Who's got the better chance? Hawks or Roos?

Remove this Banner Ad

Light years doesn't even begin to cover it. The best of that trio is Thompson by far, and we dumped him to make way for our new key forwards....

Get your facts right first!! You did not dump him.

Light years doesn't even begin to cover it. The best of that trio is Thompson by far, and we dumped him to make way for our new key forwards....

So you don't think having Thompson in the forward line with Buddy and your other forwards wouldn't improve you significantly? We got rid of Mooney to make way for Colbert, we could certainly do with Mooney right now which shows it doesn't mean squat about whether Thompson was 'dumped' (which is not the case anyway).

Thompson and Wells at their best would be in our Top 3 best players along with Harvey and whether Thompson used to play for Hawthorn means nothing at all, I don't see the relevance of it at all.

Hawthorn's record against other teams in the top 8:
5 wins, 4 losses. (56%)

Kangaroos record against other teams in the top 8:
3 wins, 7 losses. (30%)

Hawthorn's record against top 4 teams
3 wins, 1 loss (75%)

Kangaroos record against top 4 teams
2 wins, 5 losses (29%)

Head to head North pulled our pants down. But against all other teams in the 8 I think the hawks record shows that we've got a better chance.

So you don't think having Thompson in the forward line with Buddy and your other forwards wouldn't improve you significantly? We got rid of Mooney to make way for Colbert, we could certainly do with Mooney right now which shows it doesn't mean squat about whether Thompson was 'dumped' (which is not the case anyway).

Thompson and Wells at their best would be in our Top 3 best players along with Harvey and whether Thompson used to play for Hawthorn means nothing at all, I don't see the relevance of it at all.

The relevance is that the best of the only 3 players you guys could offer up as 'absences', in an attempt to counter ours, is a bloke we didn't even want. What does that say about him, and the other 2?

Thge whole finals series is finlely poised. Geelonmg are out in front but surrounded by their bogey teams.
The second third position says it all - nothing seperating them but a couple of 'incidents' will mean one gets the home final - not that that guarantees anything.

The whole finals series will be punctuated by insidents like at the end of Ports two games.

Port are 4 wins from the flag - in a months time will we be saying they won the flag which was decided in less than 5 minutes of football ?

5 wins, 4 losses. (56%)

3 wins, 7 losses. (30%)

3 wins, 1 loss (75%)

2 wins, 5 losses (29%)

Head to head North pulled our pants down. But against all other teams in the 8 I think the hawks record shows that we've got a better chance.

Probably fair. We did lose to Port, Collingwood and Hawthorn in consecutive weeks at the start of the season, but since then our form and gameplan has improved dramatically. We'll just have to wait and see.

5 wins, 4 losses. (56%)

3 wins, 7 losses. (30%)

3 wins, 1 loss (75%)

2 wins, 5 losses (29%)

So we played the top 4 teams 7 times to your 4 with 3 of your games against top 4 teams coming at your home ground of Tassie and 4 of ours coming at Skilled, Subiaco, Tassie and AAMI?

Interesting.

Hawks for sure, are North even playing finals?

;)

North cannot buy respect in this town. They do not have nearly as glamorous a line-up as Hawthorn. Their midfield is not masturbated over like Hodge and...um...all those other Hawk midfielders are. Yet they win hard games and are top 4.

I guess (and I'm guessing, because I'm among the 99% of people who haven't even seen North play this season;)) they have superior fitness and a very honest game plan.

Hawthorn beat the Pies by playing out of their skins and playing a skilled, high risk brand of footy that didn't even let us get a mitt on the thing at times.

They also kicked beautifully for goal, their accuracy shamed us, and really won them the game. However Lethal once sagely observed you can't rely on accuracy to win games. Huis sides prove fitness and pressure count for more in finals than class and skills.

I think in a tight contest North might grind the hawks to dust. However Hawthorn has the players to beat any side. They have the beefy rucks, enough quality in the centere to get their share of clearances against the best and the deadly tall forwards, so if it all goes their way they can blow any side away.

I have a feeling they are more fragile too, and if their wheels come off they'll be flogged big time.

I guess I'm tipping North to go further because they are less likely to lose to a worse side, or crack under huge pressure. I reckon they have less chance to win the flag if they get there because the opposition will be a crack side (Eagles or Cats) but Hawthorn is more likely to bomb out early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it quite funny that North constantly bring up the game in Tassie to their arguement. Take Judd, Kerr and Cousins out of west coast and they are easy beats. You played us Without 4 of our best players. You were missing your fringe players. Take out Harvey, Petrie and big hamish and play us with a full strength and we will destroy you Hands down. As much as you love your club, A full strength Roo's Vs a full strength Hawthorn would be alot different to the game in Tassie

whoever gets 4th spot has the best chance neither side can win the flag without the second chance.Both have an outside chance with it .

