Why did North Melbourne chase Dusty and Kelly now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, do the North supporters really swallow the line that Dusty was ready to jump ship?
Truly delusional.

Absolutely. You lot are the ones that are experiencing some uncomfortable truths about your golden child.

In answer to the topic....because which club wouldnt want, arguably, 2 of the top 3 players in the comp in their side over 7 years?

Part of North's issue is getting belted in the midfield. It causes our defence to get bombarded. We're still a great clearance team by stoppages but when we don't win it its a big issue. Fix that with two guns and the whole dynamic changes.

Would be nice to have Goldy/Preuss, Martin, Higgins, Kelly, Cunnington in the midfield with Martin swapping with Ziebell in the fwd line. Then you have Brown in the forward line with some handy crumbers, and a backline consisting of Thompson, Tarrant and some other young kids who look good.

Didn't happen so we move on and have another crack at Kelly in 12 months (meaning starting the cycle again since he did re-sign for 2 years) and see who else may be available and other players who may be more developed in our side.

North were hit pretty hard with injuries this year, as was Freo. Expect us to be a lot more competitive next year with a better injury run, more development in kids and perhaps some added players from trades. Who knows. Things can turn quickly.

That comment you quoted of mine was about getting rid of the elderly. I don't have an opinion either way on that.

Because what you would pay for him would kill your rebuild. While you're a bottom 4 side this year and potentially for another 2 years you need to be going to the draft with your top picks.

You have to pay a minimum 95%. Would they be paying all the yet to be developed 21 year olds $500k each?

And how would an unknown kid be better than Kelly?

It was desperation. No one knows how bad this will get for North financially, because in the past they've always managed their list towards a certain level of mediocrity rather than bottoming out. But Brad Scott pushed on too long with an aging list and no young talent coming through. When that finally dawned on the hierarchy, they hit the panic button and determined that the best way to stave off bottoming out, and sinking financially, was to throw wads of cash at the best players they thought they could get.

A year after they were in a prelim in 2007, they were almost shipped off to the Gold Coast, and they weren't even that bad.

No pokies, sub-30000 membership, sub-15000 crowds regularly, will do them in within a couple of years. Martin and Kelly would have ensured they finished more in the 12th to 14th area of ladder mediocrity that would keep just enough fans still hoping.

Last edited:
Dusty going to North Melbourne
images

Do you really believe what this man say's

images

A: To win a premiership.

We missed Dusty by a week.
Not to win a premiership. It was pure desperation to gain some relevance from the afl community. That became a huge fail and made north a laughing stock when they couldn't get one, let alone both players. It's the old ambition mixed up with ability (to land either player)

No you didn't. Dustin wasn't even close to leaving. Carr played your club along as a sacrificial goat. Everyone knows that. Dustin never had any intention of leaving, he even gave up the chance of more $millions from north.
But keep telling yourself that. Don't forget to mention your claim of the Puma $millions the afl signed off on for Dustin ;)

A
Kelly has been placed on standby for two years.
I commend my club on its boldness.

Standby. :D You're desperately hoping you mean.. Why didn't he just wait to after the season, perhaps win GF, jobs done and then head off to north.
I guessing, but doubt he'll ever go to north now.

Desperately bold. Keep trying. But you may be better keeping your picks for the aggressive reset and going to the draft. Unless you have little faith in your recruiters being able to spot some talent.

Kelly will just keep North tagging along for another 2 years then sign with
St Kilda
Melbourne
Hawthorn
Carlton

North are like that old wife that just keeps waiting for her husband to come home whilst he is with a younger more attractive lady
But North will just keep waiting

Kangaroos are not a place where gun players want to go to.

All the $$$ in the world won't get them there as shown by Dusty and Kelly shunning them.

Good on them for trying. Enticing bit players like Marley Williams, Paul Ahern and Nathan Hrovat only get you so far.

It was desperation. No one knows how bad this will get for North financially, because in the past they've always managed their list towards a certain level of mediocrity rather than bottoming out. But Brad Scott pushed on too long with an aging list and no young talent coming through. When that finally dawned on the hierarchy, they hit the panic button and determined that the best way to stave off bottoming out, and sinking financially, was to throw wads of cash at the best players they thought they could get.

A year after they were in a prelim in 2007, they were almost shipped off to the Gold Coast, and they weren't even that bad.

No pokies, sub-30000 membership, sub-15000 crowds regularly, will do them in within a couple of years. Martin and Kelly would have ensured they finished more in the 12th to 14th area of ladder mediocrity that would keep just enough fans still hoping.
The obsession continues.

We aren't just in your brain, we own it.

I have just barely kept up with the games this year so have had very little clue about who was potential on the trading block and the strengths of the draft, or opponent's lists to be honest. Having said that there was plenty of news around about such public chasing of two players at other clubs. I have also noticed that after scraping into a few prelims they gave up on the list they were building under Scott and begun a root and branch rebuild by delisting a few legends of the game.

