Who will win the Club Champion Award?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Yesterday I received an email from the club, informing me that the annual Club Champion Award dinner was being moved forwards to Fri 3rd September. Quite aside from indicating that the AFC have formally given up on the finals, it prompted me to wonder who might actually win the award this year.

As I see it, there is no clear favourite. There is a field of about 4-5 players who could win it, but all have suffered poor form or missed games through injury at one point or another in the season. This makes it a very difficult thing to predict.

The likely candidates as I see them are:
Simon Goodwin - I have no doubt that he will be leading the count at the end of our horror 0-6 start to the season and will have continued to poll well after that. His importance to the side has now become glaringly obvious in his absence. However, he's missed the last 3 games and it now appears likely that he has already played his last game in the Blue, Red and Gold. Can he possibly win the award, having played just 16 of 22 games this season?

Scott Thompson - Thompson started the season in relatively poor form (probably related to his knee tendinitis), before coming home like a freight train over the last month. Will his slow start to the season come back to haunt him?

Graham Johncock - Stiffy has only had 2 poor games - vs Hawthorn in R12 and vs Port in R17. Other than that he's been outstanding in every game he's played. But that's the catch - he's missed 7 games out of 19 so far due to injury and suspension. Will his outstanding form in the remaining 10 games be enough to get him over the line?

Ben Rutten - Truck has rarely played a bad game. He's spent less time on the bench than any other player in the AFL and he is always reliable and consistent. The only times he ever has his flag lowered are when the midfield loses it completely and the opposition are able to present the ball to their forwards on a silver platter (eg vs Footscray in R5). Truck has provided outstanding leadership in defence, holding things together even when all the other senior defenders were watching from the grandstand. However, history shows that he's not a big vote winner, even when he does perform well. Will history be re-written? Can he poll enough votes to win his first yellow jacket?

Richard Douglas - Pizza Boy would have to be the smokey in the field. If I'd suggested 12 months ago that he might win the yellow jacket then you'd probably be arranging a straight jacket for me before I finished typing. 2010 has been different though - Dougy has stood up when all others around him were faltering. He's performed to a consistent standard pretty much since the start of the season. Will his consistency be enough to see him win the award, with all the other candidates failing to poll in so many rounds?

So.. who do you think will win the Club Champion award - and why?

Douglas or Johncock IMO.

Could easily be Thompson but I think Goodwin might've stolen a few points off him throughout the year. Would be surprised and a bit disappointed if Goodwin wins it.

Doubt it will be anyone else.

Thompson will romp it in. Goodwin will miss too many games as will stiffy. Douglas only had a 4-5 week outstanding period.

Douglas or Johncock IMO.

Could easily be Thompson but I think Goodwin might've stolen a few points off him throughout the year. Would be surprised and a bit disappointed if Goodwin wins it.

Doubt it will be anyone else.
Under our system you cant steal votes off people

each player is ranked out of 5 (or is it 4?) and it's on how they perform their role.

I'd say over the balance of the season Thommo with Dougie top 3.

Honourable mentions to Goodwin and Johncock who have played a number of excellent games each but who shouldn't win due to the number they've missed.

1. Rutten (absolute rock)
2. Thompson (poor start but excellent 2nd half)
3. Douglas (breakout year)
4. Goodwin (would have been leading prior to injury)
5. Reilly (finally over his injury troubles)
6. Johncock (missed a few too many games)
---daylight---
7. Doughty
8. Dangerfield
9. Mackay
10. Tippett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What points voting system are they using this year?

I think you could possibly add Reilly as a smokie too.

1. Thompson
2. Rutten
3. Douglas
4. Goodwin
5. Johncock
6. Dangerfield
7. Maric
8. Reilly
9. McLeod
10. van Berlo

BTM - Rutten or Reilly

Bicks Award - Sloane

Thompson.

His "slow" start to the year is a little overstated (He had 23 posessions, 2 goals against Freo in round 1). While he wasn't at his brilliant best early, he's only had one really poor game (v Hawthorn), and only 2 games under 20 touches (10 v Hawthorn, 17 v Carlton but with 2 goals and 7 tackles).

He's in the top 5 in the club in every significant stat other than marks, contested marks and hitouts, and leads the team in possessions, clearances (by the length of the Flemington straight), contested possessions, and is 2nd in tackles - and only Dogga has more 1%ers, the traditional domain of the defender.

The fact that he's now leading the coaches award from Goodwin with a clear gap to the rest might well indicate the top 2 in the B+F at this stage.

I expect Douglas, Goodwin, Reilly, Rutten and perhaps Doughty to be in the mix. Injury has cost Goodwin, and the only thing to count against Rutten is that he's tended to be really good in some of the games we've lost (such as the last 2), and not as critical as others in our better wins - so he might get a few lower marks

Radar is another player like Thompson, who has improved significantly as the season has gone on. He's been playing as a tagger all year, but at the start of the season he had very little impact on his opponent's output. Fast forward to last weekend and he's being (rightly) credited with doing a great job of limiting Boyd's impact on the game.

I would expect his voting to start slowly, building momentum as the season gets longer. Whether he has enough votes to get over Rutten or Thompson & Goodwin is debatable.

Never considered the possibility of Reilly winning it. He's a real smokey.
Has done some fantastic tagging jobs this year, and the AFC seem to really love him, top 5 for sure IMO. I'd have it as:

1. Douglas
  2. Rutten
  3. Goody
  4. Reilly
  5. Thommo
With Stiffy finishing just behind Thommo in 6th. Stevens will also finish in the top 10, and Doughty might sneak in there too. Hard to say who the others will be.

Doughty or Stevens so NC can justify giving them another 1 year contract because we don't give second rate players contracts after 30 and only first rate players win the club champion award.

Over the last few years, this award has been rigged or manipulated to find a result to best suit the coaches desire. IMO its the best player who the coach wants, not the best outright player for the overall season.

Doughty or Stevens so NC can justify giving them another 1 year contract because we don't give second rate players contracts after 30 and only first rate players win the club champion award.

Over the last few years, this award has been rigged or manipulated to find a result to best suit the coaches desire. IMO its the best player who the coach wants, not the best outright player for the overall season.
How's that tin foil hat fitting? Conspiracy theory, much? Which of our club champions do you feel was NOT the best player during that particular overall season? I can't think of any - not one.

It's fair enough to say that only first-rate players win the club champion award, though the 1995 result (Matthew Connell) is evidence against it - all it really takes is for a player to have a very good season. The reverse is definitely not true - a player does not have to win the club champion award in order to be a first rate player. Tyson Edwards never won it, neither did Darren Jarman, or Shaun Rehn and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't rate these players as first-rate.

Just because players are unfashionable and you personally don't rate their performance does not mean that their contributions should not be recognised by the coaching staff.

As for the rest of your argument..

The club stated last year that the rule about not signing players aged 30+ unless they were A-graders was discontinued last year. It was originally put in place to help us manage the glut of older players who were simultaneously approaching their 30th birthday. In 2011 Doughty will be the only player on our list aged 30+, so this is no longer an issue.

Secondly, Stevens turns 29 in January, so he's not subject to this rule anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will win the Club Champion Award?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back