Why Collingwood Are Screwed

Remove this Banner Ad

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
Let me just clarify a few things:

Firstly, I'm not saying that Tarrant for Power is THE trade you should be chasing - it was just an example of how you might have to trade an 'untradeable' to get some quality in return.

Secondly, I don't think Wirrpunda wil be traded, despite interest from several Victorian clubs.

Thirdly, if Collingwood were to pursue him you would have to offer a lot more than McGough or Walker. Seriously, where would "snail's pace" McGough fit into an Eagles side with such a strong midfield? And Walker, while talented, would be just another young, undeveloped KPP. We don't need either of these players.

Fourthly, I heard Davis wanted to go home to WA. That could be bull****, I don't know, but he's been offered as trade bait by Collingwood in seasons past. Either way, I don't think he would appeal to West Coast either.

In closing, I would re-iterate that Collingwood's forward line is not their problem - it's their lack of run and skill in the midfield. Buckley has got a couple more years in him, and Lockyer will be a good player, but it falls away from there.

O'Bree has had one good season and done nothing since, Woewodin is patchy and Licuria is honest but lacks polish. To be up there for the next few years, Collingwood desperately needs an injection of genuine pace, and some skill. The grunt and experience are there, just not the class.

Bruce would be a perfect fit, but you'll have to give at least your 1st round pick. The other one I might suggest is Callum Chambers from WCE. He's a Victorian boy, drafted by Mick, who has asked to be traded home. This is official - not rumour. He is a genuinely quick, attacking midfielder/wingman who has struggled to get a regular spot at WC.

I'm not suggesting you would part with a fantastic player for him, maybe a 2nd round pick? He's 24 and quite handy - I'm disappointed to see him go.

You can keep McGough and Davis - they're both crap.

If mccough and davis are crap why do you keep going on about them ffs.

Bruce would be okay, but he will stay at melbourne for sure.

As for our midfield we have rowe, leonard and the shaw boys brayden and heath coming through who show something plus whoever we draft this year so im not worried about the situation really.

And callum chambers, no thanks he soft.

Stan. said:
As for our midfield we have rowe, leonard and the shaw boys brayden and heath coming through who show something plus whoever we draft this year so im not worried about the situation really.

Plus Didak and potentially Cole, as well as the underrated BJ. Woey to do the hard work. And Holland and Licuria. Plenty there, just need a bit of polish with either pick 7 or whoever we trade pick 7 for.

hotpie said:
Plus Didak and potentially Cole, as well as the underrated BJ. Woey to do the hard work. And Holland and Licuria. Plenty there, just need a bit of polish with either pick 7 or whoever we trade pick 7 for.

woey
davis
didak
holland
bucks
cole
burns
likka
tarks
johnno
rowe
leonard
shaw b
shaw h

Plus whoever we trade or draft.

Thats not a bad collection.

A bit to work with there, imho.

Stan. said:
woey
davis
didak
holland
bucks
cole
burns
likka
tarks
johnno
rowe
leonard
shaw b
shaw h

Plus whoever we trade or draft.

Thats not a bad collection.

A bit to work with there, imho.

Also Lonie. I wouldnt over-rate it, Buckley and Burns aren't the future, and Davis aint a midfielders armpit, and questions over H Shaw and leonard IMO. B Shaw should be ok though.

Like I say , good midfield, just needs a hard working runner to break through the lines and hopefully kick a few goals.

LEON DAVIS for CALLUM CHAMBERS

Very good idea. Callum Chambers is a very good wingman, who can play on either flanks, and has pace. Collingwood's trade week has come to an end with Wirra and Bruce coming to an end as better deals are approaching, while Wirra has shown GREAT form since coming back from being dropped after a form slump. Chambers played a very good 2002 season, playing 22 games, starting 21 of those games on the bench and was very good when coming on. Since that underrated season he has been a fringe player, played a couple Very Good games late in 2003 though after a forgooten season, and this season he played only a few.

Stan - You have no idea mate - You think Wirrpunda and Chambers are soft. Have you even seen them play. You are probably one of those people who think Buckley is soft. Chambers, very good player, and not soft, while Wirrpunda might get most of his ball uncontested, but he is not soft, remember ****************, he is playing AFL Football and he is at the top. The best rebounding small defender since 2000 IMO, his skills are polished to perfection, James Clement is as good as Wirrpunda.

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Colingwood hater - but I think you guys have a couple of lean years ahead of you.

Mick and Eddie are obviously keen to inject some genuine pace and class into the midfield, bolster the defence and find a reliable mid-size forward - but it seems to me that Collingwood have very little to offer in the way of trades.

Outside of players deemed untradeable - Buckley, Fraser, Tarrant, Rocca, Burns (maybe Lockyer and Clement), who on Collingwood's list would attract quality from other clubs?