I personally wince when I hear Essendon may be involved in a trade like Kelly. Yes he is maybe the best young mid in the game, but when they are not FA then the price is too high. Even a smaller club like North can get all the money they need to pay out a whole list these days so the only commodity that is both free and priceless is draft picks. This can be especially bad for teams trying to rebuild. A player comes in who isn't part of that and pushes them up the ladder too quickly. This isn't just about getting higher picks next year, it is about the players being given the responsibility on match day and having the list form naturally as you find the right players for the roles you need.

As long as Essendon has enough brown paper bags room in the salary cap, then I am all for FA. The other team normally gets some compensation and it cost us nothing. The player who has now built his future around playing footy also gets to transition to a new work place with a lot less stress.

What were North thinking when trying to do this now? They have years to go before they're even middle of the road. They need to be going to the draft, for the reasons above. Also getting a gun player like Dusty makes sense for a young team on the fringes of the 8 and have a hole in the list that he fills. Essendon is a good example of a young 6th-12th team who is lacking very good inside mids. St Kilda may want some extra midfield pace. Doggies and Melbourne would want KPDs.

I personally think North have dodged a bullet with both of these guys saying no. It was the wrong time for them. Having said that it was really embarrassing to act like the little brother to the whole league.

How do North fans think about it? Despite those two potentially being the best mid in his peak and best mid entering his peak, does anyone else think that this was also a stupid list strategy? Shouldn't North be now front loading for two more seasons where they draft heavily, then go hard with a war chest?
What is this rubbish? Scraping into prelims? Years before middle of the road??

Crap threads are crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The obsession continues.

We aren't just in your brain, we own it.

Fair cop. I concede that there are times, perhaps too many, where I venture away from the Melbourne board to bait supporters of other clubs, and North is a favourite of mine. However, there are also times that I'm deadly serious - this is one such time.

Ralph just used North to build his brand. Dusty stayed for $1.1m and avoided North like the plague.

Kelly never wanted North and never will want North. Will flag chase and will want to play in front of big crowds for a respected club. I wouldn't rule us out in a couple of years.

Why did North go for them? Simple. They needed to show their supporters that they're trying to sign players. They know they can't attract elite talent due to their status but they're leading their supporters to believe they are trying. It worked. Did you see the Kelly and Dusty threads on their boards? It sold them hope and it's enough to keep them interested.

Good post.

Ralph just used North to build his brand. Dusty stayed for $1.1m and avoided North like the plague.

Kelly never wanted North and never will want North. Will flag chase and will want to play in front of big crowds for a respected club. I wouldn't rule us out in a couple of years.

Why did North go for them? Simple. They needed to show their supporters that they're trying to sign players. They know they can't attract elite talent due to their status but they're leading their supporters to believe they are trying. It worked. Did you see the Kelly and Dusty threads on their boards? It sold them hope and it's enough to keep them interested.
It's three days before your team plays in a grand final. Get over it.
I hope you recover in time to catch the game.

It's three days before your team plays in a grand final. Get over it.
I hope you recover in time to catch the game.
No one here is trolling North. Just because you don't like what you read does not make it a troll.

Maybe you should take your mindless drivel to the bay if you're incapable of having a mature discussion.

No one here is trolling North. Just because you don't like what you read does not make it a troll.

Maybe you should take your mindless drivel to the bay if you're incapable of having a mature discussion.
Incorrect. I like what I read. It amuses me. You're not trolling North, you're trolling yourself.
North went after two of the best players in the comp and failed. In the process you got frightened that a team that has dominated yours for decades might poach your best player.
Good luck on Saturday.
Go tiges.

Incorrect. I like what I read. It amuses me. You're not trolling North, you're trolling yourself.
North went after two of the best players in the comp and failed. In the process you got frightened that a team that has dominated yours for decades might poach your best player.
Good luck on Saturday.
Go tiges.
All I did was come here and present some facts. I didn't mean to get you so emotionally agitated. You're now coming back at me with all guns blazing because the facts I provided don't sit well with you.

I just want to discuss the topic at hand, which is the reasoning behind North going for unrealistic targets and your inability to land said targets.

This thread is the harsh reality, pal. If you want to be back in la la land, go to the trading thread on your board.

All I did was come here and present some facts. I didn't mean to get you so emotionally agitated. You're now coming back at me with all guns blazing because the facts I provided don't sit well with you.

I just want to discuss the topic at hand, which is the reasoning behind North going for unrealistic targets and your inability to land said targets.

This thread is the harsh reality, pal. If you want to be back in la la land, go to the trading thread on your board.
As I said. Go tiges.

Reading minds is a gift. You're truly gifted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why did North Melbourne chase Dusty and Kelly now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back