I dont agree that the top 3 are well ahead either, seeing as the Hawks have only beaten all 3 and just lost Port in the last seconds.

The relevance is that the best of the only 3 players you guys could offer up as 'absences', in an attempt to counter ours, is a bloke we didn't even want. What does that say about him, and the other 2?

You are a smart one.

I guess we should apply the same logic to discarded duds like Gilham, Croad, Guerra, Sewell and Smith?

I find it quite funny that North constantly bring up the game in Tassie to their arguement. Take Judd, Kerr and Cousins out of west coast and they are easy beats. You played us Without 4 of our best players. You were missing your fringe players. Take out Harvey, Petrie and big hamish and play us with a full strength and we will destroy you Hands down. As much as you love your club, A full strength Roo's Vs a full strength Hawthorn would be alot different to the game in Tassie

I've never read a greater lot of shit in my life. Well I have, and it generally comes from people that support the same team as you do. But to my point, I'd like to know why this thread, and the majority like them, are always started by morons who go over to another clubs forum, spray paint some idiotic dribble in an attempt to appear "funny", then get made to look stupid, so start a thread elsewhere. :eek:

So we played the top 4 teams 7 times to your 4 with 3 of your games against top 4 teams coming at your home ground of Tassie and 4 of ours coming at Skilled, Subiaco, Tassie and AAMI?

Interesting.

what a lovely rhetorical question.

Can't wait to play the Roos in the finals - IF they make it past Adelaide in week one.

Hmmm, last time you played Adelaide they beat you 54-100 at your gold coast home.

Interesting.

Can't wait to play the Roos in the finals - IF they make it past Adelaide in week one.

Hmmm, last time you played Adelaide they beat you 54-100 at your gold coast home.

Interesting.

Yeah, well don't get too ahead of yourself there with that scenario...what has happened the last 5 or is it 6 times you have played Sydney?

Yep because Thompson has not improved at all since he left Hawthorn. Love those junk goals he has kicked, ie v Collingwood 2005. Are you aware that since leaving Hawthorn, Thompson has kicked 54 and 52 goals. That is more than 10 goals he ever kicked in a season for Hawthorn.

Interesting.

Remember this: Loss 31-102 Adelaide

The team that finishes fourth will have the better chance, that said, the Roos do have finals experience and a game style more suited to finals football.

The Hawks record against other finalists is good so they can go into those games reasonably confident, it will be interesting to see how the team reacts to finals footy.
The Kangaroos are always competitive and have shown they can win or at least match it with teams on the road.

In the end they're probably similarly placed for a shot at the flag, but for completely different reasons.

Top 4 would be very handy for either, also a bonus to not have to travel to SA or WA in week 1.

We're the only club in contention that didn't get any seconds on Melbourne/Richmond or Carlton.

Must be harsh to only play Eagles and Cats once at York Park. ;)

In regards to the Tasmanian game, bare in mind we played without Boyle, Mitchell and Franklin. The result me thinks would be different now.

The same Boyle that managed 1 mark and 5 disposals in your rampaging win over the Bulldogs? Kid has some long-term potential but he is at best a servicable player at this point in time.

Mitchell didn't play but you had other players playing the in and under roles and did a good job, you had more clearances than us, more disposals, more first possession, more hitouts. You just got smashed at the contested possessions and the pressure caused a lot of turnovers and you lost almost every key position duel.

Franklin was probably your biggest loss for the game but the way the ball was going inside 50 he would have probably been as useful as Roughead, ie not very.

It is not like we played with our number 1 side either. According to the club we may also have Thommo, Gibson and Harding back for the finals, Wells also didn't play in that game.

As I said IMO the percentage gap tells a tale, Hawthorn have the capacity to pile on quick goals in a short period of time - without being in front for a large majority of the game, that IMO what makes the Hawks dangerious.

Our percentage is not very good but not surprising given we have been through the entire season without our two highest goal kickers from last year.

You have also played Geelong once, before they were peaking and at York Park. You played Eagles once, when they were injury depleted at York Park, in the wet. Your team floods, it cuts down the score the opposition will score. Your team over-possesses the ball, cuts down on how much the opposition get the ball.

There are a lot of factors which result in how your percentage pads out, will those factors make you better able to win a final under intense pressure? I dunno...

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's got the better chance? Hawks or Roos?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back