Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Who wins the 2020 Flag - Prelim finals onward

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Brisbane Lions

Votes: 57 16.3%
  • Richmond Tigers

Votes: 154 44.1%
  • Geelong Cats

Votes: 102 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the way the competition is now just about any team can beat any other "on their day", what have St Kilda done that makes them any different?
They smashed Richmond and beat Port away. A difficult team to stop when they get going. I think they've been fairly consistent given the circumstances.

They smashed Richmond and beat Port away. A difficult team to stop when they get going. I think they've been fairly consistent given the circumstances.
beat richmond by 4 goals when a lot of teams were still finding their mojo post restart, and port actually seem to play away better than home sometimes. They also lost to north and freo and got smashed by collingwood, so I don't think they've been that consistent. I agree they have looked good but I don't think they've shown anything that suggests they're significantly any better chance than the other teams in that 2nd tier of teams competing for the flag yet.

beat richmond by 4 goals when a lot of teams were still finding their mojo post restart, and port actually seem to play away better than home sometimes. They also lost to north and freo and got smashed by collingwood, so I don't think they've been that consistent. I agree they have looked good but I don't think they've shown anything that suggests they're significantly any better chance than the other teams in that 2nd tier of teams competing for the flag yet.
They've been the most reliable from an offensive perspective. They've kicked the most goals. Anyway, I don't think their chances are very high, hence why I called them the dark horse.
Richmond, West Coast, Geelong, Collingwood, Port and Brisbane are the contenders IMO. GWS as well. I forgot they beat Richmond in my original post.

Bulldogs and Essendon aren't very likely to contend. St Kilda in between the two.

Brisbane don't have enough quality in the forward line and probably not enough in defence either. And they haven't shown that they can go with the gun teams in big games. I'm not sure about the coach as well. Seems like a good bloke but tactically not astute. Last night's tactics really played into Richmond's hands, allowing us an open forward line, letting us spread from the contest and then why did he pick so many young talls.

This premiership will be a hard fought one. The dominant teams don’t necessarily have the advantage. They will need to play it smart. I can already see oppo supporters saying this won’t count.

WC v Richmond would be brillant. If it's at the Gabba, Tigers win it, they seem to play the ground well. In Perth, Eagles win comfortably.
You understand that if the GF was in Perth and it was a 60,000 full house, then the usual ticketing allocations would occur right? Based on previous years at the MCG and scaled for Optus:
  • Club members of both teams would get ~10,000 tickets
  • Corporates would get up to ~18,000
  • AFL members up to ~14,000
  • Other clubs up to ~4000
  • This doesn't include MCC members so maybe those would be given to Club Members as extras (approx. 2000 each)
The split might be something like 20k Tigers, 30k Eagles, 10k Neutrals. The usual atmosphere of 55k+ Eagles would not apply - this affects the players, umpires etc. and turns the game from a cauldron into a far more neutral experience, as we see in every grand final. So I wouldn't be too confident given your greatest advantage (the crowd) is markedly reduced.

Lastly, because of COVID, who knows if they would even be allowed to have a full house or have people come in. Let's wait and see.

WC v Richmond would be brillant. If it's at the Gabba, Tigers win it, they seem to play the ground well. In Perth, Eagles win comfortably.

I agree. I am really hoping for this grand final, if the Tigers make it. In my opinion, the best two teams over the past 3-4 years and I think it is about time we clashed on the big stage.

You understand that if the GF was in Perth and it was a 60,000 full house, then the usual ticketing allocations would occur right? Based on previous years at the MCG and scaled for Optus:
  • Club members of both teams would get ~10,000 tickets
  • Corporates would get up to ~18,000
  • AFL members up to ~14,000
  • Other clubs up to ~4000
  • This doesn't include MCC members so maybe those would be given to Club Members as extras (approx. 2000 each)
The split might be something like 20k Tigers, 30k Eagles, 10k Neutrals. The usual atmosphere of 55k+ Eagles would not apply - this affects the players, umpires etc. and turns the game from a cauldron into a far more neutral experience, as we see in every grand final. So I wouldn't be too confident given your greatest advantage (the crowd) is markedly reduced.

Lastly, because of COVID, who knows if they would even be allowed to have a full house or have people come in. Let's wait and see.

Well yeah, never did I think the GF would be full of WC supporters on GF day. That's common sense. I would be confident winning at Optus even with zero crowd. Think you underestimate the effect of waking up in your own bed GF day and playing on an the oval you are used to.

Last edited:
we lost to north and freo cos we got ahead of ourselves, we were smashing them and then turned off. Definitely not a good trait to have but it's not an issue of ability, rather concentration. Hopefully we've resolved that. The collingwood game was the only one where we didn't show up. We were in an arm wrestle with a tough port for three quarters then hit another gear and blew them away. You can only beat who are put in front of you, but port are top of the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be nice to get a Richmond v West Coast grand final, at this rate it could be very possible.

Sort of like Geelong v Collingwood 2011 I reckon in terms of 'squaring off' to be the best team of that era.

Certainly not discounting Port or Brisbane though. Geelong top 4 but not sure how they take the next step past the prelim they have so often failed at. Collingwood a long way off it with 2 months to fix it. St Kilda a dark horse in that their reputation hasn't been made yet, but similar to Richmond 2017 or Dogs 2016, they may yet make that reputation.

Saints are in the same boat as Port for me. Having a great season, but I don't think they will win 3-4 consecutive finals against the mix of Collingwood, Richmond, Eagles, Brisbane, Geelong + whoever else they could face.

Saints are in the same boat as Port for me. Having a great season, but I don't think they will win 3-4 consecutive finals against the mix of Collingwood, Richmond, Eagles, Brisbane, Geelong + whoever else they could face.
Yep I agree. They can win a final or two, but I doubt they can win anymore.
I'd say Port are genuine contenders ahead of St Kilda simply because they're my favourite to earn a double chance. Win one final and you're into a prelim.

Very even season, many GF prospects.

I reckon timing form is the most important element.

Tiges look good, can get better. Still time for a form lapse.

Pies have a month and if they get it together, anything is possible.

Port a bit like tiges, time to lose form.

The real GF prospects will emerge in Sept. Right now it feels like a dog's breakfast.

As a Tigers fan...this season seems very unpredictable, Watching us beat the Lions has shown we are coming into our usual mid year mojo when Dusty starts to fire up and the rest around him stand up.

Also knowing that Prestia, Edwards,Houli and Astbury are still to come back ... That are all A grade Tigers.. then we have Caddy, Nankervis to also come in...who are good but inconsistent..

Who ever wins this year's GF , It will be good for the team but for all of us as fans.. it is going to suck knowing majority of us won't have any chance of seeing any finals or even a match this year..

I personally would not be too salty if St.Kilda won it.. I think everyone wands to see Ratten succeed after what Carlton did to him and the tragedy of losing his son.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Back