Who will challenge the champs in 08'

Remove this Banner Ad

Dude, do you follow the footy? Geelong, Port, WC, Roos

Hence the qualifying final between WC and port

i think they mean after the finals, not after round 22.

west coast finished 5th after finals.

I think with better luck injury wise, west coast will challenge geelong seriously, collingwood (unfortunately), port and maybe st.kilda and hawthorn.

EDIT: sorry josh_eagles, didn't see your post ^

You can't right West Coast off. Theyw will bounce back next year. Also look for the Lions to make inroads.

I think footy is gonna change hugely next year it already has this year. We have seen the death of boring choking footy made popular by WCE, swans and the crows. Next year teams with good solid spines and good foward are going to be contesting the flag. I think the threat are Collingwood, St Kilda and Hawthorn. WCE could be a threat but only if they change their defensive style. The attacking style made popular by Geelong defeats the defensive style as demonstrated by this year.

Every year everyone tips either the teams who finished top 4 this year or teams that have shown stark improvement or unexpectedly bad years to contend. Most years someone unpredicted from the bottom makes top 4 e.g.

Roos 2007
Freo 2006
Crows 2005
Pies 2002 etc

I want to know who that team is i.e. Ess, Carl, Rich, Bulldogs.
One of them will prob rise spectacularly, as much as the thought makes me want to vomit I think it will be the Blues.

Brisbane - Only side who i would be on to topple Geelong next year. They have installed plenty of youth since the glory days a few years ago. Ready to challenge again. No weaknesses anywhere, coached by a champion and will fight Geelong for the hard ball contests across the ground.

Collingwood with it's young stars should improve from this year. Look a little lacking in the middle, need a ruckman and another good midfielder.

West Coast will go backwards now that the AFL will enforce drug testing...

Saints have no depth, ruckman, midfield pace and missing a key defender, so it's unlikely...

Roos don't have enough hard ball winners...

Hawks don't have enough run in the middle...

Adelaide have no forward line...

Sydney don't have enough good players, just not enough quality...

Bulldogs need more hard ball winners and key position players...

Port must drop the chip possesion game as it was shown up to be a miserable tactic against a good side. Need more effort, intensity from lesser players. Most of it is psychological, if Mark Williams can learn from this years grand final and sort it out then they could be a different team next year...

Everyone else does not have the playing list to challenge.

:)

Saints have no depth, ruckman, midfield pace and missing a key defender, so it's unlikely...

if that's the case then you will have to put up with your ruckman from this year that actually played. if you get what I mean.

if that's the case then you will have to put up with your ruckman from this year that actually played. if you get what I mean.

If i could, i would gladly give you Gardiner back, i personally would not chase a recycled drug addict but the saint recruiter thought otherwise. :)

I think footy is gonna change hugely next year it already has this year. We have seen the death of boring choking footy made popular by WCE, swans and the crows. Next year teams with good solid spines and good foward are going to be contesting the flag. I think the threat are Collingwood, St Kilda and Hawthorn. WCE could be a threat but only if they change their defensive style. The attacking style made popular by Geelong defeats the defensive style as demonstrated by this year.

Pure free running attacking footy gets you flogged in finals. (see Kangaroos and Port).

geelongs win was as much about the defensive attack on the ball at stoppages and their backline running it out quickly. (see also Collingwood).

IF West coast develops a functioning forward line that doesn't have iQ running to the wings to get the ball , they have the midfield (even without Judd) and backline (need more run though) to be right up there again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood will be there abouts, though they'll need T.Cloke to take another big step forward because I can't see the Pies going all the way with Rocca in the goalsquare; a bigger flat track bully there is not.
Another ruckman to support Fraser wouldn't hurt either.

Even without the juddernaut, WCE will still challenge.

Brisbane will be definite dark horses. Gun forward with some exciting young talent.

If i could, i would gladly give you Gardiner back, i personally would not chase a recycled drug addict but the saint recruiter thought otherwise. :)

nah you can keep him.
already influenced one star too many over here.

Outside of Port:

WCE are the big danger. Did really well this year and were tough as hell to beat in September despite being badly injury hit.

I think Collingwood but they may take a little longer. Clement coming out will hurt. Burns and Buckley could call it a day. Maybe Wakelin also. Anthony Rocca's best footy is behind him. Don't get me wrong they have so much great talent they will be an even bigger force than this year eventually but if they lose in put from this group next year it could be hard to replace them immediately.

Hawthorn are a definite threat. Just so much improvement in them and stacks of talent.

If Freo decide they want to play they are as big a challenge as anyone.

Brisbane will improve again but I still think they will need a bit more time.

At the moment hate to say it, Hawks...

Then again no injuries and a positive draw helps...

Need to finish top 4 and get that win for a weeks rest...

why would you be mocking the idea that c'wood will challenge? i mean, for starters they seriously challenged the cats as recently as friday week ago
this is just an essendon fan's natural hatred for all things black and white, right?
because the pies have the best young list, bar none, and mosta those kids have now had a pretty fair crack at senior footy thanks to the way their 07 season panned out, AND they've got 3-4 still up their sleeve...dawes and reid have hardly been seen, anthony and wellingham are very highly regarded, and chris egan is a gun if he gets back fit
they have arguably the best young team-oriented CHF in the league, some of the slickest young mids, and those close to the club are very happy with the young backmen....and then there's marty clarke, who could be anything
they need a decent ruckman to help fraser, that's about it

seriously, i'd have c'wood faves, or at least equal faves with geelong for 08 right now, hawthorn and the weagles probly next

Brisbane - Only side who i would be on to topple Geelong next year. They have installed plenty of youth since the glory days a few years ago. Ready to challenge again. No weaknesses anywhere, coached by a champion and will fight Geelong for the hard ball contests across the ground.

Collingwood with it's young stars should improve from this year. Look a little lacking in the middle, need a ruckman and another good midfielder.

Roos don't have enough hard ball winners...

Hawks don't have enough run in the middle...

Adelaide have no forward line...

Sydney don't have enough good players, just not enough quality...

Bulldogs need more hard ball winners and key position players...

Port must drop the chip possesion game as it was shown up to be a miserable tactic against a good side. Need more effort, intensity from lesser players. Most of it is psychological, if Mark Williams can learn from this years grand final and sort it out then they could be a different team next year...

Everyone else does not have the playing list to challenge.

:)

You didn't watch to many Roos matches this year, if you think we lack hard ball winners.

I think that Collingwood, Port and probably West Coast will be up there again, and I think Brisbane looks poised to be the team that storms into the top 4.

I think Hawthorn might have a slight let down next season before embarking on what should be a golden run from 2009 onwards.

Hard to see anyone except hawthorn and Collingwood... i think the doggies will be up there too. The roos are a tough one to read. I don't think they'll be as good as they were this year, its hard to tell where they may finish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will challenge the champs in 08'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back