The names I keep hearing are McGough, Davis and Walker. I would suggest you'll be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for McGough, Walker hasn't shown much, and Davis is not rated very highly outside of Collingwood.

Who do you think you could realistically get for these players? Some guy was saying Davis could go to WCE for Wirrpunda - that's ridiculous! Leon Davis would be a fringe player at WCE, and another inconsistent small forward is the last thing they need, while Wirrpunda is one of their best, and only, defensive players.

Collingwood need to be more realistic - maybe it's time to trade Chris Tarrant to Brisbane for someone like Luke Power.

You'll have to give up quality to get quality.

Collingwood should be pushing really hard for Cameron Bruce; pick 7 is a good deal for him.

Maybe you should have given Didak for Nick Stevens, like Port wanted, and held onto Heath Scotland. That way you wouldn't have to talk up guys like McGough, Davis and Walker as viable trade bait for vastly superior players.
Tarrant for Power your joking

Lonie_from_50 said:
LEON DAVIS for CALLUM CHAMBERS

Very good idea. Callum Chambers is a very good wingman, who can play on either flanks, and has pace. Collingwood's trade week has come to an end with Wirra and Bruce coming to an end as better deals are approaching, while Wirra has shown GREAT form since coming back from being dropped after a form slump. Chambers played a very good 2002 season, playing 22 games, starting 21 of those games on the bench and was very good when coming on. Since that underrated season he has been a fringe player, played a couple Very Good games late in 2003 though after a forgooten season, and this season he played only a few.

Stan - You have no idea mate - You think Wirrpunda and Chambers are soft. Have you even seen them play. You are probably one of those people who think Buckley is soft. Chambers, very good player, and not soft, while Wirrpunda might get most of his ball uncontested, but he is not soft, remember ****************, he is playing AFL Football and he is at the top. The best rebounding small defender since 2000 IMO, his skills are polished to perfection, James Clement is as good as Wirrpunda.

Callum chambers is not an option in exchange for leon, maybe a fourth round pick if hes lucky. im not at all impressed by him.

Wirrpunda is soft, does not like physical contact and we do not need or want this type of player in our side you complete loser Lf50.

James clement is far superior to wirrpunda and you know why ****************.

James actually plays on someone, tredrea, hall, lloyd and so on.

Wirrpunda is a soft downhill skier with an old body because of injuries who wouldnt know accountable footy if it stood up in his porridge.

So why dont you get ********ed.

You would think the success that the Pies have in 05 would very much depend on the ability of one of Davis or Didak to step up and become a regular midfielder. I think Cole should be moved there too but then you would have to find another defender. I would say trade Shaw, O'Bree and MCG. Trading Tarrant for anything other than a Judd type player would be stupid but if you could get a top2-3 pick for Josh Fraser you would be crazy not to take it IMO.

coasting said:
You would think the success that the Pies have in 05 would very much depend on the ability of one of Davis or Didak to step up and become a regular midfielder. I think Cole should be moved there too but then you would have to find another defender. I would say trade Shaw, O'Bree and MCG. Trading Tarrant for anything other than a Judd type player would be stupid but if you could get a top2-3 pick for Josh Fraser you would be crazy not to take it IMO.
Nicely said. Agree with everything. Although Frase is one of my favorite players, we would be crazy not to take a top 3 pick for him. Guy Richards isn't that far off Fraser at the moment anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with a lot of things that are being said here.
Wirrpunda is soft and I don't think it's important for the Pies to get him. We've got a pretty good backline, with Clemo, Wakes, Presti, Cloke, Johnson and co.
Tarrant is certainly the key to our forward line, although having said that I think Davidson could come through and be our full forward.
The way I see it is that in 3 years time we'll play Davidson at full-forward and Tazza either at half-forward or on a wing.
West Coast aren't stupid enough to take another small forward like Leon - they've already got enough of them
In my opinion, Walker has a lot of potential but he would have to be trade bait. We've got enough height with Fraser, C. Cloke and Morrison.
I know it sounds cliche, but I think we should make an attempt at Judd at the end of next season. He's everything we need at the club, and with Bucks probably going at the end of next year (or the year after), we need a midfielder for the next 10 years.
Get rid of McGough or O'Bree, not both. We don't want to totally clean out our Dud Brigade. Also, the King Dud needs to go.....Andrew Williams.
Sad to see Ben Kinnear retire, although he was the Vice-President of the dud Brigade.

CC>>>

Anyone who thinks the Pies are in for a couple of lean years needs to stop smoking that brick of hash. We were crueled by injury this year (Name another side whose entire goal to goal line went down)and I can't see why we won't be back up there. We could use more pace but give me grunt over pace anyday. So enoy it for now Pie haters because retribution is coming!

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Collingwood Are Screwed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back