originated by Larkins?
WA vs Vic was the original & best until the mulletanians used the chip on their shoulder to have some great results
honestly, SA did have some awesome teams in the late 80's & early 90's, but are they really relevant?

come now
SOO originated by Larkins?
WA vs Vic was the original & best until the mulletanians used the chip on their shoulder to have some great results
honestly, SA did have some awesome teams in the late 80's & early 90's, but are they really relevant?

From a Vic POV, it was all like a tussle with your little brother. You might have thought it a big deal, but for us a 'win' was still pretty meaningless. 'win' and it was 'yeah, of course', lose and we copped shit....meanwhile the other side thought it was the biggest thing in the world.

From a Vic POV, it was all like a tussle with your little brother. You might have thought it a big deal, but for us a 'win' was still pretty meaningless. 'win' and it was 'yeah, of course', lose and we copped shit....meanwhile the other side thought it was the biggest thing in the world.

Not sure why you guys ever bothered playing, they were always on an end of year booze up, or only trying when they wanted to. Those poor players turning it on and off at will.
It's amazing why so many players were recruited from our dud states when surely you had hundreds much better in your own back yard.
Was there ever A day a Vic side lost or a vic club lost that was not on the piss or not taking it seriously?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who watched the 1987 SA v VIC state of origin match on Foxtel last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back