• Brent Ratten

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • Mark Williams

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 30 10.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he was just covering his ass. He wanted Roos and did it all for Roos.

Yeah it's like what Maynard states in APC's Judith: He did it all for Roos.

Do you really think Lethal and co. will appoint a coach they can't even understand?

It depends on who the other available candidates are, especially if they still want to follow this succession plan. Roos and Eade out of the race - it may come down to the fact that Craig is one of only a few names available...

It depends on who the other available candidates are, especially if they still want to follow this succession plan. Roos and Eade out of the race - it may come down to the fact that Craig is one of only a few names available...

Whether it be in Dec. or prior, this wont see the light of day. We should be peaking in 2yrs time, not changing over coaches :thumbsdown:

I wonder how much autonomy the coaching appointment panel has.

More specifically, I wonder if they've been given very defined terms of reference by the board with criteria to measure the prospects against (which may include a succession model).

More specifically, I wonder if they've been given very defined terms of reference by the board with criteria to measure the prospects against (which may include a succession model).

Jeez this Board using criteria to assess anybody or anything is a f*^ing scary thought. I am still struggling to conceptualise the KPIs for Vossy.

Would be interesting to see what people on this board think of the pros and cons of the possible coaches for next year: woosha, choco, tudor, a simpson, craigy (and whoever else may be in contention). I think a few balanced views would change the outlook on some of them....except Matthew Knights :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was obviously on the 'Paul Roos' bandwagon to begin with, but now that his appointment has been 'botched', I'm far more in favour of getting a young coach to the Lions who has cut his teeth as an assistant coach at a successful club for the past few years.

I find it harsh to read posts from those who say that there 'aren't any coaches out there'. Well I reckon the 100 or so experienced assistants in AFL land would beg to differ.

Let's not forget that the current coaches at each of the competition's best two teams - Alastair Clarkson and Chris Scott - arrived at their respective clubs after an apprenticeship. Clarkson won the role at the Hawks ahead of former club greats Rodney Eade and Terry Wallace, while Scott beat out former Cats favourite sons such as Brenton Sanderson and Ken Hinkley.

Both decisions were met with some resistenace from the fans of these two clubs, but I doubt any would be too critical now.

I know that these types of decisions can go either way, but I'd much prefer an untried Senior Coach as opposed to someone like Rodney Eade or Neil Craig who have coached before but proven they can't win a flag!

I wouldn't know the first thing about guys like Leigh Tudor, Adam Simpson, Peter Sumich or even Alan Richardson, but if they're considered the best people for the job, I hope Lions fans don't get outraged if either are appointed just because they've never coached a senior team to a premiership before.

Plus, with such a young list, I would think that a younger coach might relate to the players a bit better than someone with an old-school approach.

I wonder about that too. If you are purely assessing credentials Williams would have to be front of mind for the panel. If he's not being considered it's likely to be for a non-footy reason, so there must be some non-footy considerations the panel is looking at. Who is directing those?

I was obviously on the 'Paul Roos' bandwagon to begin with, but now that his appointment has been 'botched', I'm far more in favour of getting a young coach to the Lions who has cut his teeth as an assistant coach at a successful club for the past few years.

I find it harsh to read posts from those who say that there 'aren't any coaches out there'. Well I reckon the 100 or so experienced assistants in AFL land would beg to differ.

Let's not forget that the current coaches at each of the competition's best two teams - Alastair Clarkson and Chris Scott - arrived at their respective clubs after an apprenticeship. Clarkson won the role at the Hawks ahead of former club greats Rodney Eade and Terry Wallace, while Scott beat out former Cats favourite sons such as Brenton Sanderson and Ken Hinkley.

Both decisions were met with some resistenace from the fans of these two clubs, but I doubt any would be too critical now.

I know that these types of decisions can go either way, but I'd much prefer an untried Senior Coach as opposed to someone like Rodney Eade or Neil Craig who have coached before but proven they can't win a flag!

I wouldn't know the first thing about guys like Leigh Tudor, Adam Simpson, Peter Sumich or even Alan Richardson, but if they're considered the best people for the job, I hope Lions fans don't get outraged if either are appointed just because they've never coached a senior team to a premiership before.

Plus, with such a young list, I would think that a younger coach might relate to the players a bit better than someone with an old-school approach.

Great post.

I think the issue is that Roos appeared to many to be close to a perfect solution for us. But just because he's not coming, it doesn't mean that we're completely bereft of options. The lack of a stand-out candidate certainly makes it harder for the club to find the right bloke. And without Roos, there is no real consensus among fans as to who the coach could be, meaning that any decision is going to upset some people. But that doesn't mean that the club will make a bad choice or that the new coach will be a bad outcome for the club. Without wanting to sound like an apologist for the club's decisions, there are potential positives out of this.

This. A fantastic post.

I would prefer the club/panel/board to pick a proven assistant coach than someone like Craig. Out of all the options out there, Craig is the only one I would be outraged at being appointed senior coach.

I think your thoughts are good ones Wight Nite and under normal circumstances I would favour the selection of the best of the untried assistant coaches out there over the rejects. My concern is that when the Board makes a decision that the current coach can't take us to the next level, you would hope like hell it is in favour of someone who will. How can that call be made when the successful candidate has never coached at senior level? Potential is a very nebulous concept and will be largely irrelevant if we are sitting 2 and 10 mid-way through the season. Vossy had his limitations but was largely responsible for getting the third or fourth youngest side in the competition within a kick of the finals. Hope we get this selection right but I'm struggling to see who out there apart from Roos is so clearly able to take us to the finals in a timeframe that Voss couldn't.

The process to prepare for preparing for the process has begun. It is expected to be thoroughly robust and robustly thorough.
Unfortuntely there will not be a running commentary on this, except for when we provide a running commentary which will be doing on a semi regular occurrence.

Looking at Leigh Tudor's resume it's hard not to find him a worthy candidate. I've said before it's difficult to judge assistant coaches because so much of their hard is behind the scenes but his whole coaching career seems to be surrounded with success. At Geelong in 2007 and coached theircVFL squad to a premiership, Then moved to the Saints who played in two (or three if you like) consecutive grand finals then became the midfield coach of the Swans who won a flag two years later. Pretty impressive. That hard tackling brand of footy the Swans play would mesh well with our current list; brings some valuable insight as well as an impressive development history. I think he's my new favourite for the role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's our Coach for 2014?

Back