Who will be closer to playing in finals end of 2016 season? Lions, StK or Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

What part of "you beat some better teams than us during the year" did you fail to understand?

As much as no-one likes to give us credit for our win against them, Essendon weren't "shit-kicked" when we demolished them. That was the first real belting they'd received for the year, so it's not like they'd been softened up for us. Just the previous week they had taken it right up to Hawthorn for a half, which is a lot more than most teams are able to say. It was us who softened them up for all those who followed.

Do you want to hear something hilarious though? Have a guess who lost to that "shit-kicked" team the very next week, at their own home ground, after we'd softened them up big-time for them? You guessed it, Melbourne! :D A 119 point worse result against them than we had just a week earlier. :thumbsu:

We then beat you very convincingly (also at the MCG) a couple of weeks after that, so perhaps you ought to give us a bit more credit for some of our wins.

Both our teams also beat Gold Coast in the first two rounds of the year (when they still had Ablett and most of the rest of their best 22, half of which missed most of the rest of the year) yet our win was a lot more convincing (led by over 50 points half way through the game) and it was up at Metricon, whereas your less convincing win the week before was at the MCG.

I also wouldn't go writing home about your win against Richmond as being anything super-special, either, as like the previous year, their form in the first handful of games was far from their best. They lost 4 of those first 6 games and the only wins were against the eventual bottom 2 teams in Carlton and Brisbane. I'd take our 110 point win over Essendon over that one any day. 100+ point wins are extremely rare, especially for bottom 6 teams. They don't just happen by accident.
I never read anything into a Richmond win, and in your shoes, I'd be reading even less into an Essendon thrashing. One of the very few games I saw them lift for was the one against us. It didn't make it any less shameful.

There's no doubting that some of the losses last season were still dreadful. The first half against Carlton was appallingly bad and even the win against Brisbane felt like a loss, we played that badly. The name of the game next season is finding that magic C word: consistency.

Playing Melbourne is the ultimate Russian Roulette. Occasionally you'll come up against us on a day where the players have enough self-respect to put in an effort but the majority of the time the result was decided before the first bounce. Very little to be taken out of a win against us.

You might say softened up, but it could just as easily be said that Essendon played their grand final against us the next week with every player and Hird having their neck on the line. I've never seen a softer win than the St Kilda v Essendon game, the Bombers might as well have not turned up.

One in Geelong in 2011 springs to mind

You finished ahead of us by half a game (with a win in the final round, prior to which we were ahead on the ladder) and we had the higher percentage of the two teams, despite getting smashed in the last couple of rounds by top 4 teams when we were cooked, which wiped a chunk of our % off (it was over 90% about 2/3 of the way through the season).

You beat some better teams than us during the year, but were a lot less consistent over the course of the season...

You spout some self-serving rubbish.

You finished on 78% and we finished on 77%.

We won 35 quarters for the year and you won 33. This stat is a good measure of consistency. To say we were a "lot less consistent" is patent nonsense. It's no surprise that the bottom 5 of the "quarters won" ladder are bottom 5 on the premiership ladder. And we weren't in either - you are.

We had far more impressive wins, because we have an exciting emerging team. We also had some poor losses because we're young, don't have a great senior core and it's a long year for young teams.

We also had significant injuries to players like Viney, Tyson, vandenBerg, Salem, Jetta, Kent, Frost, and Pedersen/Dawes, who aren't fantastic, but to have both injured hurt our structures. Then, of course, there was Petracca.

Last edited:
You spout some self-serving rubbish.

You finished on 78% and we finished on 77%.

We won 35 quarters for the year and you won 33. This stat is a good measure of consistency. To say we were a "lot less consistent" is patent nonsense. It's no surprise that the bottom 5 of the "quarters won" ladder are bottom 5 on the premiership ladder.

We had far more impressive wins, because we have an exciting emerging team. We also had some poor losses because we're young, don't have a great senior core and it's a long year for young teams.

We also had significant injuries to players like Viney, Tyson, vandenBerg, Salem, Jetta, Kent, Frost, and Pedersen/Dawes, who aren't fantastic, but to have both injured hurt our structures. Then, of course, there was Petracca.

Jones also played all year with a neck injury.

Trying to compare point 2 is a bit of a wasted exercise, particularly for smaller clubs like St Kilda and Melbourne. It's silly to say the Saints win "hands down", unless you've investigated the backrooms of each club at length. All I can say is that I wouldn't swap our coaching panel, CEO and recruiting staff for quids. Since the commencement of this rebuild two years ago, they haven't put a foot wrong (although Lumumba is looking questionable). Jackson in his first year in charge achieved a statutory profit of $285k which represented a turnaround of $1.9m from the operating result of 2013. Club revenue grew by $2.3m in that year. Considering the trainwreck he took over, that is remarkable.

Richo is doing a good job no doubt. We'll wait to see just how well Goodwin will do, but he is in the process of forming a strong bond with the players, particularly the core group that is going to propel the club forward.
Ok ok ill give you 2 out of 3 aswell. So that makes it Saints 2 out of 3 ( we miss out on point 1 - the playing list) Brisbane 2 out of 3 ( they miss out on number 3 - a goodcoach) and Melbourne 2 out of 3 ( same as Brissy - you miss out on the coach but Goodwin may end up doing ok so all in all Ill put you ahead by whisker!) Final scores: Saints 2, Lions 2, Deemons 2.0001.

I think a key part of this thread that hasn't been talked about is coaches. IMO Richo is by far the best coach out of these 3 teams. He is a great tactician that gets the best out of his players. He drills the basics into the players as well as doing all the defensive sides of things. IMO Richo is a top 5 coach in the AFL.

Both teams have some exciting times ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a key part of this thread that hasn't been talked about is coaches. IMO Richo is by far the best coach out of these 3 teams. He is a great tactician that gets the best out of his players. He drills the basics into the players as well as doing all the defensive sides of things. IMO Richo is a top 5 coach in the AFL.

Both teams have some exciting times ahead.
Hasn't one of these coaches won a flag? Prople write Roos off laughably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Injuries and the improvement from the younger group will determine who has the better season in 2016. Very hard to split them.

Why isn't Collingwood on the list? They will start the year flying then struggle to win a game in the second half of the year like the last 2 years. They will be further away than any of the teams listed at the end of 2016.

Now that I think about it, why these teams since they finished 6, 5 and 2?

I don't mind or anything, but is GC missed because it is assumed they had a shocker and will bounce back? Or Bombers finish was a kind of anomaly? What's the significance of Melbourne, Saints and Brisbane? Is there a deep rivalry thing going that I didn't know about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be closer to playing in finals end of 2016 season? Lions, StK or Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back