Why cant we blaim injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

TIME IS NOW

Team Captain
Suspended
Jul 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some may be sick of saying its not an excuse etc etc.

The reality is its a massive excuse and reason, only in AFL does it seem a taboo subject despite all knowing.

Lebron James was injured in NBA for part of the season and Miama were poor without him.

We have MAJOR injuries to key personel and you can carry players like a Chrichton or Hinkley if at full strength but if asking those guys to be our play makers or having to try and carry 6-8 players, forget about it.

I was hoping to run into and out of sorts Melbourne today, but I was under no illusions as to the team we had on park and the potential for it to end as it did.

Is the season over? Its on a knives edge right now, we need to win the next 2 at home for sure. If we can get back some players and more importantly have no more MAJOR injuries we will be in finals and can go in close to full strength.

Barlow is going to lead a lazarus type comeback for this club.

I posted a similar thread after a loss a few weeks ago,you are 100% correct,no team could cope with this situation,no other team would cope with the losses just out of last weeks game,Balla,mundy and King Kep.Then to lose Grover and Crowley early......come on,this is a joke now.
We sent a B grade team to Tassie last year and accepted our medicine,this team today was a B team,bordering on B/C-!!!

Chrichton or Hinkley if at full strength but if asking those guys to be our play makers or having to try and carry 6-8 players, forget about it.

I was hoping to run into and out of sorts Melbourne today, but I was under no illusions as to the team we had on park and the potential for it to end as it did.

Is the season over? Its on a knives edge right now, we need to win the next 2 at home for sure. If we can get back some players and more importantly have no more MAJOR injuries we will be in finals and can go in close to full strength.

Barlow is going to lead a lazarus type comeback for this club.[/QUOTE]

Harvey is the coach and he not doing a good job if players keep getting hurt,If he did his job correct the injury list would be half the size, luck has nothing to do with how a player is coach

No doubt we can blame injuries and will.

But its more the uncontested brand of footy we're playing that's the problem. If we had 22 players that had a red hot go and weren't good enough then we could go away happy with the effort, knowing that if we had the personnel we might have got a win.
But the effort and care factor out there today was bordering on negative. Players were more concerned about not getting hurt and avoiding any sort of contact than actually getting the ball, and when the opposition got the ball making them pay for it. They got killed and they didn't care. And by a pissweak team at that.

Or to put it in the words of Patches O'Houlihan, some of those players were about as useful as a **** flavoured lollypop.

patches.jpg

Gotta get MEAN!

Chrichton or Hinkley if at full strength but if asking those guys to be our play makers or having to try and carry 6-8 players, forget about it.

Harvey is the coach and he not doing a good job if players keep getting hurt,If he did his job correct the injury list would be half the size, luck has nothing to do with how a player is coach[/QUOTE]

WTF do you mean by this?:mad:?

How the hell does Harvey's coaching have anything to do with players getting injured? F'ing voodoo dolls?:mad::mad:?

You can blame injuries when the team has a red-hot go and still gets beaten by a better side.

This is not what has happened in recent weeks. A lot of it is mental.

Harvey is the coach and he not doing a good job if players keep getting hurt,If he did his job correct the injury list would be half the size, luck has nothing to do with how a player is coach

WTF do you mean by this?:mad:?

How the hell does Harvey's coaching have anything to do with players getting injured? F'ing voodoo dolls?:mad::mad:?

Well, clearly Harvs has finally seen the light of guidance provided by that legend Mammaries, and now has the boys doing the "bone strengthening by head butting and kicking brick walls" exercises that our very own Memories proposed. Which is leading to the injuries, hence it is Harvey's fault (and Memories' fault too!!) :rolleyes::eek::eek:

Actually, a lot of the injuries are seemingly largely impact related (Suban, Mundy, Sandi, McPhee) - apart from Ballas, I think we've had relatively few soft tissue/overtraining strain type injuries this year I think - certainly nowhere near the rate of hammys that we had in 07, 08 and 09.

But its more the uncontested brand of footy we're playing that's the problem. If we had 22 players that had a red hot go and weren't good enough then we could go away happy with the effort, knowing that if we had the personnel we might have got a win.
But the effort and care factor out there today was bordering on negative. Players were more concerned about not getting hurt and avoiding any sort of contact than actually getting the ball, and when the opposition got the ball making them pay for it. They got killed and they didn't care. And by a pissweak team at that.

Or to put it in the words of Patches O'Houlihan, some of those players were about as useful as a **** flavoured lollypop.

patches.jpg

Gotta get MEAN!

Bingo.

It's the style of footy we're playing. Our last two wins were against Port and Essendon - both teams didn't show up, but at the end of the game, they still beat us in contested possession and clearances.

It's pathetic. Way too many players unwilling to win the ball. There was one bit of play where Fyfe won the ball and everyone spread free of him hoping to get on the end of his possession. No one around him in close providing physical support. The pressure came from Melbourne, and he couldn't clear it. As such, Melbourne got the ball from us.

The Freo footy club are currently a bunch of front running receivers. Just like the Connolly days. Nothing has changed.

We can't blame injury for not being awake in the first 10 minutes of the first quarter. The next quarter and a half we were better yet went in at the main break still four goals down.

They had time to regroup and come out widen the gap. We needed to come out and make sure we closed it.

We should never have been 4 goals down in 10 minutes. If we hadn't it may have been a much different game. Where does the blame lie ? has to be both the players and the coach

well, when you have the injury list we do, of course you can blame injuries.an example of the impact of injuries is so evident.we send a B team over to tassie last year against hawthorn and get belted.the side that plays melbourne today, is comparable to last years tassie team .a week later we have a multitude of ins and beat carlton.the following week we beat the hawks in an elimination final only two weeks on from the tassie debacle.the facts standout like dogs balls i reckon.

