Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 2

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree flags are the ultimate measure but Carlton supporters problem is you have to play with other measures to stay in the discussion.

For younger Carlon supporters, and here i am thinking the 50 year olds and younger, its pretty well a straight out conclusion. It has sucked to follow the Blues. It was an unfortunate choice. The 5 spoons in 20 something years. Something akin to the last couple of decades of Fitzroy or South before their demise except those 2 were not as proficient at picking up spoons even in their death throes. Supporting an irrelevent club has demoralised the under 50 baggars.

For the older types they have something to lean back on. Like an old couch with pointy springs sticking into your bum its become less and less comfortable. The wasted decades of support have left most old baggar mates of mine shells of their once arrogant selves.

Face it, even a Pie like me , born in 1960, wouldnt dream of swapping the ride Pie supporters have had compared to the Blues over my lifetime. For a lot of time i was envious of your ride but thats long gone.

Equal on flags yes but give me contention and relevency over becoming hang dogs anyday. Perhaps the most beautiful thing has been the combined overflowing joy of Carlton becoming a Fitzroy/ South imitation while we remain the biggest team in the land. I love the karma bus
Quite a nice little spiel that. Grand final defeats might be good enough for Collingwood, but it'll never be good enough for Carlton.

Hmm irrelevant club you say considering that the "all mighty" Collingwood Football Club has only won three flags in the last sixty five years, i'd choose my words a little more carefully if i were you.

Just look at the last couple of pages on this thread. Just look at your fellow Pies supporters reactions to our revival as a footy power.

Those people are quite clearly worried and they have good reason to be worried. No other club has given more joy to Carlton than Collingwood 1915, 1938, 1970, 1979 and 1981. Put that in your bitter pipe and smoke it.

Last edited:
Moderators should know better - this is the 2024 thread. Feel free to bring up the past in threads that were doing the rounds in 2004 or thereabouts
Was just replying to posts in this thread re the comparitive historys. Point taken though. Truth is sitting here in 2024 its never been better to be a supporter of one of our clubs.

P.S both if we cap it at the last 28 years

Quite a nice little spiel that. Grand final defeats might be good enough for Collingwood, but it'll never be good enough for Carlton.

Hmm irrelevant club you say considering that the "all mighty" Collingwood Football Club has only won three flags in the last sixty five years, i'd choose my words a little more carefully if i were you.

Just look at the last couple of pages on this thread. Just look at you fellow Pies supporters reactions to our revival as a footy power.

Those people are quite clearly worried and they have good reason to be worried. No other club has given more joy to Carlton than Collingwood 1915, 1938, 1970, 1979 and 1981. Put that in your bitter pipe and smoke it.
Comprehension may not be the strong suit if you think i said GF defeats are enough but they are way in front of spoons

I love history as much as any but history, pretty ancient at that, is all Blues supportes have. Blues is an increasingly apt nickname dont you think

Comprehension may not be the strong suit if you think i said GF defeats are enough but they are way in front of spoons

I love history as much as any but history, pretty ancient at that, is all Blues supportes have. Blues is an increasingly apt nickname dont you think
A very silly post considering that no television footage exists of your clubs 1920 and 1930's heyday. It's just been the odd flag here and there for Collingwood since then, with a plethora of grand final defeats in between.

Agree flags are the ultimate measure but Carlton supporters problem is you have to play with other measures to stay in the discussion.

For younger Carlon supporters, and here i am thinking the 50 year olds and younger, its pretty well a straight out conclusion. It has sucked to follow the Blues. It was an unfortunate choice. The 5 spoons in 20 something years. Something akin to the last couple of decades of Fitzroy or South before their demise except those 2 were not as proficient at picking up spoons even in their death throes. Supporting an irrelevent club has demoralised the under 50 baggars.

For the older types they have something to lean back on. Like an old couch with pointy springs sticking into your bum its become less and less comfortable. The wasted decades of support have left most old baggar mates of mine shells of their once arrogant selves.

Face it, even a Pie like me , born in 1960, wouldnt dream of swapping the ride Pie supporters have had compared to the Blues over my lifetime. For a lot of time i was envious of your ride but thats long gone.

Equal on flags yes but give me contention and relevency over becoming hang dogs anyday. Perhaps the most beautiful thing has been the combined overflowing joy of Carlton becoming a Fitzroy/ South imitation while we remain the biggest team in the land. I love the karma bus
I wouldn't want to swap the ride from now on for quids.

A very silly post considering that no television footage exists of your clubs 1920 and 1930's heyday. It's just been the odd flag here and there for Collingwood since then, with a plethora of grand final defeats in between.
Collingwood's heyday has been the entire history of the VFL/AFL - having playing in more than 1/3 of all Grand Finals contested.

The most recent 2.5 years, where we have won more games than any other team (including a premiership), has also been quite the heyday.

Collingwood's heyday has been the entire history of the VFL/AFL - having playing in more than 1/3 of all Grand Finals contested.

The most recent 2.5 years, where we have won more games than any other team (including a premiership), has also been quite the heyday.
As i said to someone else grand final defeats might be good enough for Collingwood, but it will never be good enough for Carlton.

im so happy for you and all your Carlton mates winning all those finals in the last 20 years e.. really raced ahead in the premierships tally 👏 👏 👏

Just like Aarow, looks like youre stuck in the past counting days. #RentFree#rentfree

Talk about rent free :laughv1:

Happy Birthday GIF by Minka Comics

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mediocre clubs like Carlton and its supporter base cheers on mediocre results like a first week finals win.

I dunno about you but i remember winning the last match of the season not some game in first week of finals. OF course you need to win that first week of finals but as the saying goes, if you ain’t first, your last

Talk about mediocre, you should be spending your time in this troll thread :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
I guess a team has got to be good enough to get to a Grand Final to be defeated in one, so it really is a moot point for Carlton.
We'll all be delighted to see Carlton in this year's grand final hopefully.

It's just that you Pies supporters make this big song and dance about grand final appearance, whilst simultaneously ignoring your appalling record at producing the goods in grand finals.

You ignore things like being the only club to lose a grand final to St Kilda for example.

Last edited:

Can you read? This is about 2024. Look at the ladder. So far you're lower and have been for all but 1 week this year.

Go Blues!

We'll all be delighted to see Carlton in this year's grand final hopefully.

It's just that you Pies supporters make this big song and dance about grand final appearance, whilst simultaneously ignoring your appalling record at producing the goods in grand finals.

Your ignore things like being the only club to lose a grand final to St Kilda for example.
We've finished top 20 times for 16 flags, so we've left 4 on the table imo, not appalling but could do better

We've finished top 20 times for 16 flags, so we've left 4 on the table imo, not appalling but could do better
The Pies have finished top of the ladder more times than any other club to be fair. Thankfully the season doesn't end at the conclusion of the home and away fixtures though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back