Who will be better in 2024? Hawthorn or Essendon?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Things I've mocked essendon for back in 2009 are still happening in 2024. It's not a Brad Scott thing, it's not a lack of talent but a general recruitment of the types of players. List management and the brand of football they play they always play, even back to Knight, is yeah a good talent group will come up, be able to play some great rebound and pretty football, but they'll absolutely be garbage in a couple of areas, and they won't even get to "average" in these areas, it's like they accept "well if we turn the ball over we are gonna leak a score involvement, but we can't fix it because we play this way and cannot in any way deviate or even tinker with it.

But whatever. Bring back Hird. That'll solve it.

Things I've mocked essendon for back in 2009 are still happening in 2024. It's not a Brad Scott thing, it's not a lack of talent but a general recruitment of the types of players. List management and the brand of football they play they always play, even back to Knight, is yeah a good talent group will come up, be able to play some great rebound and pretty football, but they'll absolutely be garbage in a couple of areas, and they won't even get to "average" in these areas, it's like they accept "well if we turn the ball over we are gonna leak a score involvement, but we can't fix it because we play this way and cannot in any way deviate or even tinker with it.
you know what's laughable?

A funny coincidence that so many coaches have a penchant for small inside midfielders with poor kicking skills... it has nothing to do with the talent acquisition manager aka draft guy aka list manager.

People who have defender Dodoro should uppercut themselves because you have hit nail on head. The same type of players are brought in yet we continually shoot the coach and move him on in lieu of changing the head of list management / strategy

My favourite part of this thread is the very reason the Bombers are still so mediocre - they would prefer a vanilla mid in Parish who racks up getting the ball with zero hurt factor over an absolute midfield bull in Newcombe. That's the microcosm of everything that's wrong with the Bomber mentality.

Also saw the Gresham v MacDonald comparison. One flashy soft flanker past his peak vs a high impact gut running half forward. Of course Bomber fans prefer the guy who burns his teammates, doesn't run both ways or put his head over the ball.

Essendon could still feasibly finish on top of us this year but I flipping love that our coach has the stones to say we're aiming to play finals and that whilst the season as a whole won't be a failure if we fail to do so we'll be seriously disappointed if we don't make it.
No sugar coating, no quelling of expectations, just putting the aspirations of the players & coaches out there into the ether and trusting the playing group to be able to deal with those expectations

Last edited:
We know you've always been a closet Hawks supporter :D

reported šŸ˜‚

It's a very very good list, ahead of plan even more impressive .

Even got the ex Don going like an AA Player.

you know what's laughable?

A funny coincidence that so many coaches have a penchant for small inside midfielders with poor kicking skills... it has nothing to do with the talent acquisition manager aka draft guy aka list manager.

People who have defender Dodoro should uppercut themselves because you have hit nail on head. The same type of players are brought in yet we continually shoot the coach and move him on in lieu of changing the head of list management / strategy
What exactly is Dodoros position at Ess

The club seemingly likes to be somewhat opaque about it all which says a bit

I am not even joking. No one actually knows. He just exists and that right there shows how ****ing pathetic and embarrassing we are as a football club

One things clear about this year.

At the start of the season Essendon blew out the hawks and looked a class above despite having some obvious flaws. Then they challenged Sydney punch for ouch for 7/8ths of a game before running out of gas in the final quarter and losing by 30 as Sydney ran up the score.

Essendon continued to largely do the same thing and once other teams worked out those flaws began to lose games against everybody remotely competent. (And a few teams that werenā€™t)

Hawthorn to their credit got some players back, kept working hard and kept improving. Are a physical side thatā€™s good in transition. Selected on merit as opposed to status and reputation and are now peaking at the right time.

Itā€™s clear that the answer to this question this season is Hawthorn. (Even though Iā€™m heavily biased to still be skeptical of their overall talent level when compared to the top sides)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite part of this thread is the very reason the Bombers are still so mediocre - they would prefer a vanilla mid in Parish who racks up getting the ball with zero hurt factor over an absolute midfield bull in Newcombe. That's the microcosm of everything that's wrong with the Bomber mentality.

Also saw the Gresham v MacDonald comparison. One flashy soft flanker past his peak vs a high impact gut running half forward. Of course Bomber fans prefer the guy who burns his teammates, doesn't run both ways or put his head over the ball.
Yeah no one is taking Parish or Gresham over Newcombe or MacDonald.

I am not even joking. No one actually knows. He just exists and that right there shows how ****ing pathetic and embarrassing we are as a football club

Yep, hasnā€™t been in charge for years. Yet still hangs around without a role.

Cant say much because im probably not meant to, but everything youā€™ve said is spot on.
if you check my posting on the board tonight I am fed up with the inaction my football club is taking. The fact that so much talk happens every single year and so little changes says enough.

Spineless, gutless, inept, could go on and on. Im happy to see North, Hawthorn even the Suns looking to shoot past us and quickly

I really want to thank the Bombers from saving us from McKay and Gresham.

Phew.

Got to be close to 1.7 million for the next 4 years.

We'll take our chances with Barrass instead.

I really want to thank the Bombers from saving us from McKay and Gresham.

Phew.

Got to be close to 1.7 million for the next 4 years.

We'll take our chances with Barrass instead.
McKay will be on rookie wages come year 4, 5 and 6 though so not all bad news.. Gresham is concerning

McKay will be on rookie wages come year 4, 5 and 6 though so not all bad news.. Gresham is concerning

I can't believe Gresham is only 26.

He moves like he's on a zimmer frame out there.

People suggesting Parish > Newcombe, laughable.

Nash > Parish

Day > Parish

Worpel > Parish

Parish should be in the VFL, doesn't go hard enough. Essendon's best players (other than obviously Merrett), are blokes who've not yet been ruined by the culture and development at their club. Durham, Martin and Caddy all guns.

When Essendon recruited 2MP and their fans talked about him like the second coming, I laughed for weeks. I've got a good mate who is a suns supporter so I'd watched plenty of their games. He kicks goals but doesn't offer enough around the ground. Just like Mckay now, he can win big 1 on 1's, but his groundball work is atrocious.

Bombers should build the forwardline around Caddy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be better in 2024? Hawthorn or Essendon?

Back