Gotta get MEAN!

Well said PAtches, I mean Rob - we played like we didn't want to get hurt. Two things normally happen when you play like that, namely, you get hurt and you lose, both of which happened to us. Time for us to get some balls.....now lets play some dodgeball!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some may be sick of saying its not an excuse etc etc.

The reality is its a massive excuse and reason, only in AFL does it seem a taboo subject despite all knowing.

Lebron James was injured in NBA for part of the season and Miama were poor without him.

We have MAJOR injuries to key personel and you can carry players like a Chrichton or Hinkley if at full strength but if asking those guys to be our play makers or having to try and carry 6-8 players, forget about it.

Line up and compare the Freo and Dees sides that played yesterday.

Do you think that the Dees sides was 80 pts better?

If not, then no, you cannot blame injuries.

We can't blame injury for not being awake in the first 10 minutes of the first quarter.

This.

Of course you can blame injuries. It's one of the reasons we're not running out games all that well AFAIC, and it was one of the main reasons we were always going to struggle to win that sort of game. But as I've said a few times 'round here, that start was truly pathetic. I can understand players struggling to keep up later in the game, but the work ethic in the opening quarter was as bad if not the worst I've seen this season. Still p****d with that first quarter effort and that had little to do with injuries.

I thought they were 120 points better on paper and we did well to keep them to only 80 point win!

Seriously what a dumb post.

No side on paper is 80 points better then anyone, but you get run ons and you create luck.

The side we put out there today was no different to a Gold Coast type side. If everything goes absolutely perfect we could be competitive, but if it doesnt we can easily get thumped.

Thats what happened today, thats inexperience, a bit of luck, some run on and nothing different to what your mob face every week.

I thought they were 120 points better on paper and we did well to keep them to only 80 point win!

Seriously what a dumb post.

No side on paper is 80 points better then anyone, but you get run ons and you create luck.

The side we put out there today was no different to a Gold Coast type side. If everything goes absolutely perfect we could be competitive, but if it doesnt we can easily get thumped.

Thats what happened today, thats inexperience, a bit of luck, some run on and nothing different to what your mob face every week.

That's a good post.

Essentially the margin is arbitrary because after a poor start a second fiddle team is going to be very vulnerable to things just going against them from then on. Throw in 2-3 other significant injuries along the way yadda yadda yadda, the opposition role on and the entire last quarter becomes junk time = blow out.

That's a good post.

Essentially the margin is arbitrary because after a poor start a second fiddle team is going to be very vulnerable to things just going against them from then on. Throw in 2-3 other significant injuries along the way yadda yadda yadda, the opposition role on and the entire last quarter becomes junk time = blow out.

Plus people talking about first 10 minutes etc being unacceptable. Thats football and run ons happen.

You just have to try and ride it out and when you get momentum do your damage.

Good sides ride it out better and score better.

We didnt put out a good side today, even when we dominated 2nd quarter we only won it by 1 goal and we were completely dominant.

It's the style of footy we're playing. Our last two wins were against Port and Essendon - both teams didn't show up, but at the end of the game, they still beat us in contested possession and clearances.

The Freo footy club are currently a bunch of front running receivers. Just like the Connolly days. Nothing has changed.

At half-time we were leading the clearances 20-8 against the Demons.

We didn't do anything right yesterday at all and we were certainly not contesting as well as we should. So do the Demon fans say to themselves "I hate our brand of footy, the Dockers didn't show up"?

We had lulls in the game against the Power and Bombers that made those counts go in their favour.

I just think with the players we have out, our 'contested' effort is nil. The players that come in are either outside players or just do not realize that they need to contribute.

At half-time we were leading the clearances 20-8 against the Demons.

We didn't do anything right yesterday at all and we were certainly not contesting as well as we should. So do the Demon fans say to themselves "I hate our brand of footy, the Dockers didn't show up"?

They probably should say that. They don't get accused of playing bruise free footy by other clubs for nothing.

Why does half time matter? That was our best half. The second quarter we won almost every clearance. Who cares? Did you not see the second half? They kicked 12 goals to our two.

We had lulls in the game against the Power and Bombers that made those counts go in their favour.

I just think with the players we have out, our 'contested' effort is nil. The players that come in are either outside players or just do not realize that they need to contribute.

Strange excuses. All of the blokes out there that replaced our outs Harvey has recruited. He was meant to bring a harder edge to the club. Not evident in the vast majority of players he's brought to the club. Quite a few of them were squibbing contests all day.

Man I hope Melbourne comes out and calls us soft or 'uncontested footy' style players or something of that ilk. We could use some motivation, lord knows it's currently lacking.

The Mrs was saying this on the bus on the way home from the G yesterday.
She is a kiwi, and has only really followed AFL since being with me.
Luckily she loves the colour purple so when I told her my team was Freo and the colours were purple she signed up instantly.

However her point for someone who has only followed the game for three years is exactly as Nickos has stated. We were on the bus and she turned and looked at me and said, "Sam, today was the first time in 3 years that I thought Freo were embarrassing. I know that I havent been through what you have been through with them since 1995, but in my 3 years as a member, today I am embarrassed."

I looked at her and had nothing to offer, believe me I dropped my bottom lip in the first minute of the the 3rd qtr and refused to pick it up when I left. So we sat on the bus in agreed silence.

My Mrs loves Pav, has openly said she would give anything to have his baby and often jokes that she will stalk him with a paper cup to get a 'donation' from him! But to hear her say she was embarrased by the team, and felt Pav was in the worst form she had ever seen him in made me hope that someone, anyone in that team this week comes out and says "Yes we were shit, we are embarrassed and we take FULL responsibility for that performance. We were soft and this is something Fremantle is not and will not stand for"

Remove this Banner Ad

Why cant we blaim injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back